Sad Techno Mishap, Was it Due to Defects? Find out here! (PICS!)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Scorpion wrote:Thank you! This actually made me feel the best out of all the posts. I have dropped everything of value too. :mad: My iphone, macbook, Paramilitary 2, and now my Techno. I thought I was the only one!
Hah no problem! Every scratch, dent, and broken screen is a lesson learned the hard way which is apparently how I prefer to learn things. It's also how I learn what brands to buy. Samsung and Dell don't last long in my possession, but I have yet to be let down by a Spyderco despite my best efforts.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Scorpion wrote:Thank you! This actually made me feel the best out of all the posts. I have dropped everything of value too. :mad: My iphone, macbook, Paramilitary 2, and now my Techno. I thought I was the only one!
Not by a long shot. Off the top of my head, within the past year: iPhone (on the sidewalk), notebook computer, 2013 Forum Rift (Benchmade), Ti/G10 Military, Sebenza 21, Gayle Bradley, and more milk cartons, eggs and yogurt containers than I could count.

Not sure how old you are. It gets worse as the years go by...

My most colorful "drop": cellphone left on roof of car about 10 years ago; stayed on the roof for some reason until I got to the interstate, where it finally "fell" off the roof.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

JNewell wrote:... Ti/G10 Military....
I cringe thinking about this! :eek:
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
sok

Post by sok »

Scorpion wrote: I thought I was the only one!
Heh heh, nope. That is why a lot of us were surprised at your reaction to the knife dropping incident. For some of us, your story is standard fare. :cool:
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

xceptnl wrote:I cringe thinking about this! :eek:
I was (1) annoyed at myself and (2) disappointed, but the fact is it's probably my all-around favorite Spyderco, and certainly one of the two or three knives that are my favorite folder category. So...shrug...these things happen. :) :spyder:
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Most of us learned to sharpen because we damaged our edges and didn't want to throw out perfectly good tools.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
WorkingEdge

Post by WorkingEdge »

I've dropped and scratched my Techno. It now sports a polished blade (as I didn't like the look of a big scratch on the stonewash).
If your Techno belonged to me, it would now be sporting some polished Ti scales to match.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

SolidState wrote:Most of us learned to sharpen because we damaged our edges and didn't want to throw out perfectly good tools.
;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I love knives, have ever since I got my first one 37-38? years ago. Don't think there was a policy where I could send a knife in to be refurbished - not that I could of afforded it anyway. So I was expected to learn how to sharpen & maintain my pocket knife. Even with all that, I still think I baby my knives. Regardless, they are tools meant to be used. Use will add wear & tear to them over time. Think of it as adding character. Look up some pics of old slipjoints. You'll see blades that have been sharpened so much they almost look like awls. While I'd agree that's an excessive amount, imagine the stories that knife could tell.

You've gotten past the initial character marks. Sharpen that Techo up and use it like a rented mule.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

Ok guys, I think I may send it to Golden. Any idea on how a stonewashed finish will look with parts buffed? Should I ask for the whole thing to be polished? Will the titanium look lighter?
Donut

Post by Donut »

JNewell wrote: Not sure how old you are. It gets worse as the years go by...
I took a martial arts class for a month. We used these bamboo sticks, called bastons. To stress the importance of keeping hold of your weapon, you had to do push ups each time you dropped it. They say as you get more experienced, the work you have to do after dropping something increases.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

Hey guys, I'm sure your all gonna hate me for this but I sold the Techno and lost $20 between buying and selling, which I think is acceptable. $20 is much less than the cost of a decent sharpening/reprofiling system and even less than sending it to Golden to get refurbished. Lastly, I wasn't finding it any more useful than my Manbug, and a lot harder to carry, as well as a lot more to worry about. I will likely buy another Techno in the future, since it is such a tank little knife, but not as a hard user, probably more of an around the home knife.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Buying a sharpening system, and learning how to use it, would of saved you money down the road.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

I guess, but only if I became a real collector. I plan on using what I get and atm I don't see much need beyond what I can handle with my Manbug.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

You probably did the right thing for you. I don't think you were going to be happy with that one so if you only lost $20 that's as good as you could hope for. On a completely unrelated note, I would still highly recommend getting a sharpmaker and spending a bit of time learning to sharpen. Whether you are a collector or just have a couple of users, you are going to need to sharpen. It will really enrich the experience of owning and using knives.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Sounds like you made a good move for your situation.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Scorpion wrote:I guess, but only if I became a real collector. I plan on using what I get and atm I don't see much need beyond what I can handle with my Manbug.
All the more reason to have a means to sharpen them! You don't need any fancy system, just get a pocket stone like the Double Stuff or try and find a 701 file. Heck I barely ever use the white grit, I'd be fine with just my brown 701.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Scorpion wrote:Hey guys, I'm sure your all gonna hate me for this but I sold the Techno and lost $20 between buying and selling, which I think is acceptable. $20 is much less than the cost of a decent sharpening/reprofiling system and even less than sending it to Golden to get refurbished. Lastly, I wasn't finding it any more useful than my Manbug, and a lot harder to carry, as well as a lot more to worry about. I will likely buy another Techno in the future, since it is such a tank little knife, but not as a hard user, probably more of an around the home knife.
Wow.

It's not just an "around the home knife". You are simply too anal about your knives. There was ZERO wrong with your Techno. I suggest your next knife is completely plastic.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Threads like these remind me there are some really weird people out there...
Bradley Folder 2 CPM M4
Military ​​​CTS XHP​ - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​
Para Military 2CTS​ XHP - CTS 204P
Manix 2 CTS XHP - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​ - CPM​ M4
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

^^^ :D Somebody said once:

'The world in absolutely insane, only with some small patches of sanity here and there'.
:rolleyes:
Stay Sharp!