Which is a good Spyderco in case of coyote/wild dog attack?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

and it was one of my favorite shirts
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Yes, but I'd take the cane or stick before the pepper spray probably.
Chuck, I was visualizing the bear spray ones like small kitchen fire extinguishers. They are pretty long ranged and spread out in a large area unlike the cans cops and CO's carry.

I have many, many personal experiences with CN, CS, and pepper spray of all models, strengths, hotness ratings, etc. They won't stop a determined attacker who has experience with them. In fact, to be completely reliable I had to wait until the person was gassed and catch him sucking air and fill that intake of air ( breath) with liquid agent of whatever kind being used. I have been through training enough times, been in small areas ( with CN and CS ) enough times where I got a dose, and was splashed by all of the above , sprayed by idiot co- workers , etc and other than occasionally giving me blisters it just gets me angry. Very, very angry in fact.

It's best used on people who haven't felt it yet. Non determined attackers, crowds not directly involved but in the way and refusing to move, etc.

Most of the guys in my facility would take a face full and come after us. NO ONE came after us when we got it down their trachea. Like a choke hold, or a drowning person all they think of is regaining their ability to breathe. No higher thought processes remain during that time.

There again you know from experience even someone getting shot isn't a guarantee they will stop. Not even with fatal wounds in my experience. Unless you destroy a persons or animals structural supports ( knees, hips, etc) , or unplug them from their CNS/brain stem there will be some time and movement left to them.

With animals typically if you hit them hard enough their reaction is to flee. There are exceptions and they should be treated like a missed shot. Repeat until you get desired results. :)

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
JBE

Post by JBE »

The Mastiff wrote:1) firearm where possible. No mini gun like NAA 22 revolver, or derringer. A real firearm. Shotgun or carbine hopefully then a pistol.
2) pepper spray
3) stick/cane.impact device
4) machete
5) knife
And no reason not to carry a combination of those items, especially if you know you'll be in a "high-risk" area for those type of attacks. Always have options. A walking stick, pepper spray and a large folder or fixed blade would be a good combo for those who can't carry a firearm for whatever reason.

#1 works very well...a 5.56/.223 will roll a coyote quite easily...ask me how I know :D
Jason
timlara

Post by timlara »

I'd bring my trusty cat. :D

[video=youtube;nI867wz93Lw]https://youtu.be/nI867wz93Lw[/video]
stevekolt

Post by stevekolt »

10 mm or .45 ACP...just my .02 :)
NRA Lifetime Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol, Rifle, Personal Protection In The Home
GOA Lifetime Member
Knife Rights Charter Member
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

stevekolt wrote:10 mm or .45 ACP... or just my .22 :)
FTFY ;)

Gordon