Question to gun people: what is your opinion about 1911

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TheFactor

Post by TheFactor »

My Glock 30S 45acp the grouping is a little tighter but high and right . For some reason most of my Glocks I shoot a tad high and right . It's not the Glock it has to be my finger position on the trigger I'm guessing and my grip .

JBE

Post by JBE »

TheFactor wrote:My Glock 30S 45acp the grouping is a little tighter but high and right . For some reason most of my Glocks I shoot a tad high and right . It's not the Glock it has to be my finger position on the trigger I'm guessing and my grip .

That's usually caused by "heeling", which means you are slightly anticipating recoil and tightening your grip with your shooting hand just prior to the gun discharging.
Jason
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

TheFactor wrote:Thanks, I'd probably enjoy it to :)
Although qualification for my permits would be more entertaining to see on video it involves shooting behind barricades , draw shooting, shooting from the prone position and timed exercises. I think my least favorite is doing push-ups then jogging in place for 3 minutes , sprinting the last minute and then drawing and shooting lol .
I guess not huh?
TheFactor

Post by TheFactor »

JBE wrote:That's usually caused by "heeling", which means you are slightly anticipating recoil and tightening your grip with your shooting hand just prior to the gun discharging.
Your probably right especially with the 45acp since it has a little more punch .
TheFactor

Post by TheFactor »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I guess not huh?
Wow your pretty quick :)
But you know that's a pretty good idea I'm sure watching a video would help much as far what's going on with any bad habits that one could pick up over the years and not realizing it .
JBE

Post by JBE »

TheFactor wrote:Your probably right especially with the 45acp since it has a little more punch .
That and the smaller frame of the 30S, especially if you normally shoot full-size Glocks.
Jason
TheFactor

Post by TheFactor »

JBE wrote:That and the smaller frame of the 30S, especially if you normally shoot full-size Glocks.
Good point and that was my first trip to the range with my 30S . That's one that I did a trigger undercut on to give my hand/ fingers more room . I do have a G27 and 23 so I am use to a smaller frame Glocks . But that 30S does have a little more kick although shoots very nice .
Uplandhunter333

Post by Uplandhunter333 »

IMHO your choice of a 1911 type handgun is superb. Look at the time the 1911 has been around and used in competition, concealed carry, combat, etc. It was my assigned gun for over 20 years while on active duty in the US Army. As with anything mechanical there are detractors. Not me. I recently bought a Kimber 1911 in 9mm because years ago I broke a wrist and it was never repaired. I now hurts a lot to shoot a 45ACP so I went to the 9 because of the reduced recoil. Love it and haven't looked back. Again, good choice and please keep us informed as to your choice.

Oh, I carry a Spyderco Dragonfly everyday and a Leatherman Wave.
JBE

Post by JBE »

TheFactor wrote:Good point and that was my first trip to the range with my 30S . That's one that I did a trigger undercut on to give my hand/ fingers more room . I do have a G27 and 23 so I am use to a smaller frame Glocks . But that 30S does have a little more kick although shoots very nice .
Is the frame/grip of the 30S slimmer than the 27 and 23?

I had to make some minor adjustments transitioning from the fatter grips of the Gen 3's to the slimmer grips of the Gen 4's.
Jason
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

A good design for its time. Definitely a classic. I have no desire to own one. Too many parts and springs. Very finicky with ammo tolerances, carbon fouling and other grime. Im a low browed knuckle dragger that likes simple things that go boom no matter what.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

TheFactor wrote:My Glock 30S 45acp the grouping is a little tighter but high and right . For some reason most of my Glocks I shoot a tad high and right . It's not the Glock it has to be my finger position on the trigger I'm guessing and my grip .

Try drifting you rear sight to the left and try lighter bullets. Heavy slow bullets stay in the barrel longer until the pistol has started into the recoil curve and shoot high where as light fast bullets zip through the barrel and will shoot lower.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

JBE wrote:That's usually caused by "heeling", which means you are slightly anticipating recoil and tightening your grip with your shooting hand just prior to the gun discharging.
I find that especially when I shoot a .45 ACP in the 1911, all of the recoil comes straight back into my hand, like a punch or push. I'm much more accurate with that than a 9mm which I find snaps up but not back into me. But I mostly shoot .357 Mag, which I guess would be in the middle of those to recoil mechanics?
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
TheFactor

Post by TheFactor »

JBE wrote:Is the frame/grip of the 30S slimmer than the 27 and 23?

I had to make some minor adjustments transitioning from the fatter grips of the Gen 3's to the slimmer grips of the Gen 4's.
The grip is a little thicker I believe on my G30S but on the my G27 I can only get 3 fingers on the grip without mag extension which I don't care for I'd rather have my pinky hanging off . The G23 is a full grip . Like I mentioned I did a trigger guard under cut on my 30s for more room .
TheFactor

Post by TheFactor »

RanCoWeAla wrote:Try drifting you rear sight to the left and try lighter bullets. Heavy slow bullets stay in the barrel longer until the pistol has started into the recoil curve and shoot high where as light fast bullets zip through the barrel and will shoot lower.
I haven't been back to the range yet with it but my rear sight was off from the factory and centered it back . I was shooting 230grain rounds though .
JBE

Post by JBE »

TheFactor wrote:The grip is a little thicker I believe on my G30S but on the my G27 I can only get 3 fingers on the grip without mag extension which I don't care for I'd rather have my pinky hanging off . The G23 is a full grip . Like I mentioned I did a trigger guard under cut on my 30s for more room .
Nice job on the trigger guard.

When I first started shooting Glocks everyone and their brother told me that just had to have a 19. Those same people had to modify their 19's to fit their hands comfortably. Funny thing is, the first time I picked one up, I hated the way it felt. However, the 17 and 26 both fit my hand perfect and those are the ones I shoot and carry. Like you, I can only get 3 fingers on the 26 and I hate mag extensions. If I want more rounds, I'll feed it 19 or 17 mags. In fact, when I carry my 26, my spare mag is a 17-rounder.
Jason
JBE

Post by JBE »

Strong-Dog wrote:I find that especially when I shoot a .45 ACP in the 1911, all of the recoil comes straight back into my hand, like a punch or push. I'm much more accurate with that than a 9mm which I find snaps up but not back into me. But I mostly shoot .357 Mag, which I guess would be in the middle of those to recoil mechanics?
1911's are usually heavier, which helps lessen perceived/felt recoil and a quality 1911 can help mask flaws in basic shooting mechanics that will become obvious when a shooter transitions to a different gun platform.
Jason
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

JBE wrote:1911's are usually heavier, which helps lessen perceived/felt recoil and a quality 1911 can help mask flaws in basic shooting mechanics that will become obvious when a shooter transitions to a different gun platform.
Yep.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
TheFactor

Post by TheFactor »

JBE wrote:Nice job on the trigger guard.

When I first started shooting Glocks everyone and their brother told me that just had to have a 19. Those same people had to modify their 19's to fit their hands comfortably. Funny thing is, the first time I picked one up, I hated the way it felt. However, the 17 and 26 both fit my hand perfect and those are the ones I shoot and carry. Like you, I can only get 3 fingers on the 26 and I hate mag extensions. If I want more rounds, I'll feed it 19 or 17 mags. In fact, when I carry my 26, my spare mag is a 17-rounder.
Thanks ! It was something I didn't really want to do but felt I had to or sell it . Loved it so decided to do the trigger guard undercut. Great choices the 17 and 26 are great guns . That's a great feature with Glocks being able to run different mags as long as there the same caliber unless there a single stack 45 . I have a 33 round 9 mm and I think it's a 22 round in 40cal can't remember there in my drawer lol . Can't wait to run some rounds threw them .
How a gun feels in the hand is totally different for everyone , some fit and some don't lol.
v8r

Post by v8r »

I don't get the whole thing about people being so paranoid about a 1911 being cocked and locked. The pistol was designed to be carried that way. Also .45 ACP is not a brutal caliber to shoot. I also do not understand why people are so in love with the 9 MM and Glocks. Don't get me wrong Glock makes a good handgun, but it isn't for everyone. I usually tell people forget what name is stamped on the slide and buy a handgun that fits you well in a caliber that will stop something or someone if you were to have to use it. If the handgun fits you well the recoil will be a lot more manageable than a handgun that you bought because everyone else said it was the best. The 9mm is also a good round,but when it comes to stopping power you have to get a 9mm+p round to do what a .45 ACP will do at normal velocities.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Proof that some designs do hold up to the test of time. 1925 made 1911 still running smooth after 89+ years. (action starts at 2:36)

[video=youtube_share;Bp-HFVG_c4Q]http://youtu.be/Bp-HFVG_c4Q?t=2m36s[/video]
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*