Question to gun people: what is your opinion about 1911

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

kbuzbee wrote:Oh yeah! If I wanted a 1911, it would be that one. But, honestly, if I wanted a Colt, I'd hunt down a Python. Those were so sweet. To this day I regret not buying one, though I gotta say, my 500 is da bomb! ;)

Ken
Perfectly stated, Ken! My dad kicked himself too for passing one up. Those are real gems to be sure. He ended up buying a Ruger GP100 (.357) and was fairly pleased with it.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bh49

Post by bh49 »

kbuzbee wrote: But, honestly, if I wanted a Colt, I'd hunt down a Python. Those were so sweet.
Ken
Super sweet, but not made any more and probably cost 3 time as much as 1911. They are thinking about making again, but that is not that easy. It need to be completely redesign to be manufacturable. And this is very expensive and new ones will be as expensive as the old on secondary market.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

You'll have lots of fun with it Roman. I can tell you that right now. :D

9mm in a full sized 1911 will be a hoot to shoot. :D
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Here is my suggestion to you Roman:

http://cz-usa.com/hammer/wp-content/upl ... n-nine.png

When it comes to 1911 pistols, you usually get what you pay for. Dan Wesson makes great pistols.

I don't have a Pointman, but I do own an ECO in .45 acp. It is a sweet shooting pistol.

Here's mine:

Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Please, if you're gonna get a 1911 go .45 ACP
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I don't love the 1911 enough to carry one anymore, but it's still the only auto I've ever trusted enough to carry. If I was looking for affordable shooting with a 1911, I'd go with one in .22 LR. For anything else, I'd stick with .45 ACP. Back in the day, I shot thousands of rounds of target loads through a .45 Gold Cup and thousands more of hardball through several regular 1911's without a single jam. OTOH, the .38 Gold Cup, while very accurate, was the second least reliable auto I ever owned. The least reliable being a 1911 in .38 Super which I got for a song because it couldn't fire 2 clips worth without a jam, and sold for a song after trying for a year to improve it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

IMO, the 1911 is a great gun for going to the range and punching paper. My hand prefers one with a flat backstrap, a narrow single stack magazine and an extended trigger (Gold Cup). I put a many a round through my Colt Gold Cup and regret trading it off, but I did get an 8" target Python .38 Special only revolver, that is tucked away NIB. The only thing even close for me in 9mm is my HK P9S. Better? My S&W Model 52 .38 (wad cutter only) target pistol. Colts are nice, but you will pay for the name. My Gold Cup had excellent target sights and a great trigger. it also had a collet bushing and a slide was not very tight, not acceptable for what it cost. It did load and fire everything I put in the magazine.

Considerations:
If you have never owned firearms, have you had any firearms safety and shooting instruction?
As a new shooter owner, I would start out with a .22 to learn gun handling and trigger control without the complication of recoil. Browning is now making 1911 style pistols in .22 and the Ruger .45 (grip style/angle) pistols are another possibility.
Get to a range that rents pistols and try them out, try before you buy. Some firearms feel great in the gun store and are awful when fired, only your hands will know.
I prefer autos over wheel guns because I only have one tube to clean, six guns have seven. :)

Defensive carry is a completely different subject from range shooting and IMO, there are better pistols for the that use.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Here's a pic of the Browning 1911-22 mentioned by The Deacon. It is a scaled down pistol so it is not exactly the same size as a 1911.

JNewell

Post by JNewell »

kbuzbee wrote:Oh yeah! If I wanted a 1911, it would be that one. But, honestly, if I wanted a Colt, I'd hunt down a Python. Those were so sweet. To this day I regret not buying one, though I gotta say, my 500 is da bomb! ;)

Ken
I've owned a couple and they are works of art - almost literally. But when things go wrong, and they will, there are about three people left who can really fix them, and service is not cheap. :(
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I certainly will take safety class.
Probably I need to explain better my possible choice. A lot of personal here.

1. Currently I am involved in making main components of this weapon, so I learned interesting things about 1911 and got very impressed with history and genius of design. If I proceed, my gun will have Receiver (frame) and slide made, inspected, marked and so on by people, who I know for years. This will make this gun very special for me.
2. This is American designed and made weapon. Made by legendary company, which I am aware of since I saw the first western, probably 50 years ago. Each revolver we, kids called Colt. Back than I couldn't even imagine that I will ever be able to own Colt.
3. I am not positive, but there is a good chance that I will be able to enjoy discount and will be minimal change to convert this weapon to 9mm.
4. Knives or guns or flashlights- aesthetic is very important for me. I really like the look of this gun and how it feels in the hand.
JNewell wrote:I've had Colts that were really lemons, but when they're right, there's nothing sweeter. Better values, sure, but overall ownership experience - nah. ;)
John,
To the best of my knowledge, it was time, when Colt was loosing money making handguns for civilians. They almost shutdown handgun devision and strip them out of resources. Now it is on the rise. Resources are back.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

Strong-Dog wrote:Please, if you're gonna get a 1911 go .45 ACP
Agreed. Its like Apple Pie and Vanilla Ice Cream. They just go together so well. Get a .45ACP 1911 and a Glock 19 and you will have a great pair of guns.
Current Spydies....
Captain
Persian
Chinook 3
Manix 2
Stretch (Black CE and Blue ZDP)
Military (orange, brown, and CF)
Para Military 1 (black) (My EDC)
Para Military 2 (grey, orange, brown, blue, green)
Khukuri
Sage 1, 2, 3, & 4
Dodo
Chokwe
Gayle Bradley
Caly 3.5 Super Blue
UKPK
Urban (Wharncliffe and Leaf)
Progrip
Endura (white, orange, and G10)
Delica x6
Dragonfly x2
Ladybug x4
Perrin Street Bowie
Super Leaf

JNewell

Post by JNewell »

They've come close a few times...life has ups and downs. o: :)

I grew up in Hartford. My grandfather was a great Colt believer. Drove by the blue onion dome all the time. Still have some of my grandfather's Colts. Very interested reading your explanations - makes a ton of sense and wish you the very best! :spyder:
bh49 wrote:I certainly will take safety class.
Probably I need to explain better my possible choice. A lot of personal here.

1. Currently I am involved in making main components of this weapon, so I learned interesting things about 1911 and got very impressed with history and genius of design. If I proceed, my gun will have Receiver (frame) and slide made, inspected, marked and so on by people, who I know for years. This will make this gun very special for me.
2. This is American designed and made weapon. Made by legendary company, which I am aware of since I saw the first western, probably 50 years ago. Each revolver we, kids called Colt. Back than I couldn't even imagine that I will ever be able to own Colt.
3. I am not positive, but there is a good chance that I will be able to enjoy discount and will be minimal change to convert this weapon to 9mm.
4. Knives or guns or flashlights- aesthetic is very important for me. I really like the look of this gun and how it feels in the hand.

John,
To the best of my knowledge, it was time, when Colt was loosing money making handguns for civilians. They almost shutdown handgun devision and strip them out of resources. Now it is on the rise. Resources are back.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

bh49 wrote: To the best of my knowledge, it was time, when Colt was loosing money making handguns for civilians. They almost shutdown handgun devision and strip them out of resources. Now it is on the rise. Resources are back.
Python II, BABY! 6" stainless steel ported barrel with factory trits. I'd be in!

Ken
玉鋼
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Thank you John.
may be we will have a beer or some red wine, when you will be in the area. And of cause I am jealous about grandfather's Colts :)

Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

My Range Officer .45 with some of my EDC stuff.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Officer Gigglez wrote:My Range Officer .45 with some of my EDC stuff.
sweet gun

Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

A 9mm might expand....a 45 ACP is not known to have ever shrunk...
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

It is hard to go wrong with any handgun model from any of the major manufacturers.

I like the 1911 design and there are more companies making good versions of this design now than ever in the past. The OP said "modified for 9mm", there are probably some companies currently making them in 9mm. Personally I think the design is best in .45ACP.
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

Kimber Aegis Custom, it comes chambered in 9mm.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

The only caliber I'd recommend besides .45 is to get a 1911 chambered in 9mm and get a .357 Sig barrel for it. Idk if people even make those for sure, I'm sure someone has to though
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill