Going to Uganda in July, What Spyderco(s) should I bring?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Interzone

Post by Interzone »

Why not the Chokwe? Why not test it out in it's continent of origin! Spyderco Chokwe:

Knives as essential tools exist in every culture on earth. Their shape and style are dictated by their people's needs, be those agricultural, spiritual or self preserving. Certainly ethnic styles of cutlery have been lost to history but many designs are still used today and revered in their countries. Taking those individual designs and adding a Spyderco touch is the core of Spyderco's Ethnic Series folders and most recently the C132 Spyderco Chokwe.

Chokwe people live in the Zambia/Democratic Republic of Congo region of Central Africa. Primarily agricultural, they are gatherers, fishermen and hunters. Highly positioned in Chokwe society are their blacksmiths who craft fixed-blade knives for daily use in feeding, harvesting and protecting their communities. Our Chokwe folder is patterned off a historic fixed-blade, keeping true to the triangular shaped blade and coffin-shaped handle. The blade is CPM S30V blade steel and flat-ground for cutting performance. The handle is black G-10 with bored out handle holes reducing overall weight and making through holes for attachment to a longer handle or pole. Full length internal liner reinforces the locking device, a Chris Reeve style integral lock. Metal hourglass clip carries the knife tucked in a pocket tip-down right hand carry.

Nothing on the modern market is like it. It may look modern and streamlined but the original design is hundreds if not thousands of years old. Necessity generates function and in the knife world that can happen in central Africa a few hundred years ago. It can also happen in Golden, Colorado in 2009.

Spyderco will donate approximately 5% of sales of the Chokwe to the Keep a Child Alive Organization. Keep a Child Alive is dedicated to providing life-saving anti-retroviral treatment, care and support services to children and their families with HIV/AIDS in Africa and the developing world by directly engaging the global public in the fight against AIDS. For more information, please visit http://www.keepachildalive.org - such a really perfect edc at that, I used to think it was a little odd, but the more I look at it, what a hansom knife!
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

hawkeye180 wrote:Thank you all for your recommendations. I am seriously considering a ZDP-189 Stretch and a Salt 1. Other options that are at the forefront include the Spyderco Military in all black, the Endura in grey FRN scales, or a different Delica.

Someone mentioned a Salt 1 serrated. Why do you think the serrated blade has to offer? I don't have much experience with them.
I personally HATE serrated blades. I would recommend one to you if and only if, A.) You'll be cutting fibrous materials all day, and B.) You are not bringing any sharpening equipment but are planning to do a whole lot of cutting. Otherwise, I'd steer clear. If you are planning on general cutting chores as well as the ever present thought that you may need to defend yourself, out of what you mentioned the easy choice is the Military.
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Opinions vary, but I love spydercos serrated edge knives. There is very little that i can't do with one and they excel in certain areas. I was cleaning fish yesterday and was struggling (with a pe knife that is hair popping sharp) getting through thick skin and bones on some of the larger ones...until I grabbed my serrated pacific salt that is...pocket chainsaw. Serrated edges will do about anything that a pe will do and some things way better. I understand that some just prefer pe knives, and thats cool but if I was going to carry two then one of them would definitely be serrated.

Also, I agree with strongdog that the Millie would be a great option if you don't mind carrying a more expensive knife.
josemfuente

Post by josemfuente »

Following Lance's recommendation (arratsaldeon mate),I would say a mix of a serrated edge and a plain one. For the SE, I would say Native Lightweight DLC and Paramilitary for PE.

I am planning a trip yo Hawaii and I do intend to go with a DLC SE native and a SE delica or Salt 1.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

josemfuente wrote:Following Lance's recommendation (arratsaldeon mate),I would say a mix of a serrated edge and a plain one. For the SE, I would say Native Lightweight DLC and Paramilitary for PE.

I am planning a trip yo Hawaii and I do intend to go with a DLC SE native and a SE delica or Salt 1.
Epa! Zer moduz? Que hace un basquo en Madrid?! Cuidado! Ese lugar está lleno de Españoles!! ;) hehehe

The native is a cool knife but if you don't own any serrated h1 you really should go with the salt 1! Especially for Hawaii! :)
josemfuente

Post by josemfuente »

Surfingringo wrote:Epa! Zer moduz? Que hace un basquo en Madrid?! Cuidado! Ese lugar está lleno de Españoles!! ;) hehehe

The native is a cool knife but if you don't own any serrated h1 you really should go with the salt 1! Especially for Hawaii! :)
Oso ondo! Eta zu? I'm not basque but I have a lot of friends there and I do travel there very often. Los españoles estamos por todo el mundo!

So I should try a salt 1 but I'm a little concerned about the strength of the steel. Is it resistant to use? Can you carve wood and so on? Your strong knowledge is welcome.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey jose, plain edged h1 has decent edge retention. It will depend a lot on what you are cutting. As far as wood I think it should work quite well. Hopefully Jazz will weigh in on this. If I'm not mistaken, he does a lot of wood carving and I believe h1 is his steel of choice for that. The bad news is, it will not hold an edge as long as some of the high wear resistance steels like s110v or even s30v. The good news is it is extremely easy to sharpen and will take a very very sharp edge. It is also more prone to rolling than chipping if you push it beyond its limits, which is easier to repair on a sharpener. Add to that the fact that it is completely rust proof and the good far outweighs the bad in my opinion. Spyderco uses a LOT of different steels in their knives but if I had to pick one that I thought everyone should own at least one knife in it would be h1.

P.S. And we haven't even talked about how the process of cutting serrations into it changes the hardness drastically and turns it into something that could be classified as a "super steel". But that's another story for another thread. :)
josemfuente

Post by josemfuente »

Thanks a lot for the info, Bro!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

josemfuente wrote:Oso ondo! Eta zu? I'm not basque but I have a lot of friends there and I do travel there very often. Los españoles estamos por todo el mundo!

So I should try a salt 1 but I'm a little concerned about the strength of the steel. Is it resistant to use? Can you carve wood and so on? Your strong knowledge is welcome.
Agur ! I know it is quite off topic but I'd like to see an ethnic basque spyderco as a response to navaja :p .And I wish to express my deeply respect for the basque people.A brave and proud people !!!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

elena86 wrote:Agur ! I know it is quite off topic but I'd like to see an ethnic basque spyderco as a response to navaja :p .And I wish to express my deeply respect for the basque people.A brave and proud people !!!
Hah, don't tell me, I live with one. Sometimes a little too proud. :rolleyes: ;)

Interesting idea on the basque folder though. I'll be over there this summer and do a little sniffing around and see what I can find out about traditional basque knives.
markg

Post by markg »

When going to countries in the Developing World, as some have noted, self defense is not a consideration. Being sentenced to life as a foreigner in a third world prison might be worse than death... Anyway.

In most developing nations, cutting tools (especially machetes) are common particularly in the country side. So travel with a pocket knife should not be a worry. Research the laws before you go however just as a heads up.

Personally I would go with a Persistance. Easy to replace if need be. Also a SAK and multi-tool.

I pack my knives in the shaving kit. Or if small in rolled up socks. If you have a frame attaching them to it is a good idea.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Maybe Ed has something in his mind already....An ethnic basque fixed blade should be an interesting project !
hawkeye180

Post by hawkeye180 »

My Spyderco friends, last night I was at a local gun store that has a nice little selection of Spyderco blades and I bought a Pacific Salt with yellow FRN and a fully serrated blade. I am going to make one small mod to it and then post some pictures of it. What do I need to do to post pictures here?
hawkeye180

Post by hawkeye180 »

ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Interesting choice, but I kinda like it. Good for you! I think you will have a great friend in that knife. Is that RIT dye or something else.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hawkeye180

Post by hawkeye180 »

ChapmanPreferred wrote:Interesting choice, but I kinda like it. Good for you! I think you will have a great friend in that knife. Is that RIT dye or something else.
It was RIT Dye.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Doesn't Uganda have some red in the flag? Lol, I'm not sure about the dye job, but that's an awesome knife you got there! I use mine every single day and it's just a beast of a work knife! Enjoy!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Interzone wrote:Why not the Chokwe? Why not test it out in it's continent of origin! Spyderco Chokwe:

Knives as essential tools exist in every culture on earth. Their shape and style are dictated by their people's needs, be those agricultural, spiritual or self preserving. Certainly ethnic styles of cutlery have been lost to history but many designs are still used today and revered in their countries. Taking those individual designs and adding a Spyderco touch is the core of Spyderco's Ethnic Series folders and most recently the C132 Spyderco Chokwe.

Chokwe people live in the Zambia/Democratic Republic of Congo region of Central Africa. Primarily agricultural, they are gatherers, fishermen and hunters. Highly positioned in Chokwe society are their blacksmiths who craft fixed-blade knives for daily use in feeding, harvesting and protecting their communities. Our Chokwe folder is patterned off a historic fixed-blade, keeping true to the triangular shaped blade and coffin-shaped handle. The blade is CPM S30V blade steel and flat-ground for cutting performance. The handle is black G-10 with bored out handle holes reducing overall weight and making through holes for attachment to a longer handle or pole. Full length internal liner reinforces the locking device, a Chris Reeve style integral lock. Metal hourglass clip carries the knife tucked in a pocket tip-down right hand carry.

Nothing on the modern market is like it. It may look modern and streamlined but the original design is hundreds if not thousands of years old. Necessity generates function and in the knife world that can happen in central Africa a few hundred years ago. It can also happen in Golden, Colorado in 2009.

Spyderco will donate approximately 5% of sales of the Chokwe to the Keep a Child Alive Organization. Keep a Child Alive is dedicated to providing life-saving anti-retroviral treatment, care and support services to children and their families with HIV/AIDS in Africa and the developing world by directly engaging the global public in the fight against AIDS. For more information, please visit http://www.keepachildalive.org - such a really perfect edc at that, I used to think it was a little odd, but the more I look at it, what a hansom knife!
And its now on STP...
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Am I to assume you went stealth on the top half to prevent attention and kept yellow on the second half for help finding it if you drop it? If so that is pretty ideal. Looks like a yellow jacket now!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I love modded knives.