Your thoughts on black blades, please?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Loansharkx

Post by Loansharkx »

I don't specifically look for them but I do like some blades better in the black coating.

I really like the Native lightweight in the black blade. I bought it on a whim at bass Pro a couple weeks ago.

It's a very nice addition to the family.

I'm thinking police g10 or endura4 next, unless I get my hands on a yojimbo 2 at the gun show this weekend.
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

I don't really like black coating when it's new, but it looks so cool after it's been well used.
"If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person - they will find an easier way to do it." -Hlade's Law
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Not a fan. My ESEEs have coatings, but I prefer my Spydies to have bare steel.
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Not a fan, never saw the need, but to each his own.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I'm not a fan, but on a 1/4" thick, 16oz folder, they have their place. LOL Sorry if that sounds snobby, but every time I see a black coated blade, the phrase "covert de-animation activities" runs through my head ... seriously.

Gordon
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

gaj999 wrote:I'm not a fan, but on a 1/4" thick, 16oz folder, they have their place. LOL Sorry if that sounds snobby, but every time I see a black coated blade, the phrase "covert de-animation activities" runs through my head ... seriously.

Gordon
This is kind of why I always avoided them but the pm2 I had with DLC was really nice. It didn't even remotely have a "mall ninja" feel. Not to me anyway and I'm easily turned off by that nonsense.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I wish now I had gotten the black Manix XL.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

MacLaren wrote:I wish now I had gotten the black Manix XL.
:rolleyes: Lol, don't do that! Your manix is awesome just the way it is! Enjoy it! There will be plenty more to come in all kinds of colors and variations. ;)
sok

Post by sok »

I don't dislike DLC or like DLC in particular. I have a few years of usage on folders with coated blades and I kind of like the way they wear. On a user, I don't care one way or the other, but a weekend dress knife, I might lean towards the uncoated blade.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

MacLaren wrote:I wish now I had gotten the black Manix XL.
No worries, there's always that next one to get! They like to travel in packs anyways, mine are always complaining of being lonely!

Surprised no pics yet in this thread, so here's one:

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Thanks for the pic. I see the xl has more belly. Never noticed that.
villageidiot

Post by villageidiot »

I love DLC black coating on blades. It adds in my eyes an extra level of protection.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I like black coated blades simply because they are non reflective. I hate shiny blades. I know most of Spyderco's blades are far from shiny. I have also found, believe it or not, that the black blade is less flashy so it doesn't seem to intimidate / scare people as much (which I like).
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ah....thanx guys. A Spyderco interwebtion :) Ya know, I cant think of a reason really not to have one of each......for a little bit, I'd just go ahead and order a black one. Just keep both and not worry about it :)
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Here's one I've never shared a pic of: a Military DLC combo edge swapped into grey Cruwear scales (black clip screws and all!). The Cruwear blade now lives in a set of Cuscadi Micarta scales that originally housed a regular S30V blade. Ended up being a three way blade/liner swap (the original DLC Millie is a regular Millie now), with all three working even smoother than the original versions! The combo edge DLC Military was disco'd last year (along with the Manix 2 version above).

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

WOW. That's killer.....
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I have no practical use for black coated knives, but some of them looks cool. I have black bladed Lum Tanto with CE.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

I feel as though black blades do not attract as much attention in public... maybe because they are not as flashy. Also I do not have to worry about fingerprints with it!

For food, I tend to stick with non-DLC coated, though.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Black blades remind me of chalk boards. Two things I would rather go without. :p
josemfuente

Post by josemfuente »

Loansharkx wrote:
I really like the Native lightweight in the black blade.
For me, Native is the holly grail of folders with both the serrations and DLC-coating.

Sal, are there any plans for a black serrated native 5?