What material for scales for my Stretch w/super blue blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

bakergh wrote:I didn't explain very well, but I would still use the metal liners. I would just use a thin outline in G10 that forms the margin for the metal liner to rest in. I find using a scroll saw easier that milling with a dremel.

But that aside, the back spacer is a more puzzling question as you describe. I had a radical though on this: why not dispense with it all together? By drilling one additional hole in the liners for a second pin wouldn't it be possible to dispense with the backspacer altogether and use standoffs instead? In the following picture "Pin 2" would be the additional pin hole that needs to be drilled in the endura spacers:

I have no idea if it would actually look good but it would be unique...

I guess the one advantage of doing this on an endura is that if I mess it up for $11 I can buy a rebuild kit.
Are the holes for pin 1 and pin 2 to be used for holding the lock spring in place? That's how it looks since there would not be a back spacer. You would be able to see in the knife and see the lock spring and whatever is in there. I can't think of why it wouldn't work. But even if you drilled the additional holes the liners would still be fine. Any additional holes would not be seen after putting the thing back together normally. I don't see why you would need the parts kit. I may be missing something.

Now I'm picturing a G-10 "spacer" going all the way around the handle to replace the FRN created by nesting the liners. That sounds interesting. You could make it a different color than the scales. Would the G-10 be glued to the scale material? If so, could you leave the G-10 thicker along the area where the backspacer would be? Still use standoffs. But the thicker G-10 would hide the lockspring and standoffs when looking at the top of the knife. OTOH, who doesn't like to see the insides of a mechanical device? How about some scale material that is completely clear? C-TEK would be great if you could find a clear "liner" like is used on fixed blade handles. Without the liner material C-TEK would fall apart but if that would work MAN! Have you seen c-tek? COmes in about any color at about any translucency. Amazing stuff.

Is what I'm thinking correct or make sense? I think I understand your thoughts better now.

Jack
bakergh

Post by bakergh »

Are the holes for pin 1 and pin 2 to be used for holding the lock spring in place?
Yes. Placing the new pin would be crucial to assuring a strong positive lock. Getting this right would be essential.

I don't see why you would need the parts kit. I may be missing something.
I wouldn't need the parts kit unless I botched the liners when drilling the additional holes. AFAIK the endura is the only model spyderco makes for which you can buy a rebuild kit, so I feel like I can be more reckless in my experimenting.

Would the G-10 be glued to the scale material?
Yep. I would cut the liner shape out of the g10 then use epoxy to stick the g10 to the handle material and then do the finishing work so the fit is exact.

If so, could you leave the G-10 thicker along the area where the backspacer would be?
This is possible, but I plan on buying g10 in the .030" thickness sheets, which is the exact thickness of the existing steel liners according to my measurements, so it works out well to leave the standoffs exposed

the thicker G-10 would hide the lockspring and standoffs when looking at the top of the knife. OTOH, who doesn't like to see the insides of a mechanical device?
I love seeing the internals of any well engineered device. I think it's the simple yet sophisticated engineering that draws me to knives in the first place.

How about some scale material that is completely clear? C-TEK would be great if you could find a clear "liner" like is used on fixed blade handles. Without the liner material C-TEK would fall apart but if that would work MAN! Have you seen c-tek? COmes in about any color at about any translucency. Amazing stuff.
I've never seen c-tek in person, just pictures, but it looks awesome. Sounds like clear would be a sweet setup. The only semi-translucent g-10 I'm aware of is the Jade Ghost stuff, but it would still be too opaque to see through.
For this project I have a very nice block of purplish hued cocobolo wood I think would look incredible with red g-10 liners and matching red anodized titanium standoffs. I think that is the setup I'm going to attempt. My biggest obstacle would be finding the standoffs. I could fabricate some and send them off for anodizing if needed, but I'll deal with that when I get there.

Is what I'm thinking correct or make sense?
Makes sense to me.

I think I understand your thoughts better now.
Good, I'm not always the best at communicating them.

Good luck, keep us posted.
-Greg
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Just ordered some lava-flow kirinite to use for a set of practice scales. I love kirinite but the lava-flow would not have been my first choice. I would rather have used some of their Mother Of Pearl colors. But, if I do make a new backspacer, and I probably will just for practice if nothing else, the lava-flow will match the lava-flow I bought for my wife's Jester. She sold her's to her doc and wants another one with the same scales. The lava-flow I ordered for my Stretch is 1/4" thick to give me some room for shaping. The lava-flow for the Jester is 1/8" thick. There will be lots left over of that thickness and 1/8" thick should be perfect thickness for the back spacer. The exact thickness of the lockbar is between 2.92mm (7/64") and 2.98mm (different calipers). So, in a week or two I should have a bright red/black, HIGHLY POLISHED, handle stretch. I've used this color/patern kirinite before and while it isn't what I would have chosen for this knife, it does look good. Plus, this will mainly be practice for the wood I want in the long run. I'm half way excited. :)

Here is the Jester wife used to have with kirinite lava-flow scales.

Jack

PS
You know what? I just had a thought. Even when using the same pattern/color material for the backspacer the pattern will not line up. It will be obvious there are 3 pieces there. So, if I would use a completely different pattern that would have been good if the two color materials look good together. I'm going to call the seller and tell them to hold the order for a minute while I decide.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Changed my order. Dropped the 1/4" lava-flow and added 3/8" thick blue mother of pearl kirinite. In addition to changing the color I increased the thickness because this is my practice set. I may need additional thickness for the nested scale and shaping. This will give me a little margin for error. The actual thickness of the FRN scales is 3/16" I believe. Anyway, now I'll have a bright blue handle with red/black back spacer.

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

For a first try at making scales with nested liners (like the Stretch or Delica, etc.) I got some blue "mother of pearl" kirinite. I disassembled the Stretch and discovered I couldn't use my drill bits in fraction sizes. The holes and/or screw head countersinks in the scales are sized in either mm or wire gauge drill bit sizes. One of my fraction sized bits that fits in a hole is too small and the next larger size bit is too big. I've solved this issue for holes smaller than 1/8" by using bits measured by milli-meter sizes. What I've found on ebay are sets of wire sizes from 1-60 which is a 60 bit set between the fraction sizes 1/32" and 1/4". There are only 13 or 14 different sizes in fraction size sets (that I know of). Having 60 bits to choose from between 1/32" and 1/4" instead of only 13 different sizes gives you about any size you need at a very close (or perfect) accuracy size you need. Anyway, I can't do a set of Stretch scales until I get another set of drill bits. This gives me the perfect excuse to buy another set of bits. :D So, since all my extra money right now has been used for SB knives (Manbug, D'fly, Stretch) I used the kirinite to make a set of scales for my SB Dragonfly 2. Here is a picture of my Dragonfly 2 with a kirinite handle and super blue blade. I'll have to wait a little while on the Stretch scale project. :( I'm really wanting some nice wood on the Stretch and have gotten some great suggestions. I do want a "practice" set made first though.

Holland

Post by Holland »

bornagainprimative wrote:Old jean micarda
+1
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Old jean micarta
Holland wrote:+1
I saw a video of someone making some jean micarta on youtube. It was real interesting and I'd like to try that. Maybe material of different colors came to mind also.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Holy crap Jack, that is perhaps the most beautiful Dragonfly I've ever seen!! I applaud your talent with that material. That's the most super Super Blue I've seen yet! Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King