we can get a sprint E4, per Sal...steel snobs weigh in

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

3rdGenRigger wrote:I still maintain we need something in Shirogami White-1 (White FRN would be awesome). Then we'd have the Japanese white and blue steels covered...and Shirogami White-1 is the hardest steel made by Hitachi, though it's not as tough as SuperBlue. I think it would make the ideal companion to the SuperBlue offerings.
duly noted, but if the majority chose out of the 3 listed (skd-12 (a2) and xvc-11 (m4) and HAP), what would your choice be? Not as tough as SB does not sound as interesting to me, but I respect your opinion equally.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I'm a little late to the party here, but I'll chime in. :) Personally, I would be very intrigued to see an offering in the SKD-12--simply because I've always wanted to experiment with something in A2 (or similar).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

twinboysdad wrote:duly noted, but if the majority chose out of the 3 listed (skd-12 (a2) and xvc-11 (m4) and HAP), what would your choice be? Not as tough as SB does not sound as interesting to me, but I respect your opinion equally.
Out of those 3 I'd go for XVC-11. The reason I want Shirogami White-1 is because, despite being a little less tough than SuperBlue, it's harder and should have great edge retention cutting softer media, and I'd love to see how it would develop a patina when used to cut food (Especially to compare to SuperBlue). It should also be very easy to sharpen being a carbon steel. I'm liking SuperBlue a LOT now that I've been using it over the last couple weeks, and it really has me wondering about Shirogami White-1. Any steel upgrade would appeal to me though...I don't mind VG-10, but it's not my favourite, and I'll take alternatives if they're available (Like ZDP-189 and SuperBlue).
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Ok, I am going to have to kind of agree with Branden. I think that the White steel in white frn could be a super cool offering. Partly for the reasons he just mentioned, and partly because...well, because it's "white" steel in white frn. Haha. Call me a dork but I would buy one just for that. :D I mean, who doesn't want to compare blue vs white?! I am really loving superblue, so if there is a chance that Shirogami White would perform similarly with even better edge retention I would be interested.

Outside of that I would vote xvc-11.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Surfingringo wrote:Ok, I am going to have to kind of agree with Branden. I think that the White steel in white frn could be a super cool offering. Partly for the reasons he just mentioned, and partly because...well, because it's "white" steel in white frn. Haha. Call me a dork but I would buy one just for that. :D I mean, who doesn't want to compare blue vs white?! I am really loving superblue, so if there is a chance that Shirogami White would perform similarly with even better edge retention I would be interested.

Outside of that I would vote xvc-11.
Exactly...it just seems to be the ideal companion to SuperBlue...and not all tasks need a super tough steel. I could hack through a 2x4 with my Schempp Tuff without worrying too much about it (There's a video on YouTube of someone doing just that), but I'd never try doing that with my SuperBlue Stretch. I wouldn't try it with an E4 or D4 even if they were available in M4, or even CPM 3V for that matter...just not the right platform to benefit from such a steel.

---> Branden
Steel_Drake

Post by Steel_Drake »

As someone who loves cutlery steels in folders, my vote definitely goes to Shirogami White #1.

To expand, Spyderco and many other makers already make folding knives with blades in tough steels, while the number of modern folding knives made in properly heat treated, small carbide, high edge-stability steels is miniscule. Shouldn't we be looking for steels that fill an under-represented niche?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Good points from the surfer and the rigger...I guess I am so in love with SB that I see it as far as the pendulum can swing in the kitchen steel/scary sharp/patina/easy sharpener. I very likely am wrong. I see the current offerings are SB (easy sharpening, great edge, probably the sharpest of the bunch), VG10 (great daily user, good retention, stainless) and ZDP (excellent retention, tougher to sharpen, prone to chips). It just seems like the natural progression is a workhorse steel next
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I agree there's a place for some tough steels, but I think some of the tougher platforms are more ideal to that than the FRN D4/E4/D2/Stretch. I'd sooner buy a tough steel in something like the Military/ParaMilitary/Manix2/Native5/etc.

---> Branden
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

If we first choose whichever one will sell the best then odds are we will be able to talk Sal into giving us the other one too! :D
quattro98

Post by quattro98 »

I'd like to see XVC 11 with a blue handle. I'm mostly interested in the Dragonfly, but would get a Ladybug as well. These smaller sizes fit my urban EDC needs best and make for knives I carry instead of staying at home.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Hi Joe,

I was hoping that we'd narrow the selection down a bit before I start to see what is available and what the kmaker will work with. The Japanese foundries have always demonstrated passion for quality so I believe they will all be good steels. As to personal preferences, I'm kinda like you in that I appreciate all of the blade steels for their qualities. "All good, just different".

Looking forward to the project.

sal
Thanks Sal. I'm going to enjoy and use any steel it would be made in. I'm an Endura guy so if the run is made I'll end up getting one. There are a lot of interesting ideas here but some might really put the vendors pretty far out of their generations old comfort zone. I just figured you know a whole lot more than any of us about the guys who do the work "where the rubber hits the road" as the saying goes.

We sometimes ask a lot. I know I have anyways. :)

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
dewildeman

Post by dewildeman »

Sg2
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

I don't know much about Japanese steels but I'm definitely in as far as purchasing goes regardless of steel. I'd like to see an M4 equivalent but I trust Joe's (Mastiff) judgment in these matters. As far as handle color, I'd like the same color as the Emerson Opener models. Thanks as always for listening, Sal!
FDE

Post by FDE »

Hitachi XVC 11 in orange FRN please!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I like tan scales with m4 (xvc-11). Looks great when the steel starts to darken.
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Does anyone know what the target hardness of XVC 11 is? I actually can't find any information on it.
(If XVC 11 has little variance in properties compared to M-4 then I guess I would bump it up to #3, simply because the Endura platform hasn't been featured in anything similar to M-4 yet.)

I actually like the looks of HAP 40, decent alloy content and high hardness. That would get my #1 vote for now. (This stuff looks a lot like Cru-Wear, but with extra C,V,T, and a lot of cobalt.)

Hitachi White at a high hardness would be interesting as well, as an extremely hard but basic steel is definitely out of the ordinary nowdays. That's #2 vote.

Cowry X would be neat if only to see if it's actually an improvement on ZDP-189. It gets #3 vote.

The specs I've found on SKH 51/52 list just 60RC as the aim hardness, I feel like unless there's some other redeeming quality that puts them in a slightly lower class than the others.

SG2 has been done many times before, indicating that it should have potential, but results in the past don't seem to stack up (which may or may not be the fault of the steel).

VG-1/SKD11 "meh".
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Surfingringo wrote:I like tan scales with m4. Looks great when the steel starts to darken.
Sounds like a good combination to me.
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

3rdGenRigger wrote:I agree there's a place for some tough steels, but I think some of the tougher platforms are more ideal to that than the FRN D4/E4/D2/Stretch. I'd sooner buy a tough steel in something like the Military/ParaMilitary/Manix2/Native5/etc.
I'm the opposite. I prefer the lightweights, they're what got me into Spyderco. The Endura is one of my favorites and I'd like to see another tough steel option for it that's different from ZDP. XVC-11 sounds like it has some great qualities as far as edge holding and ease of sharpening go. I try to use the proper tool for the job and my pocket knife is not going to be used for anything but cutting. The more heavy nylon strap and sisal twine I can go through between sharpening the better.

I appreciate the fact that Sal and Spyderco are willing to put these steels into lower cost less dressed up versions.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

the White steel is looking good I would love something with that steel
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

opusxpn wrote:the White steel is looking good I would love something with that steel
+1
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy