If the Yojimbo 2 was not marketed for Self Defense

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MatthewSB

Post by MatthewSB »

Donut wrote:There has been some discussion of the Yojimbo 2 being used a lot for general use.

What if the Yojimbo 2 was re-released as a general use knife that just so happened to be good for self defense.

Would this thing be considered a heavy duty utility knife? Tactical utility knife?

What steel and scales would be best for this general use knife?

I guess there are two different knives here, what knife would BE best performance-wise and what knife would SELL best.
I can't imagine using my Yojimbo for chores. I tried, and broke the tip off after one short fall onto the floor. The flat angled portion on the back of the blade, leading to the edge, makes it look terrible after dropping the point to match the break. Knives with blades like the Delica or Endura, with a slight drop point already, are way easier to repair a broken tip.

If they did away with the hollow grind, and used a saber grind (more material all the way out to the tip) it might make a better tool. What would be a really cool user is a wharncliffe with a curved spine and a convex edge. It would be extremely strong and easy to maintain, and repair if needed. It would also be a **** of a slasher ;)

I'm not sure I'd bother tweaking a design that was 100% built from the ground up as a self defense blade. It would be like trying to redesign the Case Peanut to be a better fighting knife. :eek:

There are plenty of knives that can do anything, like the Military, Para2, Starmate, and many more.
Donut

Post by Donut »

MatthewSB, so we'll put you down on the side that thinks it should be advertised as a wimpy utility knife. :)

So, a little drop point, saber grind.

When I used mine to cut some cardboard, the thickness of the blade made it more difficult than it needed to be.

I wonder if S35VN to add a little toughness would help it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I really like the Yo2, but IMHO if a new version comes out, personally I would like a few minor changes: more room for the leading side of the index finger, more room for the first two fingers (leading bump on grip is too close to front), maybe an extra quarter inch of handle length. Also a bigger thumb hole and generally more ease of getting the blade open (than my copy at least).

I'm conflicted about any possible changes in the blade. It would maybe be more useful as a utility knife if the edge of the blade curved up a little toward the tip, and that wouldn't bother me, but it would change the character of the knife. What we really need is both! One more like the Kahr Arms Delica or Perrin PPT and one like the current Yo2!! :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

By the way, if anybody's looking for one right now, Optics Planet has them for $133.79 minus 10% if you have an account at their Dvor.com branch and use the code 104DVOR at checkout. (you buy the knife at Optics Planet, not Dvor)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.