we can get a sprint E4, per Sal...steel snobs weigh in

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

we can get a sprint E4, per Sal...steel snobs weigh in

Post by twinboysdad »

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... ints/page3

All,

In the linked thread above, Sal said that based on the success of the SB FRN run, another could be considered in a different steel. My homeboy, Surfingringo, asked that I start a new thread for discussion on Nippon steel to be considered. Now is the time for those who have knowledge of Japanese high performance steel to share their knowledge. Sal said the E4 is the perfect platform for boutique steel and I completely agree. I would like to see the D4 added just for those in the blade length restricted areas. My love for the SB E4 and just the E4 in general is the reason I have pushed this. It is the perfect knife to me. Big, light, strong, great geometry, and affordable. So all that outta the way. Let's talk high performance Nippon steel...

so far we have suggested:
Cowry X
SG 2
VG 1
HAP 40
SKD 11
SKH 51 and 52
Hitachi XVC 11
Shirogami 1

What I would like to see next is something that toughness is paramount, like Cruwear, but the Nippon equivalent. What say you? I know there are really well versed forum members here who can weigh in. I would think something different than SB and ZDP189, but equally intriguing can be agreed upon.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Please no VG-1 that is about the only steel I know enough about to say. Oh, and I would buy a Cowry X sprint.
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Can someone give a run down on each of those steels?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

We have one Cowry X vote, keep them coming. How about a handle color while we are at it?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/Infor ... teels.html

pretty good link for us nerds on Japanese steels regarding composition
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

after reading the link, that SG2 sounds like the Cat's Meow...SG2 is my vote if powdered steel is the base
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I've read a few things about super gold 2 chipping easily, but honestly, I know very little about any of these Japanese steels. I know that if I could choose any steel for the endura platform it would probably be m4, so I would vote for whatever is the closest approximation of that. Someone mentioned in the other thread that HAP 40 was a similar composition. Anyone know anything about that one?
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

The Endura its my favorite knife so it would be great to start with that one, VG1 sounds good.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

In the "never hurts to ask" category, would such a sprint run preclude using the E4 G10 scales and SS liners instead of a FRN version in a different color? I am still researching the steel options above, but a G10 Endura sprint sporting one of these steels would be awesome IMHO. Thanks, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Invective

Post by Invective »

I'm throwing my hat in with either SKD11/SKD12 (D2 and A2 equivalent) or XVC-11 (M4 equivalent). Basically I want something I can beat on :D We've got enough slicers in the Endura4 platform, ZDP and Super Blue are both steels that you can take to extreme levels of sharpness at super low angles, so how about something a bit tougher and more forgiving to the edge in outdoors work. I've been using my CruWear Military for outdoor work de-limbing branches and pruning work and it's amazing the beating it can take so I'm on a tool steel kick right now!
Surfingringo wrote:I've read a few things about super gold 2 chipping easily, but honestly, I know very little about any of these Japanese steels. I know that if I could choose any steel for the endura platform it would probably be m4, so I would vote for whatever is the closest approximation of that. Someone mentioned in the other thread that HAP 40 was a similar composition. Anyone know anything about that one?
As I mentioned above, XVC-11 is more of an M4 equivalent,HAP40 is similar but with 8.5% Cobalt. From my limited understanding of steel composition, this means it should be able to attain higher hardness at the cost of hardness? I'm not sure though so if someone else can explain what the addition of Cobalt would do that would be awesome!

But HAP40 does look pretty amazing too, I would not mind that either!
Pocket Lint

Post by Pocket Lint »

Japanese WHITE STEEL #1!!!!!!!!!!!!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Pocket Lint wrote:Japanese WHITE STEEL #1!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey PL, does White steel offer any real advantages or differences over superblue?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Invective wrote:I'm throwing my hat in with either SKD11/SKD12 (D2 and A2 equivalent) or XVC-11 (M4 equivalent). Basically I want something I can beat on :D We've got enough slicers in the Endura4 platform, ZDP and Super Blue are both steels that you can take to extreme levels of sharpness at super low angles, so how about something a bit tougher and more forgiving to the edge in outdoors work. I've been using my CruWear Military for outdoor work de-limbing branches and pruning work and it's amazing the beating it can take so I'm on a tool steel kick right now!

As I mentioned above, XVC-11 is more of an M4 equivalent,HAP40 is similar but with 8.5% Cobalt. From my limited understanding of steel composition, this means it should be able to attain higher hardness at the cost of hardness? I'm not sure though so if someone else can explain what the addition of Cobalt would do that would be awesome!

But HAP40 does look pretty amazing too, I would not mind that either!
I still don't know much about these steels; I just know I like m4. I would vote for whichever is closest in composition and performance. If that's xvc-11 then give me some xvc-11! :D
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

This thread should be a poll. Is too late to add a poll? I vote xvc-11.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

My vote is for something with good toughness and good edge retention, like the Japanese equivalent of CPM-3V or CPM-M4 or inbetween. Wait, that sounds almost like Cruwear... :)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I agree about a poll. Maybe we can gather a bit more info in this thread and discuss the different steels and then do the poll though.
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

I'm the one that originally brought up the HAP 40 choice. However, I'm down with Invective's selection of XVC-11 too. I think an M4 analog for the JP models will be killer!
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Shirogami White-1 please.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Chris_H wrote:I'm the one that originally brought up the HAP 40 choice. However, I'm down with Invective's selection of XVC-11 too. I think an M4 analog for the JP models will be killer!
So just to confirm that I have this straight guys, is xvc 11 the closest steel to m4 in this group? Is it essentially the same steel?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Invective wrote:...Basically I want something I can beat on :D We've got enough slicers in the Endura4 platform, ZDP and Super Blue are both steels that you can take to extreme levels of sharpness at super low angles, so how about something a bit tougher and more forgiving to the edge in outdoors work.
In the spirit of your request, would returning to the saber grind be beneficial as well? I personally wouldn't mind playing with any of the above mentioned steels, but I would really like either SKD12 or HAP40
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*