Sal, a question re: the Superblue FRN sprints

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Chris_H wrote:Hmm... Japanese steel suggestions... What about HAP40 for the steel? It's composition looks like M4 but with Cobalt added. Come to think of it, why not HAP40 for a Mule Team too?
These sound intriguing to me :)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

If the Calypso Jr FRN molds are still around I think that would be a great experimental steel sprint run platform. FRN handles would keep the cost down, and the Calypso JR would be a nice size compromise between the Dragonfly and the Endura, while being different enough from the Delica to give it a little more cool factor.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

ugaarguy wrote:If the Calypso Jr FRN molds are still around I think that would be a great experimental steel sprint run platform. FRN handles would keep the cost down, and the Calypso JR would be a nice size compromise between the Dragonfly and the Endura, while being different enough from the Delica to give it a little more cool factor.
I'd buy that.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Not very familiar with Super Blue but very familiar with Enduras, and I think I just scored one SB E4, well I also got the LB/SB and will get the stretch and the DGF2 in super blue as soon as I can get my hands on them. I like FRN sprints and I love my Enduras, the Para2 are very nice, the manix, the stretch, manbug, ladybug, but Endura was my first love and always will be, even if an aluminum foil paper Endura comes out I will get it; I like them that much.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

ok let's double down on this bad boy and fan the coals so Sal knows we mean business!!

so far we have:
Cowry X
SG 2
VG 1
HAP 40
SKD 11
SKH 51 and 52
Hitachi XVC 11
Shirogami 1

Anything else to add from the steel snobs and knife knuts? Sal, please keep this idea at the front of your hopper as the molds are done and the SB run was an overwhelming success. I want a new E4 in something crazy exotic!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Let's try Shirogami nr.1 (white steel).It is a versatile steel.I'd like to see the Caly jr. and Dragonfly 2 in Shirogami nr.1 steel.FRN handle of course.AND NO LAMINATED PLEASE ! Or at least use a harder steel for the outer layer.I hate those scratches !
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

Just saw this thread....I purchased E4, D4, and Stretch in Super Blue and think they're great. I'm definitely in for any upcoming FRN sprints of these models w/ different steels! Thanks for listening, Sal.
MCM

Post by MCM »

I would like a CF Stretch in S110v. That would be nice! ;)
(A bit off topic though)
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
sal

Post by sal »

I believe the Endura line would be the best for a Sprint run with a boutique steel. Thanx for the list Twinboysdad, I'd like to narrow the request down. Need more discussion.

sal
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

sal wrote:I believe the Endura line would be the best for a Sprint run with a boutique steel. Thanx for the list Twinboysdad, I'd like to narrow the request down. Need more discussion.

sal
If there is another Endura Sprint, can it be made with the old pointy tip? I liked the shape of the past generation Delica/Endura tips better.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

sal wrote:I believe the Endura line would be the best for a Sprint run with a boutique steel. Thanx for the list Twinboysdad, I'd like to narrow the request down. Need more discussion.

sal
Nice! TBD, why don't you start a new thread on this and let's talk steel characteristics?
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Another FRN sprint run would be great, I loved the SB sprint FRN I got most of them just missing the manbug. I do think it was a success they sold out pretty much everywhere, you might still find a ladybug or a stretch here and there for now but they will be gone soon. The Enduras and Delicas are long gone and I think the dragonfly its going the same route. I don't know much about Japanese steel but anything exotic out of the ordinary will interest me. Count me in for another full FRN sprint run.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Surfingringo wrote:Nice! TBD, why don't you start a new thread on this and let's talk steel characteristics?
This sounds good -- need to alert all steel hounds.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Tall Dark and Swarfy

Post by Tall Dark and Swarfy »

I believe Shirogami 1 is too similar to Aogami Super. A bit easier to sharpen, a bit less edge retention, and a bit more reactive. Even Aogami Super was a ballsy step IMO given the care it requires.

If you're going to keep the Hitachi steel theme I think HAP40 is a must. Can be hardened to Rc 67, finely grained, great edge retention, and not very reactive. In a kitchen environment it seems to patina to a dull gray.

Cheers,

Rick
Leeroy37

Re: Sal, a question re: the Superblue FRN sprints

Post by Leeroy37 »

Very excited reading this I missed the SB endura but have a delica and stretch and would love more frn endura sprints :cool:
Thanks Sal

Lee
Donut

Post by Donut »

Does the factory that makes H1, make any other steels?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

I really love Super Blue, but if I had a choice over the next sprint I would prefer something more corrosion resistant even if it was only semi-stainless.

Keeping carbon steel clean isn't impossible, but in a folding knife with recessed, milled liners, that is a lot of surface area for moisture to hide.

SG-2 sounds nice, but HAP40 is promising as well.
Last edited by Able Dog on Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Let's get this discussion focused on steel choice. I like the HAP40 idea thrown out already. If possible endura and delica models would be awesome.
sal

Post by sal »

I've been testing an Endura with a HAP40 blade (laminated) for a few days. We'll CATRA test tomorrow. Pretty awesome stuff.

sal
ohcyclist

Post by ohcyclist »

Fantastic news. Looking forward to hearing more about it. Do you have an frn color in mind?