Embassy Problem

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
EyeDog

Embassy Problem

Post by EyeDog »

I bought a used Embassy auto (all black S) -- fires strong. However, from the open position when closing there is slight grinding. Could that be a washer problem? Or spring? I have not taken it apart yet but intend to soon.

Anyone else experience this?
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

It is probably just some dust/dirt/debris that got into the action. Before disassembling, you can try to flush it out using hot water. The aluminum will conduct the heat to help the remaining water evaporate. Follow that with some lube to see if the grittiness is gone.

Are there washers in the Spyderco Autos? I have a Citadel and only seem to see a raised portion of the aluminum scale (i.e., a machined-in washer on the handle slabs).

Good luck with the maintenance. I always find the hardest part is getting the spring tension reset and installed back into the one handle and blade while also installing the second handle side.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
EyeDog

Post by EyeDog »

Hey Chris H...that did it. A loosened the pivot screw and ran it under hot water and then blow dry. Minor adjustments to pivot screw and it's back in business with no grinding.

Thanks so much. ...Mike
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

EyeDog wrote:Hey Chris H...that did it. A loosened the pivot screw and ran it under hot water and then blow dry. Minor adjustments to pivot screw and it's back in business with no grinding.

Thanks so much. ...Mike
Great! Glad to read it only needed minor work. :)
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
v8r

Post by v8r »

Mine grinds a little as we'll. I thought it was just the spring winding up. I guess I will try this trick and see what happens.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p