Crazy deals @ Sierra and other places

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Sithus1966 wrote:I got the Puukko fixed for $154 and .99 shipping.
Same here. Should be in my hands today.

Thanks for the code setldown.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

DougC-3 wrote:(Not Sierra) Dvor is featuring their Spydercos again for the next day or so and some look like reasonable prices, though I didn't see any real standout deals. Just watch out for the "as low as" with some of the prices and beware of the picture of a carbon fiber Cat for $46 :eek: when they're really selling the G-10 model :D
I didn't see any really good deals there, either. That manbug with bolsters looks so great, but it aint cheap...
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Junior is $96 with today's coupon. Is it on kill list?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

bh49 wrote:Junior is $96 with today's coupon. Is it on kill list?
It is odd to the these fall on the 40% list. I check frequently and this is the first I can recall. Now I can't decide...... Des Horn or Junior.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
bh49

Post by bh49 »

$84 for Des sounds attractive. But (Alex, sorry) I like Des Horn more than Junior.
$11 shipping is not attractive, still so far the best price around.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

xceptnl wrote:It is odd to the these fall on the 40% list. I check frequently and this is the first I can recall. Now I can't decide...... Des Horn or Junior.
Landon,

For me it is easily the Des Horn! The Junior I bought for the novelty, but the Des Horn I really like. It disappears in the pocket and cuts like an exacto knife. Plus I think it is one good looking folder- kinda Art Deco looking.

Either way, you can't go wrong, put pounce on the Des Horn while you can.

James
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

bh49 wrote:$84 for Des sounds attractive. But (Alex, sorry) I like Des Horn more than Junior.
I still have a store credit and I think you get free shipping over $100.
vaisforlovers wrote:Landon,

For me it is easily the Des Horn! The Junior I bought for the novelty, but the Des Horn I really like. It disappears in the pocket and cuts like an exacto knife. Plus I think it is one good looking folder- kinda Art Deco looking.

Either way, you can't go wrong, put pounce on the Des Horn while you can.

James
I agree it is far more attractive and the both have a desired wire clip so the decision is a hard one. I love the wharncliffe blade and it is fast becoming one of my favorite backup blade shapes (secondary not SD backup). Anyone have a side by side comparison pic by chance?
*Landon*
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

bh49 wrote:$84 for Des sounds attractive. But (Alex, sorry) I like Des Horn more than Junior.
(If you have a smartphone) you used to be able to download their iphone or android app and initiate the order through it and get free shipping. At checkout, you would have to use the 6-digit code in the fine print at the bottom of their email to qualify for the 40% off. Don't know if this phone order offer is still working.

Edit: it's an 8 digit code for the 40% off, not 6 digit (keycode AWB3153Z)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

DougC-3 wrote:(If you have a smartphone)
Thank you for info, but I do not have a smartphone :( somebody told me that my phone is "stupid" :eek:

DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

bh49 wrote:Thank you for info, but I do not have a smartphone :( somebody told me that my phone is "stupid" :eek:
I'll bet your telephone could beat up their smartphone :D

I'm pretty sure the phone order deal has expired anyway. I see that you can get a $15 gift card for future purchase if you order $100 worth. You could order some cargo pants to beef up your order to $100 and have room to carry more knives :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

xceptnl wrote:Anyone have a side by side comparison pic by chance?
If no one can provide a comparison, I'll get you one on Tuesday.
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I've been waiting for the 40% off to apply to the Des Horn. Ordered that, along with another Junior (I've got a pimp job in mind for it). Had to pay $16 tax in CA, but used the app to get free shipping.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

vaisforlovers wrote:If no one can provide a comparison, I'll get you one on Tuesday.
I appreciate it. This pair I have been wrestling with for a while.
*Landon*
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

xceptnl wrote: Anyone have a side by side comparison pic by chance?
Landon,

These are hastily taken photos. I haven't been home in 2 weeks-just got back today, but figured bad pics were better than no pics.

As promised:

In this one the Des Horn blade looks longer. (In reality DH = 3.11" Jr = 3.22") The iPhone camera way distorts the nearer subject.

In this one the Junior blade looks longer.

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Thank you for the comparison pictures. They will prove crucial when making my decision.
*Landon*
bh49

Post by bh49 »

This is not Sierra, but there are few very interesting deals @ GPK, some current production 50-51% off. Among them the lowest price for Chap3 I ever saw. $120 for doublebevel and couple more. Go to sale section.

DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Spyderco Puuko Fixed Blade Knife 45% off --> $153.97 today

This one's not on my list, but I don't think they do the 45% off for Spydies very often, so I thought I'd mention it.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Got my Junior (my second) and the Des Horn. Gotta say, the Des Horn is a beautiful knife. Probably not too incredibly practical for my general usage, but I'm glad I got one. The tip is one of the pointiest, thinnest tips I've seen. I'll have to be careful with it.

A couple interesting observations:

1) The Des Horn has a code of KL, putting the manufacture at Nov 2012. Since these just arrived at Sierra in March, that tells me the Des Horn has sat on the shelf for over a year before being offloaded to Sierra. That, combined with the lack of people posting about this knife here on the forum, indicates it certainly wasn't a good seller. This one will certainly be on the discontinued list this year (Sierra has always been a good indicator of upcoming discontinuations anyway).

2) My Dialex Junior has a code of EN, putting manufacture at May 2014. I find that surprising. The Junior was announced as discontinued last November, yet mine was just manufactured last month. I wonder what the story is on that?
-Kyle

JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I don't think the box codes indicate manufacture dates - they indicate the date the knife was boxed. It serves as a sort of "not later than" indication rather than a date of manufacture.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

JNewell wrote:I don't think the box codes indicate manufacture dates - they indicate the date the knife was boxed. It serves as a sort of "not later than" indication rather than a date of manufacture.
Still, a 6-month lag seems like quite a big gap. Could be they had parts laying around to build the Junior after the discontinuation and finally got around to assembling them I suppose.
-Kyle