Enuff Sheath Update

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Michael Janich

Enuff Sheath Update

Post by Michael Janich »

After learning that some customers were having an issue with the retention of their Enuff sheaths, we sat down with our engineers and our Japanese maker to analyze the problem and address it. Based on that analysis, we redesigned the mouth of the sheath to increase its purchase and tension on the knife handle. We also added a small pin to apply pressure to the spine of the blade and eliminate movement or rattling of the knife in the sheath.

After receiving the improved sheaths, we tested them extensively and approved them. They began shipping with all Enuff orders in March. Odds are, if you have purchased or received an Enuff in the past month, it already has the improved sheath.

If you own an Enuff with a first-generation sheath and have had an issue with its retention, you can exchange it for a second-generation sheath. Please send the sheath only (there's no need to send the knife), along with your return shipping address, a daytime phone number, and a brief note requesting the replacement to:

Spyderco, Inc.
ATTN: Warranty and Repair
820 Spyderco Way
Golden, CO 80403 U.S.A.

Thank you for your patience and support while we addressed this issue.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Hello Michael,

Do these newer FRN sheaths dull the knives on the insert/draw? I used to own a Rock Salt and my brother has a few Aquas that have this problem. Thanks.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

That sounds great that Spyderco is always trying to improve things.

I too remember a few other folks having issues with their knives dulling on insert/extraction, had not seen the issues with retention. I have a couple of Enuff's, and have not had any issues with retention or dulling with mine so far, perhaps because I had heard of the issues and am always conscious of the possibility, so I tend to pull it out in a way to keep pressure *away* from the edge.

So I don't need to exchange mine, but am happy that Spyderco is trying to keep their customer's needs in mind! Thumbs up!
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Thanks for the update Michael, and thanks for listening.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Blerv wrote:Hello Michael,

Do these newer FRN sheaths dull the knives on the insert/draw? I used to own a Rock Salt and my brother has a few Aquas that have this problem. Thanks.
In the old days of leather sheaths, the two sides of the sheath were separated by a welt of thicker leather that protected the stitching from being cut by the blade's edge. Since leather is soft, if the edge contacted it on the blade's way in or out of the sheath, the effect was negligible.

Most molded Kydex sheaths are two-piece or foldover construction with the seam on the edge side. They don't have a welt and even if you try, it's difficult to get the edge all the way into the crease of the seam to dull it.

Molded polymer sheaths combine the inner cavity of the welt-style construction with a material that is much harder than leather. If you draw your knife and drag the edge along the inside of the sheath, you will dull the edge. The key to NOT doing this is to use proper technique, which is to consciously index the spine of the blade on the inside of the sheath and ride it in while maintaining pressure with the spine.

For the record, this applies to all polymer sheaths, regardless of manufacturer, as well as traditional wooden sheaths and scabbards.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

Definitely agree with you, Mike. Straight in, straight out. Any twist in the motion either way (off-axis) will drag the edge on the inside of the sheath. Key words: proper technique.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Hmm, we tend to be fairly cautious with installing/removing a blade from one of these. I guess I'll avoid them in the future.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Guess I need to grab one then
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Just received my Enuff H1 sheepsfoot blade. Retention is great, i like the new sheath!
It's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Jim Malone wrote:Just received my Enuff H1 sheepsfoot blade. Retention is great, i like the new sheath!
Can you post a picture of the difference?
glbpro

Re: Enuff Sheath Update

Post by glbpro »

Could I ask how you identify the new sheath vs the old? I just purchased a new Enuff leaf blade today - the date code on the box is BM indicating the knife was made last year, so I want to verify whether I have the new or the old sheath. Thank you.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Based on the initial post, it seems yours is one of the old sheaths. Mr. Janich stated they will begin shipping in March of this year.
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

tvenuto wrote:Based on the initial post, it seems yours is one of the old sheaths. Mr. Janich stated they will begin shipping in March of this year.
So it would seem - however knives and boxes do occassionally get swapped around so I'd like to know how to visually verify that I have an older sheath before sending it in. I'm a very very long way from Golden ;)
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

If you look in the mouth of the original sheath there is a small "shelf" that acts as a stop for the handle. If you insert the knife so it is oriented to use the thumb push-off on the sheath (the "relieved" side of the sheath profile), the shelf is on the opposite side of the sheath mouth--where the edge would go in.

Newer sheaths have longer lips to retain the handle and instead of the shelf described above, they have a small molded pin that extends across the mouth of the sheath on one side of its mouth. If you see this pin, you have a new sheath.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

Thank you for the reply Mike, it was very helpful. I have one of the old sheaths, so will be sending it in for exchange.

I think it would be quite helpful for pictures of the old and new sheaths to be posted on the product page as well as on the first post of this topic so that people are aware of the issue, especially in the second hand market.

Regards,
Bruno
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

maybe you could post the picture of your old sheath and then update your post when you get the new version?
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am happy to hear of this. I did not purchase the Enuff because of the sheath issue. I am too far away to send the knife in for such a warranty claim that I was certain could not have been fixed. I really like the knife so it is back on my "buy list".
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Here are the Enuff sheaths side by side. The early generation is on the left, the new one on the right in both photos. The most obvious difference, as you can see from the profile, is the addition of the longer sheath lips. If yours looks like that, you're good to go.
Enuff Sheaths 1.JPG
Enuff Sheaths 2.JPG
Stay safe,

Mike
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Great explanation, Mike. Thanks for supporting Spyderco's user community - we appreciate your dedication and "spirit of service"!

TedP
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

Thank you Mike, that should make the differences clear as day to everyone. Looking forward to my new sheath!

Can dealers with old sheaths in stock send them in for an exchange as well, or is that handled differently? The shop where I got mine in Singapore still has about half a dozen Enuffs, all with the old sheath, and were completely unaware of the redesign.

Bruno