G10 vs frn vs frcp

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Have no experience with FRCP.

Appearance? G10 is handsome in most colors, if more modestly so than FRN, which shouts for attention in any color because of the purpose-built texturing (Squeak and Pingo, excepted).

Purchase in the hand? FRN (Squeak and Pingo excepted) is rather better than G10 (and so it should be in view of the high cost of molds).

Durability? FRN is much better than G10 at least initially (the high points of G10 smooth out with pocket time), but I have no idea about long-term as my knives aren't that old or abused.

I can't imagine Sal and Eric putting out FRCP if it was noticeably less attractive, grippy or long-lasting than FRN or G10. Translucence, however, doesn't enthuse me.

ETA: I EDC'd a VG10 Stretch for several months last year but it got bumped by my M4 Manix2. A test of my scale preferences will start with arrival of my S110V Manix2 Lightweight. But, frankly, I think the thing will boil down to whether I prefer M4 or S110V. Steel trumps scales in my book. I love VG10 but love M4 even more, so it's G10 over FRN.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I like G10, but it does not excite me, except in colors.....but that is more about looks. FRN, is a great handle material and I really like the durability of it. FRCN is the first handle material that has excited me in years. My Manix 2 LW is fantastic.

My favorite material is still micarta....I have some handmade micarta knives, both paper and cloth, and it, imho excels in all temps....very grippy.
PM2(Camo/Satin) Military (Safety Orange, Camo), Endura (Wave, ZDP-189, Super Blue), Gayle Bradley, Techno, Pacific Salt PE, Tasman Salt SE, Harpy, Manbug ZDP-189, Dragonfly Aus 8, Ladybug (Red with CE...1990ish), Cricket SE, Civilian.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Hang on, maybe I'm missing something and someone can help me out. So if I understand correctly, you guys aren't just saying you like FRN more than G10 for the money, but you actually prefer FRN to G10? As in if two of the same knives were the same price and one had FRN and one had G10, you would choose the FRN model?
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
phaust

Post by phaust »

Strong-Dog wrote:Hang on, maybe I'm missing something and someone can help me out. So if I understand correctly, you guys aren't just saying you like FRN more than G10 for the money, but you actually prefer FRN to G10? As in if two of the same knives were the same price and one had FRN and one had G10, you would choose the FRN model?
Definite yes from me. I'll take frn/frcp/etc (and also aluminum) over g10. I wish g10 wasn't so popular.
paladin

Post by paladin »

For some people, lighter = better...even if it's just a little bit...

Some are texture snobs and don't like the "feel" of G10...

FRN will not chew up your clothes as bad as G10...

FRN allows for some stylistic & ergonomic touches that would be difficult to execute in G10...

FRN has more flex & memory, if ever called upon, than G10...

G10 = very low maintenance, FRN = no maintenance (admittedly probably as close to a push here as any "reason" I've listed) ...

I'm far from a G10 hater ( I love it ), but I guess I'm not surprised that someone could think FRN is "the stuff."
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

phaust wrote:Definite yes from me. I'll take frn/frcp/etc (and also aluminum) over g10. I wish g10 wasn't so popular.
Wow, I didn't know people actually felt that. I guess there is just a stigma that G10 is "better" than FRN or the like. I however do prefer G10, from actual experience
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
SaintlyBrees

Post by SaintlyBrees »

Strong-Dog wrote:Wow, I didn't know people actually felt that. I guess there is just a stigma that G10 is "better" than FRN or the like. I however do prefer G10, from actual experience
They wouldn't sell knives in other handle materials if they weren't popular. FRN sells as does G10 and CF and Ti and so-on...

I think that preference is why Spyderco (and other manufacturers) provide a choice. I'd never knock anyone who prefers G10 but "from actual experience" ( ;) ) I prefer FRN. I find that in hard use the light weight and texture of FRN is easier on the hand and makes the task easier as well. Very, very tough stuff indeed.

I like G10 and own several knives that use that handle material . In some cases G10 makes for a better package. But given a choice for a real use knife, I'll take FRN every time. For example, I love my Manix 2 XL and use it often, but I would buy an FRN version in a heartbeat. I have 2 other Manix 2 knives in G10 (hollow grind, blue sprint run) but my Manix 2 LW [Edit: the FRCP on it and the FRN on my new S110V are extremely similar in weight and feel] is by far my most used knife. It has been through a lot of hard use and I love it.

To each his/her own and thank goodness for options. :)
My Spydies:
6 Manix 2 [blk/blk S30V, blk/blk XL, blue Sprint, blue LW, S110V LW, S90V CF XL]; 2 Delicas [VG10, Super Blue]; 4 Dragonflies [Tatoo, VG10, ZDP-189/Nishijin, Super Blue]; 4 Natives [S30V, Brn CTS-XHP, G10 S35N, Forum S110V]; 2 Chaparrals [Stepped Ti, CF]; 3 PM2s [blk/blk, blk/red Putnam, GRN CTS-204P sprint]; 1 CF bolt-action Sage; 1 Air; 1 Super Blue Manbug; 1 blk H1/blk frn Pacific Salt; 2 Stretch [Super Blue, ZDP-189]; 2 Enduras [VG10, blue jigged bone Damascus]
Ned

Post by Ned »

I would have to say that I like all of the handle materials that I have experienced so far. My FRN knives (Delica/Endura) remind me of the simple practicality of say, Glock pistols; very durable, utilitarian and with the bidirectional grip pattern, technologically sophisticated. I also find FRN to be much easier on my pockets than G10 and is much quicker out of the pocket rendering it more appropriate for martial application. Having said this, G10 is kind of special to me in an aesthetic way, it is simply pleasing to my senses. I do not really see much difference between FRN and FRCP. I suspect that FRCP is not quite as flexible as FRN however I may be wrong.
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

I honestly have moods.

Sometimes I pick up a knife and it feels like a brick. So I pick a lighter knife.

Then there are times that light knife feels too light, and I want something more substantial.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Yeah, I prefer G10 with steel liners over FRN, but I don't mind FRN in some instances.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

All are good. Black G-10 is very boring to me nowadays. FRN with steel liners is extremely practical and lower cost. I love it on the Delica. I like the gray G-10 on the superblue Calys. Even the digicam G-10 on the Para 2 is interesting. Carbon fiber in its various forms is probably my favorite scale material from Spyderco.
I don't know that FRCP is always harder than FRN. Reports are that the new FRN Lightweight Manix2 110V is nearly indistinguishable from the FRCP of the older Manix2 Lightweight CTS-BD1. It's not like the FRN found on other models.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

How much lighter is FRN than G-10 on an otherwise identical knife with the same liners or lack thereof? My guess is: not very much lighter. However, I don't own any two knives with only this difference to compare with one another.

If the cost were equivalent between FRN and G-10 versions, I'd mostly buy the FRN version because it is friendly to hands and pockets while offering superior grip traction and drop toughness. My biggest gripe with G-10 is how it abrades my hand as I reach past it into the pocket it's clipped to.
SaintlyBrees

Post by SaintlyBrees »

Bill1170 wrote:How much lighter is FRN than G-10 on an otherwise identical knife with the same liners or lack thereof? My guess is: not very much lighter. However, I don't own any two knives with only this difference to compare with one another.

If the cost were equivalent between FRN and G-10 versions, I'd mostly buy the FRN version because it is friendly to hands and pockets while offering superior grip traction and drop toughness. My biggest gripe with G-10 is how it abrades my hand as I reach past it into the pocket it's clipped to.
On my scale:

S110V Manix 2 w/FRN = 2.4 oz

S30V Manix 2 w/G10 = 3.8 oz
My Spydies:
6 Manix 2 [blk/blk S30V, blk/blk XL, blue Sprint, blue LW, S110V LW, S90V CF XL]; 2 Delicas [VG10, Super Blue]; 4 Dragonflies [Tatoo, VG10, ZDP-189/Nishijin, Super Blue]; 4 Natives [S30V, Brn CTS-XHP, G10 S35N, Forum S110V]; 2 Chaparrals [Stepped Ti, CF]; 3 PM2s [blk/blk, blk/red Putnam, GRN CTS-204P sprint]; 1 CF bolt-action Sage; 1 Air; 1 Super Blue Manbug; 1 blk H1/blk frn Pacific Salt; 2 Stretch [Super Blue, ZDP-189]; 2 Enduras [VG10, blue jigged bone Damascus]
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I find FRN (type) knifes to be easier to get in/out of my pocket, are more comfortable/secure in hand, and are far cheaper than G10 versions. Also, they tend to be lighter which is more a model decision than a construction one.

I own quite a few G10 knives and see the preference people have. They certainly are easier to produce in smaller numbers. I just prefer almost every other material to it, even CF as it has a chance of being something other than matte black. If Spyderco made more polished G10 knives in various colors the tune would change.

SaintlyBrees wrote:On my scale:

S110V Manix 2 w/FRN = 2.4 oz

S30V Manix 2 w/G10 = 3.8 oz
Except those aren't identical construction as mentioned by the poster. My guess is a slab of FRN/FRCP is very similar in weight to a slab of G10. The Poliwog and Dodo are more or less unlined G10 and only about 2.6oz. Construction tendencies though make the injection molded materials winners (on average) for weight watchers.
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

G10 seems to be popular because it gives the illusion of added toughness over frn. Frn is probably the perfect material from a pure performance point of view, I can't imagine ever damaging it badly. But even I will admit I sometimes like the added heft of g10 construction, or better yet, my ti/g10 Millie.

But the days where I want a work horse which will disappear in pocket, I go for Frn.
Will Rogers

Re: G10 vs frn vs frcp

Post by Will Rogers »

This is a very interesting thread. I generally prefer lightweight knives (under 3 ounces) - but I also prefer G10 to FRN, although the only G10 knife I currently have is a Kershaw Skyline, which weighs about 2.3 ounces. So I don't really get why there aren't an Spyderco knives with G10 in the same weight range. Also, the Paramilitary 2, which is regarded by many as the closest you can get to the perfect EDC knife, has G10 scales. If FRN is lighter and better, why is the PM2 still made with G10? Obviously Spyderco is making some marketing decisions that are not in synch with the ongoing debates on Spyderco Forums regarding handle materials.
Miss Dragonfly

Re:

Post by Miss Dragonfly »

Holland wrote:
The Deacon wrote:It depends. Mostly on how the materials are finished. I will say that, of the three, the only one that spends any appreciable amount of time in my pocket is FRN, in the form of the black FRN/VG-10 Stretch. However, I will say that the red G-10 on the Schempp Persian Sprint, and the black G-10 on the Des Horn look great and are head and shoulders above any FRN surface treatment Spyderco has ever used in terms of beauty. But, among Spyderco's G-10 offering, they're the odd cases. Peel-ply G-10, OTOH, is probably the most unattractive material ever slapped on the sides of a pocket knife. Given the choice between it and stabilized dessicated dog poop, I'd take the lawn sausage. As for FRCP, I'm sure Spyderco tested it thoroughly and believe it to be at least as strong as FRN, if not stronger, but for some reason it feels brittle to me and does not inspire my confidence.
Hahah! i nearly spat water all over my computer reading this :D
Mine did get a big spray of water! :eek: H1 steel computers, are they a thing?! :D Great descriptor! Too funny! :) :) :)

G-10 for me. No real experience with FRN, so there's that, but FRN looks, well, a bit plastic-y to me and I don't like the logo also on the handle. (LOVE :spyder: on the blade!) FRN sorta seems less subtly chic than say foliage green G-10 (that's not peel-ply, is it? :eek: ). To my hand, the feel of G-10 is comfortably coarse, if that makes sense. Connects to the hand, as opposed to digging in or catching skin. (Not that the others do that.) The possible added weight of G-10 in a smaller pocketknife, for me, gives it proper heft and provides an invaluable level of confidence. In conclusion, I firmly believe even with my admittedly limited experience that G-10 is no "lawn sausage." :p :D
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
Marilyn Monroe
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I prefer G10 and wish Spyderco offered more regular color options, such as dark grey. Think about a dark grey Millie or a foliage green PM2. However, I also really like FRN and love, I mean love, the bi-directional texturing.

I had a thought. I wonder if it is possible to actually texture FRN like G10? I know they put some texturing on the Pingo, et al. but I was thinking more like that found on g10 scales. Perhaps they could put a piece of sandpaper in the mould when they make it and then when they squirt the FRN into the mould the pattern would be there.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I strongly favoured g10 for a while, for its heft and solid feel - and the models that sported it.

However, having used frn more, I am starting to, if not prefer it then certainly view it as an equal, with a number of similarly positive - but different - attributes.

When the PM3 comes out in a choice of frn or G10, I will choose the frn.

I have less experience of frcp.
hom76

Post by hom76 »

For knives that are gonna be used, I prefer FRN especially for small knives. It is very light but very tough.