Alternative to black G-10 -- Optional 2nd color choice for regular production knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I thought Spyderco already tried this a few years ago when they offered a good number of the lineup in foliage green G-10. They seem to have went away from it recently, though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Clip wrote:I think one of the things I recognize most about Spyderco is the unique color assigned to certain exclusives and sprints. Therefore, I'm not a fan of offering multiple G10 colors for the same knife (unless its a sprint or exclusive). I picture this turning into Hindererville where everyone that wants to sell a PM2 has 12 different scales to go with it and about 3 lbs of different screws and backspacers to match :)

This isn't to say I only want black G10, but if a model is popular enough it will probably have a different color and steel associated soon.
I was really thinking in terms of having just one additional color option, the same one for, say, one to three popular G-10 knives.

But maybe a better way to offer an alternative to black G-10 would be to associate a G-10 color with a particular super steel and add it as a regular production choice, occasionally at least, like it's being done with British Racing Green FRN and ZDP-189. Maybe something like foliage green with D2 steel for PM2, millie, & Manix2; or ranger green with M4 for the same knives, or dark green with S110V or whatever.

I'm sure this question of associating a color with a particular super steel has come up many times with the Spydercrew and they have no doubt analyzed it up one side and down the other. Sometimes I wonder how they tolerate so many people constantly trying to tell them how to run their operation :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Jay_Ev wrote:I thought Spyderco already tried this a few years ago when they offered a good number of the lineup in foliage green G-10. They seem to have went away from it recently, though.
Since I've only been a Spydernut for a year I missed out on that. Drat! I wish I'd been around then... maybe they'll do it again :)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.