Spyderco Knife Design I Made. It's Called "The Dutchie"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hitman4Hire

Spyderco Knife Design I Made. It's Called "The Dutchie"

Post by Hitman4Hire »

Hi guys,

I've been a big fan of Spyderco knives for a long time. It all started with me buying a classic Endura 4 and a Delica soon afterwards. Since then I've been to a Spyderco Meets in Amsterdam which was awesome.

But now I've tried to design my own Spyderco knife. It incorporates a more sizable hand guard then you would find on most spyderco knives and I tried to emulate a little of the grip of a RAT-I and II which I love as well.

It's called the Dutchie since I'm Dutch and thought it would be a fun name. The blade has a Full Flat Grind, the dimensions are a little on the guestimation side, but my intention is for it to fall between an Endura and Delica knife.

Hope you all like it and provide me some informative feedback.

- Hitman4Hire

Full Knife - Open and Closed.

Detail on how the knife looks closed and the position of the lanyard hole.

Jimping Details on the Finger Guard and Choil.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

FYI, If you're serious, you just shot yourself in the foot hard. If you want them to take any of your designs, you need to do a nondisclosure agreement with them. You've officially disclosed the design to the world now.

It looks like a nice and comfortable design though. You may want to try the superleaf, it has a lot in common with what you propose.

Also, nice use of CAD software. Which package did you use?
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
MCM

Post by MCM »

I would work on the name a bit. Sounds too much like something else....................
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I was going to say FRN Superleaf.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

It reminds me of an armadillo
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
Donut

Post by Donut »

Hello, welcome to the forum.

A few thoughts: I don't know what the screw closest to the pivot is doing, back locks typically don't have a screw there. A back lock has a rectangular indent inside the handle near the thumb ramp. When closed, the tip is so close to being exposed, if you sharpen it, the tip will be accessible when closed.

It's an interesting first go, looks like a cross between an Aqua, Stretch, and Superleaf.

Solid, that could be a graphic program, the red outline looks like a "path".
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
nccole

Post by nccole »

It reminds me of the Junior a bit. The 50/50 choil looks un-Spyderco-like. It looks Hinder-ish, and I have to think that Spyderco has reasoning for not making a choil like that, I have always thought it looked dangerous. Cool rendering, the FRN looks good.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Hitman,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

Wow nice design. I like it. If that was available i would buy. 3 inch blade and a wire pocket clip. I would call that a perfect knife.
My :spyder:'s
Pm2(1), salt 1, dragonfly 2 salt(2), dragonfly 2(1), delica 4(2), tenacious(2), persistence(2), kiwi 3(2), grasshopper, honeybee, bug, native 5 g10, manbug, ladybug, sage 3, southard(turned mini) kiwi 4 g10, manix 2 LW s110v

:spyder:Kyle:spyder:
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

It's a well done design not into that choil IMO.
Own: C81GPBN2 x 2
Wanted: FB30GP, FB37GGRP, C180GP, C10FPBN x 2, C11FPBN & FB35PBK and a C204MF most of all!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Overall, I like the design a lot. One thing I would look at more closely is the choil area. I like my choils to be more "open" - sort of semi-circular in shape. The design at it sits now looks like it would almost trap my finger and push it uncomfortably close to the back edge of the blade. Maybe if you sacrificed a couple of mm of edge, you could widen the choil a bit.

Nice work!

TedP
Paddy B

Post by Paddy B »

I like the design. Only thing I'd change is give it G10 scales. I have frn knives and while they perform great for their price point, they just look a little cheap compared to g10. Just my opinion.
Paddy B

Post by Paddy B »

Makes me wanna design one for us Irish folks. It would have to include a tactical beer bottle opener, though! ��
Holland

Post by Holland »

Paddy B wrote:Makes me wanna design one for us Irish folks. It would have to include a tactical beer bottle opener, though! ��
lol

Welcome to the forums! I like the design, but feel like the choil should be more friendly
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Please make designs as many as you like and I hope you enjoy it.
May it bring you wealth and succes.
And a long life and many employees.
But I do object against the name that you suggest.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
Jason1986

Post by Jason1986 »

wow, thats really cool! Which software are you using to make these designs?
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I hate designing somethign from scratch and getting a reply of

"it looks like a ______"

Seriously, once you think you hit a jackpot design and somebody says it doesnt look your knife it isnt the greatest feeling.

Just a pet peeve
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

By the way, I really likek that design, A few more refinements and I woul say I'd buy one :)