good flashlght?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

NoFair wrote:Batteryjunction have neutrals in stock:
Thanks!

I find their description confusing. 360° ring (don't think it really does that, my M11R is more like 120°)
Some places they say it's an XML T6 and others an XML2 T6 (pretty sure it's an XML?)

But anyway... The XML T6 4C is a nice emitter. It's what's in my M11R. I'll be very interested to see how this XML2 compares.

What I'd really like to see is an RRT01 with a Nichia 219 in it.

;)

Ken
玉鋼
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Streamlight is my go to.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I'm still carrying (and often breaking) inexpensive lights. I've settled on an Eveready (might be rebranded) that has three pretty bright LEDs (thinking 50-70 lumens) and takes three AAAs. Might have cost 12-15 bucks. It only has one function but is not too hard on those cells and seems to be stouter than the meny other cheaper lights ( I have a simple Rock River Gear 1 LED that is sound as well). I'm torn between looking into something modest but nicer (100+ lumens with multiple light levels) and modding or building my own ( I really like red LED lights as an option and am considering something that can be handheld or head-mounted). Next gen microcontroller-driven reference designs are out and will deliver better performance, less heat, longer battery life at a comparable or even lower cost once production ramps up. I assume some are on the market but I'm considering just biting the bullet and building one of these with some modularity so I can have swappable heads for different bulbs or upgrade to better newer bulbs as they come out. Any thoughts?
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

There are some great drop ins out there with lots of choices. It's a great way to update.

Myself, I enjoy seeing the other changes (advancements?) that evolve in UI, form etc along with LED changes so it's not something I personally want to get into, but it's a very popular scenario these days. One of Blake's lights is this way so he'll have better input for you, I'm sure.

Ken
玉鋼
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The cheapest quality host is a Solarforce L2 for about $12. It's a Chinese clone of the Surefire 6P but bored for a single 18650 or two 18350's. Two RCR123/CR123's fit too but rattle a bit so a piece of rolled up paper helps cut down on the noise. They also have a single short body available for a couple bucks that lets you run a single CR123/RCR123/18350.

If you prefer AA's a good host is the Dereelight Javelin. It takes two AA's or three cells with an extender. Also Chinese but very high quality and uses the p60 engine. They have other models like the DBS that take the p60 pill (no reflector) so you can update/replace as you see fit.

I've spent a bunch of money on p60 Lego parts (relatively). Fivemega, Ronac, Oveready mainly. I think Gene Malkoff makes a host as do a few others. Surefire was obviously the first on the scene and their venerable 6p is USA made and high quality, although they won't accept a 18650 without boring. They are some of the better makers while the Chinese produced ones are far from rubbish. Think of it as the Tenacious to the Para2.

You can build your own D26/P60 dropins or buy them. As completed units they start cheap in various voltage ranges (if you want to run one cell to four) $8-20. Custom ones are about $40-50 and Tri-emitter fancy ones can get up to about $120.

I have a Solarforce M3 head in route which is basically a turbo head with a larger reflector for more throw. The LED pill is replaceable. They (and others) have even larger reflectors available. In stock trim with a larger LED, like a Cree XM-L2, a P60 is fairly floody. A pretty shallow and small (26mm) reflector can only focus so much. Smaller LED's like the XPG2 or XRE2 can toss light a very long ways even in this small reflector albeit at less overall output (ie lumens).

The DIY or semi-DIY path is pretty fun :) . With a single CR123, cheap host, and nice drop in you have a very durable light with 1-4 modes and a bunch of possible accessories. If the lens, LED, or switch fail you can just replace them. Not bad for about $60 to start.

I have a bunch of Peak Led Solutions smaller lights too, also made in the USA. The heads swap between similar bodies so if tech radicially changes you can buy these individually rather than seeking out someone to mod the light. They are available with variable or single mode brightness and a plethora of configurations. That...is another confusing post all together :) .
QUICKSILVER

Post by QUICKSILVER »

Kylems11,

I highly recommend the iTP A3 flashlight.

I carry an iTP A3 flashlight in my JEANS WATCH POCKET along with a Bausch & Lomb Packette 5X magnifying glass all the time. They weigh very little and I use the flashlight many times a week.

The iTP A3 flashlight takes one AAA battery and puts out >Low1.5 lumens (50 hours) ->Medium 18 lumens (4 hours) ->High 96 lumens (55 minutes). Mine are an older models with only 80 lumens on high but that is very bright. Even the 1.5 lumens low setting is enough to see where you are walking at night. It costs around $20 on Amazon. It is a little over 2 1/2 inches long and a little over 1/2 inch in diameter. Still works after several years of EDC.

Very durable, very small light & very bright beam.

The magnifying glass comes in handy from time to time but its real advantage is the way it holds the flashlight in the pocket with no clip. They both fit below the top double seam which holds them in the watch pocket. After several years of carry they have never come out.

Always having a flashlight with me saves time and frustration. I highly recommend the iTP A3 flashlight in the watch pocket of jeans.

Bill Maier
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Nice little light. There's a 2014 Ultimate that goes to 100 lumens (XP-G2) on lightjunction. Worth a look if you like the A3.

Ken
玉鋼
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Thrunite Ti2, very small the size of a chapstick uses a single AAA battery, has extra cap O-ring included two modes, twist on and off, well built and very bright for such a small flashlight. And really you can't beat the price on these ones around $11. That's in my EDC fatty pack and no complaints so far.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ANI ... B00AMC4ZYI
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
TSchloz

Post by TSchloz »

I carry a Fenix LD15 on a daily basis, and highly recommend it. Two modes (low and high), 1 AA battery.

Tom
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

LC Kid wrote:Hi Mr Kylems11!

So you're looking for some durable, dimming capable, that will last, not to expensive and very small light.
:rolleyes:

I'd recommend you two models:

- Fenix LD01: 72 lumens, 3 light modes, 1 AAA battery, $ 30.

- Fenix E11: 105 lumens, 2 brightness levels, 1 AA battery, $ 32.

There are like a million different brands/models/brightness/sizes, but if you just want a good reliable small light, then you can't go wrong with Fenix.
:)
I have both these lights. Well, wife stole the E11. :) I absolutely LOVE the LD01. It is perfect IMO. Not only does it have 3 brightness levels, it turns on to the one I prefer. Easilly operated with one hand. IT HAS A CLIP! The brightnesses are 3 perfect brightnesses for me. I can walk my dog using only it on a cloudy night (no moon or stars) using a 16' leash. And that is on the medium setting. I recommend it to everyone. Even people who don't want a new flashlight. :D But, the reason I'm posting this is because of the prices you quoted. Where do you get a Fenix LD01 for around $30. I think mine was closer to $40. Now I'm considering another light that is brighter. I don't need the lights with 200 features, SOS, strobe and I don't want one bright enough to start a fire on the moon. I'm thinking about the Fenix E15. One CR123 battery and 170 lumens. Under $30 also on ebay. But I'd like to know where you get lights just for shopping competitiveness. :)

To the OP. I have an OLight and like it. I got the one that uses one AA battery but found it didn't produce the brightest light level on the highest setting I wanted. So I ordered a different "barrel" for it making it capable of using a CR123 battery. Now it's better. The only problem with this is I use rechargable AAA and AA batteries and now need to buy the CR123 batteries. I don't guess that's too big of a hardship. :D The "barrel" goes between the end cap and the head (where the bulb is). Now it is n OLight T10. You can buy the T10 or the T?? (like I did) but the one that uses one AA battery is about the same as my Fenix LD01.

I'm glad I didn't get inot flashlights like I did knives. I can see the compulsion though.

Jack
Nate

Post by Nate »

opusxpn wrote:Thrunite Ti2, very small the size of a chapstick uses a single AAA battery, has extra cap O-ring included two modes, twist on and off, well built and very bright for such a small flashlight. And really you can't beat the price on these ones around $11. That's in my EDC fatty pack and no complaints so far.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ANI ... B00AMC4ZYI
+1 on the Ti2. I use my Xeno E03 most of the time, but I gave Ti2's to my kids. Great budget AAA option. Really like the firefly (low) mode on them. This is another light that benefits from a Fenix clip. The LD01 clip fits them perfectly. (I bought several clips directly from Fenix)

I did have an issue with one of the Thrunites going straight to high, (couldn't access low) but they were happy to exchange it with no hassle.

I have an LD01 too, it's a nice light, but personally wished it started on low instead of medium. The build quality seems much high than the Thrunite overall, but it costs a lot more too.
:spyder:
Donut

Post by Donut »

As far as I know, the Ti2 model was never made with a firefly, low low, mode.

Oh, it looks like the Amazon product description isn't completely correct. According to Thrunite's information on CPF Marketplace, the Ti was offered with a XP-E R4 as it's normal model with a 3 lumen low and a 60 lumen high. They offered the "firefly" model with a 0.04 "low low/firefly" and 60 lumen high.

I don't remember seeing the Ti2 in a "firefly" model with a low low. It has an XP-G2 emitter and gives a 3 lumen low and 81 lumen high.

It's pretty impressive for a $10 light, but reliability hasn't been the greatest. Some people get them and they don't work and some people get them and they stop working.

I think some people don't understand how the light works. There is a piece of metal that the positive end of the battery pushes on, when the piece of metal is pushed far enough, the light contacts the high mode. The piece of metal can stick giving you a single mode light... all you have to do is bend the piece of metal back some to give you your low mode back.

There is the L3 Illumination, L10. It's a twisty AA light that gives you another relatively inexpensive option for a light. They run around $25 or so, are available in different colors and have Nichia 219 as an emitter option.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Donut wrote: There is the L3 Illumination, L10. It's a twisty AA light that gives you another relatively inexpensive option for a light. They run around $25 or so, are available in different colors and have Nichia 219 as an emitter option.
These really are great little budget lights. I have one (with their cheap clip) Puts out a terrific high CRI beam. You'll never mistake the build quality for a Fenix but for $25 is really great. I have lights costing 3x more that don't have as nice a beam.

Ken
玉鋼
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Here's a few recent acquisitions:

Jetbeam RRT01, Sunwayman M11RPE, M11R and V11Rvn, Fenix PD22
All CR123 powered

Maratac CU, Peak Eiger, Beta QR, Peak Eiger Ultra, Maratac rev 3

All are AAA

Light on the left is L3 L10 AA

Ken
玉鋼
Nate

Post by Nate »

Donut wrote:As far as I know, the Ti2 model was never made with a firefly, low low, mode.
I was referring to the Ti2 with the 3 lumen low, I still have one in the box and it's labeled "Firefly: 3 lumens." Not sure if that is "low low," but I like it.

I am familiar with how the contact works, and ruled this out before contacting Thrunite. So reliability may be a concern, but at least I had a good CS experience. To be honest, I've wondered if one of the kids over-torqued it and that led to the failure. Neither the other one nor the replacement has had an issue since though. They've seen some "hard use" in the hands of a pair of 5-7 yrs olds, lol.
:spyder:
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

defenestrate wrote:I've settled on an Eveready (might be rebranded) that has three pretty bright LEDs (thinking 50-70 lumens) and takes three AAAs. Might have cost 12-15 bucks. It only has one function but is not too hard on those cells... I'm torn between looking into something modest but nicer (100+ lumens with multiple light levels)
The next step up might be a Maglite XL50- 139 lumens, multiple modes, about $25.

I'm now a Fenix fan and they have some lights that you would really like, but they are significantly more expensive.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

bdblue wrote:I'm now a Fenix fan and they have some lights that you would really like, but they are significantly more expensive.
Fenix are great lights. I have 7 of them now. Rock solid. Well worth it, IMO.

Ken
玉鋼