Any Radio Activity/ Radiation coming off SEKI-City Spyderco steel ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I'm starting to be concerned about my sprint run kryptonite PM2. Should I be worried?
"Rules are for the adherence of fools, and the guidance of wise men". Except in a pandemic....
Military Kapara, Brouwer, UKPK (GIN1 CE, HH g10 & s110v), Delica IV SG, Caly 3 SE, Kiwi4, Lil Matriarch, Endura SG & SEW, Dragonfly Hap40, Manbug ZDP189 & SB, Ladybug 2, Vtoku & HB, Stretch HAP40, Squeak, Squeak Ti, Chicago440C, Ikuchi, Byrd Tern, Watu, Chaparral Stealth Ti, Manix XL & Rex45 G10, Shaman ZCarta, Wolfspyder, NC cf, N5 M4,
hawaiihunter

Post by hawaiihunter »

That depends on whether your name is Clark Kent or not.
Looking for: Grey Cts-20cp Paramilitary 2
Green Cts-204p Paramilitary 2
S110v Mule

Currently own: Tenacious, Green Cts-204P Paramiitary 2
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I guess this pic proves that radioactivity is taking a toll...

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Wow Chuck, that's a face only a mother could love!

As for the rest of this thread, really?
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

We're all DOOMED! Radiation has gotten into everything! Even Denver is doomed!

10 Things You Probably Didn't Know Were Radioactive:
http://listverse.com/2013/02/06/10-thin ... dioactive/
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mattman

Post by mattman »

Was it radioactivity that brought this thread back from the dead?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I just hope all my vaccines don't cause eventual mental problems. Wait a minute...how do I know they haven't...? :eek:
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Clip wrote:Pinetree, are you a fellow radworker?
I have been in a BRT* or two, but just part time, I wasn't a real Migrant Radiation Worker. :) No dosimetry was required for the time I spent inside a reactor vessel and associated piping. I was working in construction QA at San Onofre Units 2 and 3 and picked to help with a shutdown at Unit 1. I returned to constriction but was called back for two more Unit 1 shutdowns before we completed work on Units 2 and 3. After San Onofre we moved to Texas to finish the South Texas Project, with some brief stops at the Grand Gulf and Palo Verde plants. After STP it was the Savannah River Site where I became a cat herder and retired.

It kills me to see San Onofre Units 2 and 3 decommissioned. The anti nuclear zealots don't realize/care are adding a huge additional load on the dirt burners, (coal fired generation plants), in the Four Corners area. I guess many mega tons of Co2 are OK with them.

* BRT is Big Round Thing, the large building containing a nuclear reactor.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Clip

Post by Clip »

Very cool to meet someone else in the industry on here! I've currently got a TLD in northern Ohio but prefer my boilers to these crazy P's. It was really sad to see SONGS go before I had a chance to get out there and see it.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
grg

Post by grg »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Hehehe.
I also did once,but sadly I got nervous and traded it .
paladin

Post by paladin »

mattman wrote:Was it radioactivity that brought this thread back from the dead?
Yup...and Godzilla is being resurrected in the sea of Japan...AGAIN!!! :eek:
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Clip wrote:Very cool to meet someone else in the industry on here! I've currently got a TLD in northern Ohio but prefer my boilers to these crazy P's. It was really sad to see SONGS go before I had a chance to get out there and see it.
I hear you. It will take a long time to decommission the 'Dolly Parton memorial', you might get a chance to work there yet. It is a gorgeous location, built into the bluff above the shore of the Pacific Ocean. Fantastic sunsets and you often see San Nicolas or Catalina islands as you ascend the 155 steps to the parking area.

All-R-Crazy

Post by All-R-Crazy »

paladin wrote:Yup...and Godzilla is being resurrected in the sea of Japan...AGAIN!!! :eek:
U treat like a bad thing it just means the Tatanka gets some cutting tests in its future :D
:spyder: delica ffg,endura ffg,pm2 black/black,delica sb,caly3.5 g10,caly3 sb,S90V military:spyder:
JAfromMN wrote:My favorite Spyderco is the one that I used the most Today
Ned

Post by Ned »

Pinetreebbs wrote:I hear you. It will take a long time to decommission the 'Dolly Parton memorial', you might get a chance to work there yet. It is a gorgeous location, built into the bluff above the shore of the Pacific Ocean. Fantastic sunsets and you often see San Nicolas or Catalina islands as you ascend the 155 steps to the parking area.

"Dolly Parton memorial" Ha hah haahh, that is rich!
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Whats funny to me is that the same people that spend their time considering the relatively benign minutiae of iron alloys would be the ones to mock someone for their concern with health complications resulting in equally minute trace factors within said iron alloys.
Whats with the mob mentality bullying? Do we make fun of people who ask edgeucational questions? Its ok to play with knives but not ok to be concerned for the well being of our families?
I can see why politics aren't allowed on here.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The root of this thread, and many like it, was the concern in pocket knife safety while many in Japan were suffering from ground zero problems. Real radiation poisoning, economic collapse, flood and famine.

Once you get past the science of it, the lack of international concern (for many) is mind-blowing.

With the countless ways to ingest/absorb toxins I don't think mild radiation is a concern. GMO foods and air pollution for example have this trumped a 1,000 percent.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Cheddarnut wrote:Whats funny to me is that the same people that spend their time considering the relatively benign minutiae of iron alloys would be the ones to mock someone for their concern with health complications resulting in equally minute trace factors within said iron alloys.
Whats with the mob mentality bullying? Do we make fun of people who ask edgeucational questions? Its ok to play with knives but not ok to be concerned for the well being of our families?
I can see why politics aren't allowed on here.
It's hard to be serious when people insist on clinging to mythical beliefs about radiation. This thread has several well written and thoughtful replies explaining the lack of danger in knife steel made in Japan, just read them. This site is loaded with educational information to improve ones understanding of many subjects.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Telling people they have no reason to be afraid of something because there is a great deal of actual data saying they shouldn't be afraid is far from bullying.

Holding onto misinformed opinions while simultaneously disregarding data just for the purpose of having irrational fear should not be treated as a valid method - because it is not. It is dangerous to society. People who demand the right to stir up fear where there shouldn't be fear are what we should fear.

Someone once said "The only thing to fear is fear itself." He was talking about the exact mentality displayed in this thread with regards to radiation.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

"Mob mentality bullying" is exactly what brought this thread back from the depths it so richly deserved. It was bumped with an attempt at fear mongering, which is nothing more than an attempt to bully people. Bring me hard numbers on potential exposure levels and I'll decide for myself if they should concern me. Heck, I might even share some experience with you. But if you bring the sort of ignorant drivel found in the media and government, expect me to laugh in your face.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

DRKBC wrote:After my right testicle grew to the size of a coconut I started carrying my knife in my left pocket, now they are both the same size, phew ... crisis averted.
I laughed my *** off. Well played, Sir.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience