Favorite Locking Mechanism?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Favorite Lock

Frame Lock (R.I.L.)
13%
Liner Lock
11%
Ball Bearing Lock
9%
Compression Lock
40%
Axis Lock
3%
Button Lock
No votes
Back Lock (or Mid-Lock)
20%
None (Friction Folder, Slip-joint)
2%
Other (Bolt Action, HAWK, etc.)
2%

Total votes: 91

Strong-Dog

Favorite Locking Mechanism?

Post by Strong-Dog »

Which one do you prefer for your folders? Or do you prefer slip-joints?
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

As a Manix 2 fan, I prefer the ball bearing lock the most. :cool:
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
timlara

Post by timlara »

The Compression Lock is my favorite just because I just feel it has the best overall balance of all the attributes I care about: Strong, unlikely to disengage accidentally yet very easy and ergonomic to release on purpose, keeps your fingers away from the path of the blade when closing. The only real downside to it that I can see is that it's right-hand biased (though can be made in a left-handed version).

2nd place for me would be the Bolt Action lock as implemented on the Sage 3. It has the smoothest operation of any lock mechanism I've ever used, by far.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

CBBL is the clear winner for me.

I'd put the Compression Lock 2nd.

I can't wait for the Sage models with these 2.

I'm really not a fan of the liner lock, and haven't really warmed up to the RIL either, since ergonomically it operates more or less like a liner lock for me.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I like linerlocks because they are easy for me to use and I've been using them for a long time so they are second nature. Good access to the liner is key to making these easy to use.

I like the BBL for several reasons but mostly because it has a much different affect on the feel of the blade during opening. With a liner lock, frame lock, probably a compression lock, if you don't open the blade in a deliberate motion the lock might not lock up as well. With the BBL you can open the blade very slowly and when you get nearly open the lock will take over and engage fully.

In reality though I require a frame lock, liner lock, BBL, compression lock or axis lock. Otherwise I don't give any consideration to the lock type when I consider buying a knife.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

timlara wrote:2nd place for me would be the Bolt Action lock as implemented on the Sage 3. It has the smoothest operation of any lock mechanism I've ever used, by far.
I really like the Sage 3 too. Are there any other Spydies with the Bolt Action lock?
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Spydersense wrote:As a Manix 2 fan, I prefer the ball bearing lock the most. :cool:
Imagine a Manix 2 with an axis/arc lock though. For some reason the CBBL ends up with a lot more spring tension than the competition. I operate my Manix 2's CBBL with thumb and finger, my SOG Visionary (an awesome knife, even though it's not Spyderco) with just the thumb.

Frame locks for some reason are cool, even though they're just big liner locks. I think it's just a meatier bar to push on.
All God's critters have knives.
timlara

Post by timlara »

TomAiello wrote:I really like the Sage 3 too. Are there any other Spydies with the Bolt Action lock?
Not yet...which is why it really bums me out that the Sage 3 hasn't been more popular. I hope that doesn't stop Spyderco from making more bolt action models.
timlara

Post by timlara »

zhyla wrote:Imagine a Manix 2 with an axis/arc lock though. For some reason the CBBL ends up with a lot more spring tension than the competition. I operate my Manix 2's CBBL with thumb and finger, my SOG Visionary (an awesome knife, even though it's not Spyderco) with just the thumb.
If you like the axis lock, you should definitely handle a Sage 3 to check out Spyderco's implementation of the bolt action lock. It is VERY similar in how smooth and fluid it feels. You can flick the blade open or closed effortlessly.

Listening to myself here, maybe I should change my vote to the bolt action lock! :D
paladin

Post by paladin »

Mid lock for me because I am most used to EDCing it and I like that it helps with blade retention in closed position... :D

uncaged BBL is my favorite for gadget factor-- it's just plain cool :cool:

compression lock is my least favorite...it's probably the toughest, but I just dont like its placement :(
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Lockbacks for me. No question.

2nd is Comp. lock
3rd RIL
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Compression lock just works best for me.

But I like pretty much all of them.
:bug-red-white
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

On my Spydercos, the compression lock. Such as the one in my PM2 and SuperHawk.

My next favorite one is the liner lock on the Military, but only due to the huge opening (meant to be used with gloves) since I can easily work it as a lefty (my Mili is a standard, right hand model).
Wanted: Superhawk - Found!
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

I personally like the BBL. I also enjoy a good liner lock and a compression lock, and even a simple backlock. I don't really like framelocks though
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
LC Kid

Compression Lock > Integral Frame Lock > Back Lock

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

My All-Time Fav is the Compression Lock.
:spyder: Followed really close by the Integral Frame Lock. :cool: And the Back Lock comes in third place. :) My least preferred lock systems would be those where some gunk or debris could get inside, like the Ball Bearing Lock or the Axis Lock.
Stay Sharp!
All-R-Crazy

Post by All-R-Crazy »

It's was hard to pick a favorite because I love knifes no matter what
:spyder: delica ffg,endura ffg,pm2 black/black,delica sb,caly3.5 g10,caly3 sb,S90V military:spyder:
JAfromMN wrote:My favorite Spyderco is the one that I used the most Today
Holland

Post by Holland »

my favourite lock is the compression lock, but all my favourite knives are backlocks
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
SaintlyBrees

Post by SaintlyBrees »

I hate to say it on a Spyderco forum, but the Axis lock is my favorite. Amongst the many excellent locks that SPyderco has in their lineup, the back lock is my favorite followed closely by the ball bearing lock and then the compression lock. Every lock made by Spyderco is solid and works as it should - in my experience. I'm quite happy with all the locks on my Spydies.
My Spydies:
6 Manix 2 [blk/blk S30V, blk/blk XL, blue Sprint, blue LW, S110V LW, S90V CF XL]; 2 Delicas [VG10, Super Blue]; 4 Dragonflies [Tatoo, VG10, ZDP-189/Nishijin, Super Blue]; 4 Natives [S30V, Brn CTS-XHP, G10 S35N, Forum S110V]; 2 Chaparrals [Stepped Ti, CF]; 3 PM2s [blk/blk, blk/red Putnam, GRN CTS-204P sprint]; 1 CF bolt-action Sage; 1 Air; 1 Super Blue Manbug; 1 blk H1/blk frn Pacific Salt; 2 Stretch [Super Blue, ZDP-189]; 2 Enduras [VG10, blue jigged bone Damascus]
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

SaintlyBrees wrote:I hate to say it on a Spyderco forum, but the Axis lock is my favorite. Amongst the many excellent locks that SPyderco has in their lineup, the back lock is my favorite followed closely by the ball bearing lock and then the compression lock. Every lock made by Spyderco is solid and works as it should - in my experience. I'm quite happy with all the locks on my Spydies.
I don't actually think this kind of question proves much. There's an awful lot more to a knife than the lock. Blade type/grind, blade steel, handle shape, size of the handles and the blade, ergonomics. The lock is just one piece of the puzzle. :spyder: And yes, I have Axis lock knives that I think are the bee's knees. :)
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

JNewell wrote:I don't actually think this kind of question proves much. There's an awful lot more to a knife than the lock. Blade type/grind, blade steel, handle shape, size of the handles and the blade, ergonomics. The lock is just one piece of the puzzle. :spyder: And yes, I have Axis lock knives that I think are the bee's knees. :)
This question wasn't meant to prove anything, just find out which type of locking mechanism people prefer. I love the BBL, but my most used and carried knives are backlocks.

-Henry Hill