Springfield XD thoughts.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
RaiseTheBurr

Springfield XD thoughts.

Post by RaiseTheBurr »

It seems to fit my price range for a firearm. Not to keen on glocks. They are good quality but just dont feel right. I like the HK USP but too pricey. Anyone have an XD? What do you think of it?
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

I don't own one, but I had a range day where I shot a compact .40 model all day, probably around 400-500 rounds, a couple years ago. Wasn't too impressed. Not only do they feel like s*** in my hand, they're butt ugly. I don't like them in any circumstance. If I am going to jump into the pool of poly striker fired handguns, I'd go Glock, specifically because they're the basis that all other guns of that type based off of. But I don't like polymer guns, nor striker triggers, so... If it fits your hand, shoots well, is durable and reliable, go for it.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

I have a .40 S&W XD Subcompact. Great trigger, I can hit well the XD and the recoils isn't too bad. I have fired a Glock in .40 S&W, it was a little too wide and I did better with the XD trigger. In between the XD and the Glock was a .45 FN FNX. I suggest you find a range where you can rent the pistol you are interested in and similar pistols. Running some rounds through each one is a great way to a decision.

What caliber? Single stack or double stack magazine?
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Clip

Post by Clip »

I'm waiting on the .40 XD-S.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
remnar

Post by remnar »

I own both a gen-1 Glock model 23 (compact .40 S&W) and a subcompact XD (.40 S&W). Both have functioned flawlessly. Both are ugly. I can shoot the XD a little better than the Glock even with the shorter barrel on the XD, but the XD is snappier. I was going to replace my Glock with a newer one, but I don't like the feel of the grips on the newer Glocks. That is why I decided to try the XD. My XD has a smoother trigger than my Glock, but the newer Glocks probably have better triggers than the gen-1 models. I would take Pinetreebbs advice and try to shoot a few models to help you make your decision. At the very least handle them to get a feel for the grip and dry fire to get a feel for the trigger.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I personally like the M&P much more over the XD if you are not a Glock fan. I feel the M&P gives way more features and better value than almost any other polymer gun on the market currently.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Buy a Glock 9mm
Revival

Post by Revival »

xceptnl wrote:I personally like the M&P much more over the XD if you are not a Glock fan. I feel the M&P gives way more features and better value than almost any other polymer gun on the market currently.
I agree with this 100%. I have the M&P 9c and 40c and love them. Size wise, they are right in between a Glock 19/23 and Glock 26/27. So comfortable and so easy to shoot. The 9c is the smoothest 9mm I ever shot and even smoother than my 229 which is heavier. The only complaint people have about the M&P is the trigger but can be easily fixed with the APEX trigger kit. The stock trigger doesnt bother me though.

I have shot couple XD's in 9mm and owned the XDS-45 and it was ok. IMO the M&Ps are amazing for the money.

Like others have said, shoot as many different handguns as you can to see what works for you. Go to the range and rent, borrow from a friend etc. It might take some time before knowing which one fits you best but you will know immediatley the ones that DOESN'T.
JBE

Post by JBE »

xceptnl wrote:I personally like the M&P much more over the XD if you are not a Glock fan. I feel the M&P gives way more features and better value than almost any other polymer gun on the market currently.
This!!!!! If you're not going to get a Glock, go with an M&P.

Stupid grip safety on the XD is stupid.
Jason
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Revival wrote:Like others have said, shoot as many different handguns as you can to see what works for you. Go to the range and rent, borrow from a friend etc. It might take some time before knowing which one fits you best but you will know immediatley the ones that DOESN'T.
Exactly. I still have not purchased a fullsize polymer gun, but have 200+ rounds of 45ACP through a rented M&P45, G21SF, and the XD(M)45. I made my decision, just waiting to have the free funds available. Seem a knife always trumps the pistol when I have cash to spend.
*Landon*
G-Solutions

Post by G-Solutions »

I own Glock 19, 26 and the 4" and 5" XD's in 9mm - and I also shot the M&P9 a couple of times... as stated before, the best solution is the one that feels and works best for you. That said, here are my $0.02 worth.

My go-to gun is the Glock 19: it's the right combination of compactness, grip fit and handling - at least for me. One thing that I've come to really appreciate is the short trigger reset.
The XD's will fit my wife's smaller hands - the Glock is just too fat for that. The grip on the XD actually fits my hand a bit better than the Glock - but - the "Service Model" 4" has a pretty long grip and I can't conceal that gun as easily as I can conceal the Glock 19. Had Springfield followed up with Compact 9mm like they announced when the Compact 45 hit the market, I'd be carrying that. Compact here is the 4" barrel version with the shortened grip - awesome layout, pity they don't make it in 9.
The loaded chamber and cocking indicator are definite advantages, as is the ambi mag release. When I shoot the XD, I use my index finger to drop the mag. Trigger reset on this one is rather long compared with the Glock - one of the few negatives I found on that gun.

M&P: Fits my hand OK, feels slimmer than both XD and Glock.... but the factory trigger is the worst I've found on any of the stock guns that I went through. The reset is barely discernible. I had considered getting an M&P 9 until I tested one that had a couple of 100 rounds down the pipe and no reset point that I was able to identify. Yes, Apex makes a great aftermarket trigger, but if I spend roughly the same amount on the gun itself that I would spend on a Glock, I would like to get a decent trigger with the gun.

Reliability - neither my Glocks nor my XD's have ever let me down. I had one bad mag for the XD (probably dropped it and damaged the feed lips at one point), which caused FTF's. That went into the bin for my Kydex work and since then I've had no more problems.

One side-note on USP's - I still have the compact in .40 - outstanding and reliable gun. But I've come to appreciate the 9mm over its larger cousin, as well as the lower bore axis and the absence of a safety on the Glock (I carried the USPc cocked and locked). I'm considering trading the USPc .40 for a 9mm - I think that I'd really come to enjoy the HK platform again then

So, that's my take on things. YMMV
Uli Gebhard
www.gebhardsolutions.com

MBC Study Group Leader Southern CA

Even if you're on the right track - you get run over if you just sit there (Will Rogers)
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

This may not be what you're looking for, but I have a Ruger GP100 in .357 and it is a beast. Plus I have a preference towards revolvers, especially for a range gun.
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
G-Solutions

Post by G-Solutions »

^^^^This^^^^ is indeed a good gun - especially if you pair it with a .357 Lever Action such as the Marlin 1894c or the Rossi 92
Uli Gebhard
www.gebhardsolutions.com

MBC Study Group Leader Southern CA

Even if you're on the right track - you get run over if you just sit there (Will Rogers)
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

You should be able to get a Glock for under 600 because I was looking at some the other day for under that.I have a Glock 17,19 and 26 and couldn't imagine owning anything else either and I have owned most everything worth owning. Remember any other striker fired pistol other than a Glock is only a copy of a Glock made to look a little different. As for caliber I wouldn't have anything but 9mm they are so pleasant to shoot and 9mm is about half the cost of 40 & 45. No handgun is ever better than in the original caliber for which thathandgun was originally developed and no one has ever built a 40 caliber they all use existing 9mm platforms
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

There's a lot of good info and suggestions here. The only thing I will add is to make sure to look at Kahr's line of pistols. I picked up a CW9 .9mm (single stack) for $400 brand new a few years back and have been very pleased with its performance. I've run approximately 400-500 rounds through it without any significant jams or misfeeds. The CW9 is considered a compact model, but Kahr also makes a PM9 (smaller compact .9mm) and it's less expensive variation called the CM9. Kahr's do not have a manual safety (similar to Glocks), but they do have a silky-smooth long double-action trigger pull which acts as a safety of sorts. Kahr's are made here in the USA. Here's just a short exerpt taken directly from Kahr's website:

Unique Design

"Six U.S. Patents cover Kahr's unique locking, firing, and extraction systems. The incomparable cocking cam trigger system employs a cam to both unlock the passive safety and finish cocking and releasing the firing pin. The system provides a "safe" and unbelievably smooth double action only trigger stroke, fast to fire in critical defensive situations.

Kahr's patented "offset barrel" design places the trigger mechanism beside the barrel lug, raising the shooter's hand close to the center line of the bore. This, with the ergonomically designed grips, results in a remarkable degree of shooting comfort and control with reduced muzzle flip and felt recoil.

A patented self-cleaning extractor, specially designed so that powder residue is forced away from the extractor, assures that the extractor will continue to function, shot after shot. Furthermore, the extractor is designed so that it employs the slide itself to limit its movement so that failures to extract are nearly impossible.

These innovations, found only in the Kahr pistol, give the Kahr shooter an advantage in critical self-defensive situations. The Kahr design and its quality manufacturing provide unmatched value in a compact handgun, especially important when your life depends on it.

Kahr quality, unmatched at any price."

Here's the link if you're interested:
http://www.kahr.com/kahr-unique-design.asp
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Michael is completely right about Kahr. I chose them as my CCW years ago. I have smaller hands and prefer a more slim grip for my pistols so when I held my first Kahr I was hooked. I purchased the CW45 and could not have been more pleased. I think the only thing that limits Kahr is their lack of double-stack firearms to compete with the other powerhouses controlling the polymer striker pistol market. I am not saying they should deviate from their MO, because slim is what they advocate and it works for them. I was really interested in the new CT45, with it's 4" barrel and fullsize grip yet I would prefer more capacity for a gun of these dimensions.
*Landon*
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Shoot everything you can find at the range to shoot. Try the USPc, P30 & P2000 from HK. Don't let the price keep you from buying a weapon you can shoot & carry well. When all is said & done, the initial cost of a weapon isn't just the price. What good is it if you can't shoot it well? If you have to save for another month or two, so what?
RaiseTheBurr

Post by RaiseTheBurr »

Awesome info. Looking at .40cal. Nice balance between mag cap and stopping power. M and P might be the go to. Gonna try one this weekend. Ill look into kahr also. Gotta find something she can handle well so,maybe 9mm. Lots of heroine busts for a small town, and long hours away leave me uneasy.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

RaiseTheBurr wrote:Awesome info. Looking at .40cal. Nice balance between mag cap and stopping power. M and P might be the go to. Gonna try one this weekend. Ill look into kahr also. Gotta find something she can handle well so,maybe 9mm. Lots of heroine busts for a small town, and long hours away leave me uneasy.
I hear the M&P shield is practically built for the lady friend.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

I know this isn't a popular solution, but look at the Ruger SR 22. It is 10 shots, light, easy to shoot, very accurate and cheap to practice with. With some mini-mag ammunition it will surprise you on penetration. The biggest round in the world won't work if shot placement is bad. A 22 will stop most things if a single well placed shot is used properly. Just my $.02 worth...