Sage 3=WOW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
timlara

Post by timlara »

gull wing wrote:How is the lock disengagement? My old blue one IS hard to grasp and unlock.
IMO, I wouldn't say my blue one is hard to unlock by any means as it doesn't take much force to pull the lock back, but for sure the "thumbstud" on the lock release isn't super comfortable and doesn't offer the best grip. I think it would be an improvement if it were more like the plastic cage on the Manix or P'Kal ball lock, but for me, it's a pretty minor nitpick. I'd equate it to the difference between a Spyderhole for opening a blade and a thumbstud. They both work just fine, but of course the Spyderhole is easier.

I'm not sure about the design philosophy behind the Sage 3's "thumbstud" (actually, I'd love if Sal would chime in!), but my best guesses are that either it was done that way to visually differentiate it from the caged ball bearing lock, or maybe because it was modeled after a particular version of Blackie Collins' design. Interestingly, the lock release on the Gerber bolt action version that I've seen actually looks quite similar to the shape/texture of the caged ball bearing lock, as shown in this video:

https://youtu.be/Rco7ohTbW10
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Glad to see they improved the lock action.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Lowcald

Post by Lowcald »

I have a question. I recently bought a PM2 after a tough debate between the PM2, Sage 3 CF and the Caly 3.5. The only thing I don't like about the PM2 is it is a bit bulky in the pocket. I keep it in the same pocket as my wallet and it becomes an issue when pulling my wallet out. How does the Sage 3 CF compare to the PM2 in the pocket? Does it help or hurt that it rides lower (I'm assuming it does)?
Delica 4 x2 (lost one), Endura 4 (lost), Tasman Salt, Tenacious, Byrd Cara Cara 2 G-10, Byrd Hawkbill, Lil Matriarch, PM2 (black on black)
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

Lowcald wrote:I have a question. I recently bought a PM2 after a tough debate between the PM2, Sage 3 CF and the Caly 3.5. The only thing I don't like about the PM2 is it is a bit bulky in the pocket. I keep it in the same pocket as my wallet and it becomes an issue when pulling my wallet out. How does the Sage 3 CF compare to the PM2 in the pocket? Does it help or hurt that it rides lower (I'm assuming it does)?

Well i dont keep my knives in the same pocket as my wallet. I keep mine in my front right pocket and it fits nicely. While my wallet is in my back pocket. Its deffinately not as bulky in the pocket as my pm2 and is also a little lighter. But like i said when im carrying my knives i dont keep anything in the same pocket as my knife. Because i dont want things rubbing against it and damaging it or preventing out of pocket deployment.
My :spyder:'s
Pm2(1), salt 1, dragonfly 2 salt(2), dragonfly 2(1), delica 4(2), tenacious(2), persistence(2), kiwi 3(2), grasshopper, honeybee, bug, native 5 g10, manbug, ladybug, sage 3, southard(turned mini) kiwi 4 g10, manix 2 LW s110v

:spyder:Kyle:spyder:
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

sal wrote:Thanx for the kind words, Kylems. Glad you like it.

The "Bolt Action" was invented by the late Blackie Collins. Certainly one of the most innovative designer/inventors, if not the best, in our industry. The lock was made by Gerber in production for many years. Way ahead of its time when invented.

sal

Modesty becomes you, Sal. :)
brian
http://www.countryknives.com

Being vigilant in the world of sharp one edge at a time.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Thank you all for a great discussion of a very underrated knife.

To answer your question about the handle material, it is "Cubic check carbon fiber/G-10 laminate." The top layer is carbon fiber with a geometric "cubic check" texture pattern. That is bonded to a base layer of G-10. In my opinion, it's a great balance of aesthetics and functional texture.

The "thumb stud" release is actually a significant improvement over the early production of the Bolt Action Lock. The old Gerber versions were great knives, but had a large release button on the obverse side of the handle, which made them a bit clunky and right-hand biased. The Spyderco version is not only ambidextrous, but the design of the buttons keeps dirt from getting into the mechanism.

I think highly enough of the Sage3 that I included it in a new product roundup I did at the SHOT Show. The Sage3 appears at about 2:20.

[video=youtube;qbDCRRK84A0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbDCRRK84A0[/video]

Thanks again for recognizing a very cool, often overlooked knife with some great history behind it.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
timlara

Post by timlara »

Thanks, Mike! I have never handled one of the old Gerber models, so I missed the fact that the earlier bolt action locks were right-hand biased. I guess I must also be right-hand biased...

p.s. -- The knife manipulation tricks at the end of your video just gave me serial heart attacks!! :eek:
texashawk50

Post by texashawk50 »

Is the blue sage 3 a collectable now?
timlara

Post by timlara »

texashawk50 wrote:Is the blue sage 3 a collectable now?
Well, it is discontinued as far as I know (i.e. it is not in the current catalog), but I've still seen them at dealers recently, so it's not terribly hard to find. Now is actually a good time to buy one since they're not fetching crazy aftermarket prices yet.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've been really wanting the blue version, been looking everywhere for a cheap price and coming up short. I've only handled that lock one time but I really really liked it, I would love to see it on more models.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Thanks for the video review and good riddance to that ugly-a** blue version :) .
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
remnar

Post by remnar »

timlara wrote:IMO, I wouldn't say my blue one is hard to unlock by any means as it doesn't take much force to pull the lock back, but for sure the "thumbstud" on the lock release isn't super comfortable and doesn't offer the best grip. I think it would be an improvement if it were more like the plastic cage on the Manix or P'Kal ball lock, but for me, it's a pretty minor nitpick. I'd equate it to the difference between a Spyderhole for opening a blade and a thumbstud. They both work just fine, but of course the Spyderhole is easier.

I'm not sure about the design philosophy behind the Sage 3's "thumbstud" (actually, I'd love if Sal would chime in!), but my best guesses are that either it was done that way to visually differentiate it from the caged ball bearing lock, or maybe because it was modeled after a particular version of Blackie Collins' design. Interestingly, the lock release on the Gerber bolt action version that I've seen actually looks quite similar to the shape/texture of the caged ball bearing lock, as shown in this video:

https://youtu.be/Rco7ohTbW10
I find the lock on the Sage 3 easier to manipulate than the lock on the Manix. For me, the Manix lock feels very stiff and the buttons are too flat to get a good grip on. The studs on the Sage are easier for me to grip, and the fact that they are more pronounced makes them easier to find without looking at the knife.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I just sort of zombie ordered the blue one. I couldn't make up my mind on whether or not to get one before they were gone, but my fingers sure knew what to do. Can't really go wrong with this one, so I don't really mind. I needed a blue knife. Still, maybe I should get my card number changed to something I don't have memorized...
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

PayneTrain wrote:I just sort of zombie ordered the blue one. I couldn't make up my mind on whether or not to get one before they were gone, but my fingers sure knew what to do. Can't really go wrong with this one, so I don't really mind. I needed a blue knife. Still, maybe I should get my card number changed to something I don't have memorized...
haha, me too -- it might prevent some late night impulse orders while lying in bed with netbook or tablet... but that wouldn't work long either, I'd soon put the new one in chrome autofill :o
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Evil D wrote:I've been really wanting the blue version, been looking everywhere for a cheap price and coming up short. I've only handled that lock one time but I really really liked it, I would love to see it on more models.
I'm in the same boat. It seems they should have threatened to discontinue them earlier, because they've all pretty much disappeared.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN