good flashlght?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Kylems11

good flashlght?

Post by Kylems11 »

not into flashlights like alot of people are, but i am looking for a small flashlight thats durable and maybe has an option for dimming the light. i dont know anything about flashlights but want to buy a good brand something that will last but not to expensive, important for it to be very small. any good suggestions out there? thanks
My :spyder:'s
Pm2(1), salt 1, dragonfly 2 salt(2), dragonfly 2(1), delica 4(2), tenacious(2), persistence(2), kiwi 3(2), grasshopper, honeybee, bug, native 5 g10, manbug, ladybug, sage 3, southard(turned mini) kiwi 4 g10, manix 2 LW s110v

:spyder:Kyle:spyder:
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Mr Kylems11!

So you're looking for some durable, dimming capable, that will last, not to expensive and very small light.
:rolleyes:

I'd recommend you two models:

- Fenix LD01: 72 lumens, 3 light modes, 1 AAA battery, $ 30.

- Fenix E11: 105 lumens, 2 brightness levels, 1 AA battery, $ 32.

There are like a million different brands/models/brightness/sizes, but if you just want a good reliable small light, then you can't go wrong with Fenix.
:)
Stay Sharp!
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

LC Kid wrote:Hi Mr Kylems11!

So you're looking for some durable, dimming capable, that will last, not to expensive and very small light.
:rolleyes:

I'd recommend you two models:

- Fenix LD01: 72 lumens, 3 light modes, 1 AAA battery, $ 30.

- Fenix E11: 105 lumens, 2 brightness levels, 1 AA battery, $ 32.

There are like a million different brands/models/brightness/sizes, but if you just want a good reliable small light, then you can't go wrong with Fenix.
:)

Thanks ill check those out right now
Pm2(1), salt 1, dragonfly 2 salt(2), dragonfly 2(1), delica 4(2), tenacious(2), persistence(2), kiwi 3(2), grasshopper, honeybee, bug, native 5 g10, manbug, ladybug, sage 3, southard(turned mini) kiwi 4 g10, manix 2 LW s110v

Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

I, like you, am also not into flashlights. But about a year back I needed a decent one, and I got a Fenix E21. I don't have anything to compare it to, but I can attest to Fenix's quality and I really do like the light.
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I have 3 different Fenix lights and I like them very much. One of mine is the LD01 and it is very easy to EDC because it is barely bigger than the AAA battery that powers it. I carry a Fenix PD32 in my briefcase. It is average size for a light that uses 2 CR123 batteries, and has very good output. My newest is a Fenix PD32, using a single CR123 battery. It is easy to EDC unless I carry a lot of stuff in my pocket.

For a casual light user, Mag has several lights that are good. I have a mini-mag LED that uses 2 AA batteries. I don't think it is the standard LED model because it has good output but also has several different intensity modes. I have bought their XL50 and XL100 models for gifts and they are good for casual users because they use AAA batteries.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Imo, having a low mode is very important. Not only does it stretch your battery life but makes some things less obnoxious (like reading I'm bed). My favorite type for pocket carry is AAA simply because you forget it's there. For the money it's extremely difficult to beat the Olight i3s, at least among name brands. It's $25 on goinggear and comes with a sweet little clip, keychain fastener and gift case.

There are lights out there with lower lows but the ceiling on an AAA is about 80 lumens. Going lithium power or AA you can push the output envelope further but frankly that's a ton of light in a dark room or even yard. My eyes when adjusted think 1 lumen is too much. :)

I would steer clear of alkalines though. They tend to leak, have intolerant temperature ranges, and don't appreciate high draw (current) use. An Energizer Ultimate Lithium (aka LiFeS2 or L92) has a shelf life of 15 years, won't leak, and should give you at least twice the runtime on high.

If you want one of the toughest AAA's on the market and American made (very rare for lights) a Peak Eiger is about $60 in alum. You can get those from RMSK. Ordering is a bit confusing though due to a ton of options...PM me if you have questions and like the look of them.
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Olight S10 is also a good choice. Small, magnetic base, single cell CR123 battery, good clip for your hat, belt, whatever. $50, but worth it in my opinion, but it might be more than you're willing to spend. Very well made, 3 light modes.
Invective

Post by Invective »

I carry a FourSevens Atom AO on my keychain, and honestly half the time I forget it's even there. Runs on a AAA and is smaller than my Clipitool which is nice. Got it for $20 on BHQ although it looks like they're sold out now, but I'm sure it's available from other places.

EDIT: Oh I forgot to mention that it has two modes, dim and bright as well which you mentioned you wanted.
JBE

Post by JBE »

While I'm no flashlight expert by an stretch of the imagination, I have no problem recommending the Olight S15. A co-worker of mine recommended this same light to me several months ago and I have no regrets about buying it. It is compact, has multiple light levels, a pocket clip and runs off of AA batteries. They usually run somewhere between $40-50 online but I found mine for $35 shipped.
Jason
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

noseoil wrote:Olight S10 is also a good choice. Small, magnetic base, single cell CR123 battery, good clip for your hat, belt, whatever. $50, but worth it in my opinion, but it might be more than you're willing to spend. Very well made, 3 light modes.
I like that olight s10 wasnt looking to spend $50 but i might have to.

Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

Im trying to decide on the olight s10 or the s15. How big are these lights? In length

JBE

Post by JBE »

Kylems11 wrote:Im trying to decide on the olight s10 or the s15. How big are these lights? In length
S10 is 2.75" and the S15 is 3.4".

The S15's body is a bit narrower though. I don't know about the S10, but you can buy an extension for the S15 that can make it a 2xAA light for even longer run times.
Jason
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Kylems11 wrote:I like that olight s10 wasnt looking to spend $50 but i might have to.
Buying expensive flashlights can be as bad as buying expensive knives, you better just buy a mag xl50 for about $25 and call it good. And the worst part about buying expensive flashlights is that they don't hold their value very long. Next year somebody brings out a better model and nobody wants yours anymore. Imagine buying a Manix 2 in 154 and then finding nobody will pay more than $20 for it because they all want S30V now.
knolan

Post by knolan »

I have more small AA/14500, CR123/16340 lights than I can count over a period of years and my current favorites are the...

1) Zebralight SC52w *available in cool or neutral/warm tints, and just updated w/XM-L2 emitters AA or 14500 Li-ion powered
2) Jetbeam RRT-01 Rotary magnetic ring light (variable like a dmmer switch in your house) CR123 or 16340 Li-ion powered
3) Sunwayman V11R Also mag ring and can use CR123 or 16340's or AA w/adapter
4) 4Sevens Mini Available in XPG2 or XM-L emitters *smallest production CR123 light currently available and around $35 to $45

...1st three in the $60 to $80 range approximately.

If your budget is tight my absolute favorite budget light without even a close second is the L3 Illumination L10...a AA twisty switch light available in a choice of colors, 3 or 4 mode versions, and most important available in XPG2 or the flashaholic's favorite Hi CRI tint, the coveted Nichia 219 with accurate color rendering. All for around $22 to $28 roughly depending on configuration.

EDIT: If your budget is even lower and you're not particular about tint...Check out the dealers, "Shiningbeam", and "Lighthound" in the US, online...they have a line-up of good hand picked, small, budget, China made lights.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

knolan wrote: 2) Jetbeam RRT-01 Rotary magnetic ring light (variable like a dmmer switch in your house) CR123 or 16340 Li-ion powered
3) Sunwayman V11R Also mag ring and can use CR123 or 16340's or AA w/adapter
I have the RRT01 and love the interface. The mag ring is 10000x better for EDC use than a standard twisty. I've also got the Sunwayman M11R (similar to V11R but no clicky and 3 mode ring versus continuous) in both cool white and neutral white tints that I like a lot. V11R in neutral is inbound. ;)
knolan wrote:If your budget is tight my absolute favorite budget light without even a close second is the L3 Illumination L10...a AA twisty switch light available in a choice of colors, 3 or 4 mode versions, and most important available in XPG2 or the flashaholic's favorite Hi CRI tint, the coveted Nichia 219 with accurate color rendering.
L3L10 is a terrific value light. The beam quality is better than a lot of way more expensive lights. I'm a huge Nichia 219 fan and this is easily the lowest entry point to that LED. Quality of the flashlight itself may not be quite up to that of Fenix et al but the quality of the light certainly is.

Also throw Maratac rev 3 into the mix. A terrific very small, very bright little AAA light.

Ken
玉鋼
knolan

Post by knolan »

kbuzbee wrote:V11R in neutral is inbound...Also throw Maratac rev 3 into the mix. A terrific very small, very bright little AAA light.
+1 on Maratac's newest rev lights Ken (both AA and AAA). Always a good value and robust build quality. Where did you manage to snag a neutral copy of the V11R...a mod? Thought the limited run of those had dried up?

I forgot to add there is also a fairly new L3 light, the L08, a AAA version L10 with the same size AA head...also avail w/Nichia's 92CRI LED.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

knolan wrote:+1 on Maratac's newest rev lights Ken (both AA and AAA). Always a good value and robust build quality. Where did you manage to snag a neutral copy of the V11R...a mod? Thought the limited run of those had dried up?
Yeah, a mod, via Vinh (CPF) I was too late to the party for a limited run stock one...

Ken
玉鋼
Revival

Post by Revival »

Kylems11 wrote:I like that olight s10 wasnt looking to spend $50 but i might have to.
Where will you be carrying this light? Pocket, bag, just laying around the house? Reason I ask is a few people have reported that the light would be accidently turned on (with the side button) while carrying it in their pocket even with the lockout feature.

I think a few questions to ask yourself are:

- What is your price range?
- What would be your prefrence as far as turning the light on and off? Twisty? Clicky?
- Do you have a prefrence in batteries?
- Do you have a specific size you are looking for?

This is a thread I started last month when I was looking for some new lights. Pictures of the lights I got towards the end of the thread. Keep in mind, all the lights I bought are AA lights for pocket carry.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... lashlights
Nate

Post by Nate »

For a small 1xAA, I really like the XENO e03. They come in 3 colors, 3 different tints, and have multiple modes. Now 6 iirc, 3 standard and 3 hidden. One of mine has the Nichia emitter. Glow ring in the bezel and glow clicky are a bonus for me. They also sell a diffuser cap that is quite useful to light up a room or tent.

Gripes are that they don't come with a clip, but I found that Fenix clips fit perfectly. Can't remember which one of the top of my head.
Also wish they either had mode memory or started on low, but they do come on at medium, which isn't bad.
:spyder:
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

knolan wrote:+1 on Maratac's newest rev lights Ken (both AA and AAA). Always a good value and robust build quality. Where did you manage to snag a neutral copy of the V11R...a mod? Thought the limited run of those had dried up?

I forgot to add there is also a fairly new L3 light, the L08, a AAA version L10 with the same size AA head...also avail w/Nichia's 92CRI LED.
Batteryjunction have neutrals in stock:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/sunwayma ... utral.html