Your thoughts on the Superleaf...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

LC Kid wrote:Hi Folks!

The SuperLeaf fell in the field where the ergos & portability had two kings already: the Manix and the Para2.

Not really easy to deal with such successful models...
:rolleyes:
That puts it quite well. The Superleaf was a fine knife but it had a lot of strong competition from some of Spyderco's other offerings.
Holland

Post by Holland »

mikerestivo wrote:That puts it quite well. The Superleaf was a fine knife but it had a lot of strong competition from some of Spyderco's other offerings.
I agree, plus the blade steels made me favour the other offerings more
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I like it. It's the perfect ESEE folder IMHO. ;)

razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

To sum up the superleaf in 2 words-

Way underrated
MatthewSB

Post by MatthewSB »

I enjoyed my Superleaf, until I got my Para2 which is better in every possible way.

I could not get over the hook at the end of the handle, it dug both into my hand and into my pocket.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

razorsharp wrote:To sum up the superleaf in 2 words-

Way underrated
I agree with Travis. To me I find the blade to handle ratio similar to Strider's offerings with better ergonomics. I don't find it to be lacking in blade length when compared to the Para 2. Think of it as a Manix 2 and Para 2 lovechild in an awesome Japanese steel. I have 2 Superleafs and don't ever plan to get rid of either.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I absolutely love mine, enough that I bought a spare when they went on the discontinued list. Blade to handle ratio works great for me, I get a very secure grip and the blade cuts well enough. I like the choil on it.

I do also love the Manix2 and XL series, but that doesn't diminish my love for the SuperLeaf. Mine came with a perfect grind, works really well for whittling etc., and the VG10 is easy enough to touch up the edge on. Even though it is large in the pocket, it's surprisingly light.

Even though I have a bunch of PM2's in different sprint run/exclusive combo's, for some reason I carry a full Military more often than a PM2. The SuperLeaf's point is not so narrow as the Millie and PM2, so more sturdy but not as good at piercing/puncturing things.

I like 'em all, need more pockets :) .
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

I love the Superleaf... it flew under the radar. I'm glad I picked up a couple while I still could at a decent price.

Here is another size comparison with a Para2. Not longer, but definitely a little wider.

twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

IF a sprint SL was ever done, PLEASE PLEASE fins a way to make it in Golden with Cruwear
NinjaRyder0920

Post by NinjaRyder0920 »

razorsharp wrote:To sum up the superleaf in 2 words-

Way underrated
^ this exactly ^

I'd never actually heard of the superleaf until they were discounted heavily last year when I decided to pick one up. Love it! Unfortunately had to sell that one for some funds, but I luckily was able to pick one up the other day! 80)
araneae

Post by araneae »

twinboysdad wrote:IF a sprint SL was ever done, PLEASE PLEASE fins a way to make it in Golden with Cruwear
Knives tend to stay with their maker. Its not likely a sprint would happen out of golden. And seeing as how the knife was pretty recently disco'd any sprint is highly unlikely.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

My project for this upcoming weekend is to grind that "whale tail" or "horn" off of the butt of the SuperLeaf's handle. That thing has been bugging me for ages. I really love the knife, and when I used it recently for an all-day down-and-dirty Boy Scout mulch delivery weekend (6239 bags delivered over 2 days) - that horn snagged on my pants and gloves way too many times. There is ample room to grind the butt to a nice round shape without any danger of exposing the tip of the knife in closed position.

I'm no good at photoshop, but I'll take some pictures of the results after I'm finished.

TedP
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

phillipsted wrote:My project for this upcoming weekend is to grind that "whale tail" or "horn" off of the butt of the SuperLeaf's handle. That thing has been bugging me for ages. I really love the knife, and when I used it recently for an all-day down-and-dirty Boy Scout mulch delivery weekend (6239 bags delivered over 2 days) - that horn snagged on my pants and gloves way too many times. There is ample room to grind the butt to a nice round shape without any danger of exposing the tip of the knife in closed position.

I'm no good at photoshop, but I'll take some pictures of the results after I'm finished.

TedP
I look forward to seeing your results Ted
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

phillipsted wrote:My project for this upcoming weekend is to grind that "whale tail" or "horn" off of the butt of the SuperLeaf's handle. That thing has been bugging me for ages. I really love the knife, and when I used it recently for an all-day down-and-dirty Boy Scout mulch delivery weekend (6239 bags delivered over 2 days) - that horn snagged on my pants and gloves way too many times. There is ample room to grind the butt to a nice round shape without any danger of exposing the tip of the knife in closed position.

TedP
I really like that hook because it locks your hand in place... the knife will not slip while cutting (especially handy when the handle is on the Superhawk, since you tend to pull more with a hawkbill.) I can see where a little might be taken off, though. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
remnar

Post by remnar »

TedP
I'd love to see the result.