Am I a traitor if I buy an Edge Pro Apex 4?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
btron

Am I a traitor if I buy an Edge Pro Apex 4?

Post by btron »

The Edge Pro looks awesome so I'm thinking of investing in one. I would still use the SM for "on-the-go" sharpening like at work or hiking or something. Or if I'm just too lazy to set up the EP haha. I think I would just feel like a traitor if I ended up getting one. I don't even feel right if I carry a Benchmade for a day :p

Pretty much, is the EP worth it even if I do feel like a traitor? :o
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Id rather buy some shapton glass or shapton pro stones ;)
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

****, if I had the money I'd buy one and not feel guilty.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

I wouldn't think so I have been eyeing that up. Now convincing the lady I need one and what it's for is a whole other deal. lol
bh49

Post by bh49 »

btron wrote: Pretty much, is the EP worth it even if I do feel like a traitor? :o
I cannot tell you about EP, but last summer I bought WE Field & Sport and feel great about it. Made my life much easier, when I need to reprofile or repair. Still using sharpmaker between reprofiling.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

It would make alot of people traitors then because I know alot of Spyderco fans own different brand sharpeners. And with the same logic, if you own any non Spydie knife... Well you get the idea.

Other sharpeners offer different capabilities so I own several different rigs. . Sharpmaker and EP are key cogs in my system.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

There is no such thing as being a traitor for using different brands, I have different brands of knives and different sharpeners, but I do prefer Spyderco knives over others as far as sharpeners it all depends what I am doing and what I am sharpening. SO the answer is No you should not feel like a traitor.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Donut

Post by Donut »

I figure if Spyderco, or any other company, doesn't make a product to compete with it, then it's fair game.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

I use the EP to reprofile and the SM 30 degree side for touching up the micro bevel.

Gordon
nccole

Post by nccole »

I will probably be getting one next month. I don't feel like a traitor at all. They will do two different things in my setup. I will be using the EP to re-profile and repair damage, but the SM will be used for micro beveling and touch-ups. The EP will be replacing a GATCO guided rod system that has served its purposes, but has some downfalls. Now if Spyderco came out with a different setup to do some serious re-profiling, I would consider that more heavily because of brand loyalty, but Spyderco doesn't have anything that competes with the EP in my opinion.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

There are a lot of folks around here, myself included, that use an EP or WE in conjunction with the sharpmaker. I use the Edge Pro to reprofile my edges and used the Sharpmaker for touch ups to keep them sharp.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Buy the cheapest Edge Pro you can and then buy your choice of other stones that are compatible.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Therealtwitch

Post by Therealtwitch »

I bought my edge pro before I bought any of my spydercos. I love the edge pro. It is super easy to learn to use and gives wonderful results. For the money I personally think it's the best system out. Mine payed for itself. Once people at work found out the edge I could produce everyone wanted a knife sharpened. And I don't feel at all guilty about making my spydies super sharp on it!
bakergh

Post by bakergh »

I've been looking at the Edge Pro for a while now mainly because the SM doesn't work very well for re-profiling edges. I still don't have anything that can take a really dull edge back up to razor sharp. That said I think as others have suggested that the SM would still come in handy for touch ups after you do the heavier work on the SM. I haven't ordered one quiet yet but plan to after my wife forgets about my last $200 purchase.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

[quote="bakergh"] after my wife forgets about my last $200 purchase [/quote]

Not exactly the easiest part, at least with my wife[/font]
:D
Stay Sharp!
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Edge Pro for reprofileing, Sharpmaker for maintaining.
On a new knife(or one that is quite dull) the EP makes reprofileing much less a chore.
On many knives I have only used the EP only once.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bakergh wrote:I've been looking at the Edge Pro for a while now mainly because the SM doesn't work very well for re-profiling edges. I still don't have anything that can take a really dull edge back up to razor sharp. That said I think as others have suggested that the SM would still come in handy for touch ups after you do the heavier work on the SM. I haven't ordered one quiet yet but plan to after my wife forgets about my last $200 purchase.
Sure you do, your Sharpmaker will, especially if you have the diamond rods, it may just take a lot more time. Look at it like this, that time spent reprofiling will go a long way to building muscle memory and you'll be really proficient at using the SM after reprofiling a few knives.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Clip

Post by Clip »

I own the EP 4 w/ Choseras, set of 5 DMT 8x3 diamond plates + 8x3 UF, and recently the Sharpmaker. If I were to sell them all and start over, I'd get a set of the Shapton Glass. Second choice would be bare-bones EP with set of Shapton or Choseras. I find that free handing gets me results quicker than the setup time of the EP, more control over my bevels and its a lot easier to not round the tips. The hard part is the freehand learning curve. I don't get perfectly flat, mirrored, symmetrical edges but I can turn a dull knife sharp again and restore or maintain a very fine tip.

Playing around with the Sharpmaker, and its a great tool to touch up an existing edge on the road. However, reproducing was taking way too long with the M rodsso I wrapped 220 grit wet/dry paper around them and they worked some better, but ended up using a small 1x4 coarse diamond stone to set the initial bevels.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Many of us use EP to reprofile, myself included. It's a great system. EP + Sharpmaker is great for final bevels.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
btron

Post by btron »

Hey guys, thanks for the replies! I'm actually looking to get into freehand sharpening. Not sure if I want to spend the money on Shapton or Chosera stones yet, but I was looking at the Naniwa Super Stones.