Sage 3=WOW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kylems11

Sage 3=WOW

Post by Kylems11 »

Been like 3 days now since i got my sage 3 carbon fiber. And i have to say im very impressed. By far the smoothest locking system ive ever used. Blade is the perfect size comes ridiculously sharp, i think it comes sharper than any soyderco ive bought. The carbon fiber scales arent as bad as i thought they would be. Although i would rather have black g10. Solid lock up every direction and thats with the lock still being super smooth. Just releasing the bolt action lock and the blade just falls right down with abosolutely no movement of the wrist. The sage 3 just moved into one of my top favorite spydercos. I feel like it is not really mentioned though. Or doesnt get as much credit as it should. If you dont have one i would go get one asap. Awsome knife
My :spyder:'s
Pm2(1), salt 1, dragonfly 2 salt(2), dragonfly 2(1), delica 4(2), tenacious(2), persistence(2), kiwi 3(2), grasshopper, honeybee, bug, native 5 g10, manbug, ladybug, sage 3, southard(turned mini) kiwi 4 g10, manix 2 LW s110v

:spyder:Kyle:spyder:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Glad you like it. The fit and finish is superb and it is smooth as glass. I carry mine often.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Is it the same CF that's used on the Sage-1 and Chaparral?
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

this_is_nascar wrote:Is it the same CF that's used on the Sage-1 and Chaparral?
Actually, I believe it's the same CF laminate that is on the Domino.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
FDE

Post by FDE »

Definitely the most underrated Spyderco in my opinion. I have a smurf g10 sage 3 that I carry every week day and the carbon fiber version that I have as a pre-need replacement. Both were absolutely perfect fit and finish. ZERO blade play, ultra smooth action, and perfectly centered blades. I prefer the g10 feel over the CF but the later has a very cool 3d look to it. I'll say I used to be a big fan of the axis lock but after finding the sage 3 I say, bench-who? Superior in ever way I feel.
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

Yea the mini griptilian i have the axis lock was probably the smoothest lock ive used before i got the sage 3. The bolt action lock is awsome. I would rather have g10 but i only buy black colored handles. But the cf is pretty good on the sage 3. I agree most one of the most underrated spydercos.
Pm2(1), salt 1, dragonfly 2 salt(2), dragonfly 2(1), delica 4(2), tenacious(2), persistence(2), kiwi 3(2), grasshopper, honeybee, bug, native 5 g10, manbug, ladybug, sage 3, southard(turned mini) kiwi 4 g10, manix 2 LW s110v

timlara

Post by timlara »

Yep, I have said the same thing about the Sage 3 many times as well. The only explanation I can think of is that most people were so put off by the "Smurf Blue" G10 on the original that they just skipped the knife on looks alone and didn't bother to handle it, because I can't imagine too many people would NOT be impressed by the fit & finish, ergos, and smooooooth action of the lock. The Bolt Action lock does make the knife a tiny bit thicker than some other locks, but I don't really even notice the difference in pocket and I think it just makes the Sage 3 feel that much more solid in hand.

I own the "Smurf Blue" original and actually like the color a lot, but if I ever lose mine, I will buy another one in whatever color they're making without hesitation! Anybody who hasn't played with a Sage 3 should definitely check it out.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

ASmitty wrote:Actually, I believe it's the same CF laminate that is on the Domino.
Thanks. I'm unfamiliar with the Domino. Does anyone know if the Domino and Sage-1 CF is the same?
timlara wrote:Yep, I have said the same thing about the Sage 3 many times as well. The only explanation I can think of is that most people were so put off by the "Smurf Blue" G10 on the original that they just skipped the knife on looks alone and didn't bother to handle it, because I can't imagine too many people would NOT be impressed by the fit & finish, ergos, and smooooooth action of the lock. The Bolt Action lock does make the knife a tiny bit thicker than some other locks, but I don't really even notice the difference in pocket and I think it just makes the Sage 3 feel that much more solid in hand.

I own the "Smurf Blue" original and actually like the color a lot, but if I ever lose mine, I will buy another one in whatever color they're making without hesitation! Anybody who hasn't played with a Sage 3 should definitely check it out.
Yep, that would be me. Could never get passed how ugly it looked, to me. Now that a CF version is available, I may have to take a look at it.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

I believe the domino and sage 3 have same carbon fiber. The sage 1 is different from both

LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

AFAIK, every single CF model that came out from Taichung is textured.
:cool: Which, by the way, I think is waaay better than the smooth japanese CFs. :rolleyes:
Stay Sharp!
timlara

Post by timlara »

this_is_nascar wrote:Thanks. I'm unfamiliar with the Domino. Does anyone know if the Domino and Sage-1 CF is the same?
I don't have a Sage 1 to take my own photo, but here are some decent ones borrowed from NGK that show the difference. I believe the feel/texture is not too different as they're both CF/G10 laminates, but the look/pattern is totally different. The Sage 3 / Domino have a complex diamond patchwork pattern, whereas the Sage 1 has a more traditional CF pattern.

In any case, if the blue was what you disliked most about the original Sage 3, you should DEFINITELY check out the new one!

Sage 1

Sage 3 CF
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx for the kind words, Kylems. Glad you like it.

The "Bolt Action" was invented by the late Blackie Collins. Certainly one of the most innovative designer/inventors, if not the best, in our industry. The lock was made by Gerber in production for many years. Way ahead of its time when invented.

sal
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

The Sage3 platform is one of my top-ten Spydies, definitely. Love it.

TedP
SaintlyBrees

Post by SaintlyBrees »

I love my Sage 3. it is a great knife in many ways. There is a lot of talk about the lock, and it is indeed a nice system, but the real strength of the knife (IMHO) is the feel and in-hand comfort. My Sage and my Manix 2 LW are my favorite true users for medium weight jobs. A very, very nice and usable knife. :)
My Spydies:
6 Manix 2 [blk/blk S30V, blk/blk XL, blue Sprint, blue LW, S110V LW, S90V CF XL]; 2 Delicas [VG10, Super Blue]; 4 Dragonflies [Tatoo, VG10, ZDP-189/Nishijin, Super Blue]; 4 Natives [S30V, Brn CTS-XHP, G10 S35N, Forum S110V]; 2 Chaparrals [Stepped Ti, CF]; 3 PM2s [blk/blk, blk/red Putnam, GRN CTS-204P sprint]; 1 CF bolt-action Sage; 1 Air; 1 Super Blue Manbug; 1 blk H1/blk frn Pacific Salt; 2 Stretch [Super Blue, ZDP-189]; 2 Enduras [VG10, blue jigged bone Damascus]
araneae

Post by araneae »

sal wrote:Thanx for the kind words, Kylems. Glad you like it.

The "Bolt Action" was invented by the late Blackie Collins. Certainly one of the most innovative designer/inventors, if not the best, in our industry. The lock was made by Gerber in production for many years. Way ahead of its time when invented.

sal
I know you said you were open to it, but are there any plans to put the BAL into new knives?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
mattman

Post by mattman »

LC Kid wrote:Hi Folks!

AFAIK, every single CF model that came out from Taichung is textured.
:cool: Which, by the way, I think is waaay better than the smooth japanese CFs. :rolleyes:
timlara wrote:I don't have a Sage 1 to take my own photo, but here are some decent ones borrowed from NGK that show the difference. I believe the feel/texture is not too different as they're both CF/G10 laminates, but the look/pattern is totally different. The Sage 3 / Domino have a complex diamond patchwork pattern, whereas the Sage 1 has a more traditional CF pattern.

In any case, if the blue was what you disliked most about the original Sage 3, you should DEFINITELY check out the new one!

Sage 1

Sage 3 CF
Sage 1, CF Balance, Bradley Folder scales have "Basket Weave" pattern that feels quite a bit different than the "peel-ply" texture found on the Domino.
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

sal wrote:Thanx for the kind words, Kylems. Glad you like it.

sal

I think you guys should think about making some new models with the bolt action. That would be awsome. Thanks for building an awsome knife.

gull wing

Post by gull wing »

The new one looks nice, congrats.
How is the lock disengagement? My old blue one IS hard to grasp and unlock.
I do like the wider(than #1 & #2) blade shape on the #3.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

gull wing wrote:The new one looks nice, congrats.
How is the lock disengagement? My old blue one IS hard to grasp and unlock.
I do like the wider(than #1 & #2) blade shape on the #3.
Disengagement is real easy not stiff and hard like the manix 2. You can operate it with one finger. You dont have to use one finger on each side of the lock. I think its real easy. Mine is at least.

this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

I love the CF texture on the Sage-1 and Chaparral. Any other texturing probably isn't going to do it for me.