Para 2 Action ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Don't play with the pivot yet, just add some lubricant and it will be fine...my stock Para 2 I got had the same issue. A little Nano and it's smoothhhhhh
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It sounds like it is sticking when the ball bearing in the liner drops off the tang and it is just the liner riding on the tang for that last tiny bit. I would inspect that interaction point. Maybe there is a bur or something on the liner catching or maybe it is just dirty/sticky. I would take it apart and see myself but maybe a good cleaning and oiling would help.

If you do not want to disassemble I would say just give it time to break in.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Strong-Dog wrote:I tried messing with the pivot, it did help but still not where I want it to be. I'm hesitant to take it apart, as the last Para I did that to got so sticky sometimes I would literally have to use all my force to disengage it. I will carry it and keep opening and closing it, after all no knife is perfect I guess. Just a little odd
The tightness of the stop pin screws can also have an effect on blade centering, blade play and overall pivot tightness. Sometimes it takes a little finesse and back and forth to get the blade to swing freely without play.
Cujobob wrote:Don't play with the pivot yet, just add some lubricant and it will be fine...my stock Para 2 I got had the same issue. A little Nano and it's smoothhhhhh
That's a good place to start. My green para arrived yesterday and it's pretty stiff out of the box. I'm gonna lube it up and see what happens before I start futzing with the pivot and stop pin.
timlara

Post by timlara »

Mine was fairly stiff out of the box as well (could not flick open, swing closed), but never fear, Nano-Oil 10W to the rescue!

Just applied a few drops around the inside edges of the pivot where you can see the bronze washers peeking through (helps to move the blade to various angles to see where you can find the best exposure) and then I held the blade by the Spyderhole and swung the handle back and forth many times to work the oil in. Then, I used a can of compressed air (with the straw nozzle) to blow any remaining oil droplets further into the washer area.

Here is the result...note the band-aid due to my sacrifice for science! :D

The action is just as good or better than any of my Paras now. In fact, this one has the most perfect detent strength of the bunch. Very pleased!

[video=youtube;c9OOghBBlDE]https://youtu.be/c9OOghBBlDE[/video]
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Canned air.....I need to get me some of that.
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
1965ford

Post by 1965ford »

My new green para 2 is so stiff that you can feel the blade 'stuttering' or binding as it opens. When depressing the lock the blade does not move at all, even when shaken vigorously. The pivot screw is so tight that I can budge it with the small torx driver that I have at work, just not enough handle to grip. Let us know how yours turns out, I am afraid to mess with the pivot screw on mine, don't want to strip it out.

**Update** after tracking down a full size t10 driver I was able to back up the pivot screw by 1/8 of a turn. blade opens smoothly with solid lockup and will free fall close.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

1965ford wrote:My new green para 2 is so stiff that you can feel the blade 'stuttering' or binding as it opens. When depressing the lock the blade does not move at all, even when shaken vigorously. The pivot screw is so tight that I can budge it with the small torx driver that I have at work, just not enough handle to grip. Let us know how yours turns out, I am afraid to mess with the pivot screw on mine, don't want to strip it out.

**Update** after tracking down a full size t10 driver I was able to back up the pivot screw by 1/8 of a turn. blade opens smoothly with solid lockup and will free fall close.
After adjusting mine, it's perfect. Some nano-oil, compressed air, and messing with one side of the pivot. Once it breaks in it will be even better
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
computernut

Post by computernut »

I have 3 PM2's:
Black DLC - was pretty free except for near closing, even after adjusting pivot. I took it apart and found an imperfection on the liner near the pivot area which I used a polishing dremel bit to clean up. Worked fine ever since.
Brown S35VN - wicked free, no resistance opening or closing
Black Satin - a little bindy but it was consistent throughout it's travel, instead of adjusting pivot I just used it and it's worn in quite nicely.
timlara

Post by timlara »

Strong-Dog wrote:After adjusting mine, it's perfect. Some nano-oil, compressed air, and messing with one side of the pivot. Once it breaks in it will be even better
Awesome! Glad you got it sorted out. My green para is definitely my smoothest para now. Love it!
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

timlara wrote:Awesome! Glad you got it sorted out. My green para is definitely my smoothest para now. Love it!
Yeah I love mine. The blades came super sharp too, sharper than normal.

-Henry Hill
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

I missed out on the green Para2. :(
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

1965ford wrote:**Update** after tracking down a full size t10 driver I was able to back up the pivot screw by 1/8 of a turn. blade opens smoothly with solid lockup and will free fall close.
Had to do the same with the green para that I got last week. I don't know that I even went 1/8 of a turn. Backing the pivot tightness off just a hair can make a huge difference.