Byrd Robin 2 FRN vs G10 width

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Sam78

Byrd Robin 2 FRN vs G10 width

Post by Sam78 »

hi folks, i recently bought a Cara Cara 2 in frn and i like it a lot! i now would like to buy a smaller Byrd to keep in my back jean pocket. my question is, is the Robin 2 g10 thicker than the frn version of it, and since i sit in a chair at work, will my weight on it be a factor as to which to buy? meaning will the frn version be strong enough under my weight (~220 lbs)? i plan on taking the clip off of it so it wont get bent when i sit down. anyways, i hope that it isn't too dumb of a question. thank you all in advance for any help.
araneae

Post by araneae »

They are about the same thickness. And no you will not crush either knife with your butt. They are much stronger than you seem to think. Your butt won't bend the clip either, (unless you have buns of steel or you are an unusually forceful sitter) but it won't be as comfortable to sit on.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Sam78

Post by Sam78 »

araneae wrote:They are about the same thickness. And no you will not crush either knife with your butt. They are much stronger than you seem to think. Your butt won't bend the clip either, (unless you have buns of steel or you are an unusually forceful sitter) but it won't be as comfortable to sit on.
thank you for the help. the price of the frn is only about a dollar less than the g10 version on amazon, where i usually shop. would you recommend the g10 over the frn or vise versa?
araneae

Post by araneae »

I like frn personally. Its light and tough as all get out. The G-10 version is heavier and a little classier if thats a concern for you.
-Nick

Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

I prefer Robin G10 or, if you look for an extremely durable and slim handle: there are also stainless steel handled ones-also in the price range of G10s.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

I got the G10 that I like a lot. For butt purposes I think the stainless would work better and with the jimping it has grip wont be a problem.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Sam78

Post by Sam78 »

I bought the g10 version since it was only a dollar more than the frn. It feels like a $50 or $60 knife. Heavier than my frn cara cara 2. Love it. If I had more money I would buy a second. Go Spyderco!
araneae

Post by araneae »

Glad you like it, its one of those rare occasions that you feel like you got more than you paid for.
-Nick

Sam78

Post by Sam78 »

araneae wrote:Glad you like it, its one of those rare occasions that you feel like you got more than you paid for.
a good company :)