3 new knives.....1 favorite

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tk59194

3 new knives.....1 favorite

Post by tk59194 »

So I made 3 new purchases over the last 2 weeks to include the Gayle Bradley, Stretch super blue and the Paramilitary 2. I've been rotating the three every day and lightly using to cut boxes, food prep, paracord and a few other mundane daily tasks and I have to say between the 3 it's and easy pick for my favorite. The Paramilitary 2 wins hands down at this point for me. I now completely understand why mostly everyone in here has praised the Paramilitary 2 so much. I only wished I hadn't waited so long to buy one. Everyday I am not carrying the PM2 I find myself wishing I was. It just fits in my hand perfectly and I absolutely love the compression lock. I love the looks of my GB and I love the cutting ability of the stretch super blue but there is just something about the PM2 that I love more than either of them. Anyways, thanks to all on this forum for providing a plethora of information and countless reviews on these knives. I am confident in all 3 and feel like I have some of the best that Spyderco has to offer. At this point I may have to buy a different variant of the PM2 I love it so much. Thanks again to all for the valuable info in this forum. Cheers TPK
Holland

Post by Holland »

congrats on the purchases and discovering the truth to the praise of the paramilitary 2 :D I still prefer my GB though :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
tk59194

Post by tk59194 »

What do you prefer about the Gayle Bradley? Just curious. I haven't used it all that much so my impressions so far are only initial.
Holland

Post by Holland »

The fit and finish is un-comparably better than the para2 (ive had 12 different para2s so i know there f&f ;) ), and M4 is my favourite steel. It also just feels more solid and give me more confidence when using it. ymmv
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Wow, great taste in knives I have to say. The only thing I would have done differently is get an FFG Manix 2 instead of the Para.
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

^ Taste being subjective of course I think my taste is great, but you get my point. Enjoy those sweet knives!
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
tk59194

Post by tk59194 »

So... Looks like I'm going to be using my GB a bit more and ordering a Manix 2 in the near future. I completely agree with the f&f being better on the GB. I also own a Sage 1 and the GB is on par with the Sage 1 in terms of f&f. I would love to revisit this topic after using these knives for 6 months or so and see if I still feel the same. That said, thank you guys for the feedback.
Nate

Post by Nate »

tk59194 wrote:So... Looks like I'm going to be using my GB a bit more and ordering a Manix 2 in the near future. I completely agree with the f&f being better on the GB. I also own a Sage 1 and the GB is on par with the Sage 1 in terms of f&f. I would love to revisit this topic after using these knives for 6 months or so and see if I still feel the same. That said, thank you guys for the feedback.
Please post an update after a while! I am similarly evaluating the Para2, Caly 3.5, & Stretch. I like them all but the Para keeps ending up in my pocket. To be fair though, I've had my user Para for over a year, while the others are recent acquisitions. I also would like to try out the GB and Manix, but I'm trying to just enjoy what I have for now...
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I bought the GB and the para at the same time. The Gayle Bradley is a "prettier" knife and had better overall f&f but it ended up getting sold off. The paramilitary is just a much more useful design for my uses! Great knife! Now try the military!! :D
tk59194

Post by tk59194 »

A little update now that I have had few weeks with these knives. It is really a tough choice for me at this point. One of the things I really like about the PM2 is how fun it is to open and close. The compression lock is really clever and a blast to play with. I also find that the PM2 excells at food prep in comparison to the GB. However, now that I have had a chance to use the GB a little more I have found that it is seeing more and more pocket time. At first, as others have mentioned, it was a PITA to close it. My thumb literally has developed a calous from learning to shut it 1 handed. Within the first few days i had broken the skin on my thumb several times. After about a week I have noticed that it is much easier for me to close it. Not sure if the knife has actually broken in a little bit, or my thumb has just developed a nice callous from continuously playing with it. (probably both) I will also say that the GB just feels more solid and well made in my hand compared to the PM2. It is also very much more aesthetically pleasing than the PM2 IMHO. Overall it is a toss up between these 2 fantastic knives. I truly love both of them and my most difficult decision of the day is which one to carry. Also, worth mentioning, I purchased a Stretch Superblue around the same time I purchased the PM2 and GB. I have not really had the opportunity to use this knife much yet.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

The PM2 is really an awesome knife...definitely one of the best knives available with cost considered. I've only had my SB Stretch for a little while, but I can already tell it's going to be a favourite. To be honest, the only way to relinquish either from me would be to prise them from my cold dead fingers. I don't own a Gayle Bradley yet, but carried one for a few weeks (Thanks again to Holland), and based on that I'm definitely going to be adding one to my collection at some point in the future. All 3 are superb choices to any collection.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I bought a GB and paramilitary at the same time. I used the pm2 way more so the Bradley ended up getting sold off. Then I got a military and the pm2 ended up getting sold off. :rolleyes: . Now I roll with a military and a yojimbo 2 and both are at the top of my list of all time favorites.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Surfingringo wrote:I bought a GB and paramilitary at the same time. I used the pm2 way more so the Bradley ended up getting sold off. Then I got a military and the pm2 ended up getting sold off. :rolleyes: . Now I roll with a military and a yojimbo 2 and both are at the top of my list of all time favorites.
You should check out the Chokwe if you like the wharncliff blade shape of the Yojimbo. Better slicer than the Yojimbo, and the hollow construction might lend itself more to what you do (Fish prep etc.) due to ease of cleaning. I'll end up with a Yojimbo eventually, but the Chokwe is one of my favourite designs (Due to great prices, quality of F&F, and it's definitely my smoothest opening Spyderco), and is easily available at heavy discounts at most retailers. Less gunk can get in a frame lock than a liner or compression lock.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I recently acquired a Military, to accompany my PM2, Manix LW, and Delica.

I'm utterly hooked on the Millie! I edc the sheeple friendly Delica, and use the LW as a weekend beater, but seriously now wondering where the PM2 fits.
"Rules are for the adherence of fools, and the guidance of wise men". Except in a pandemic....
Military Kapara, Brouwer, UKPK (GIN1 CE, HH g10 & s110v), Delica IV SG, Caly 3 SE, Kiwi4, Lil Matriarch, Endura SG & SEW, Dragonfly Hap40, Manbug ZDP189 & SB, Ladybug 2, Vtoku & HB, Stretch HAP40, Squeak, Squeak Ti, Chicago440C, Ikuchi, Byrd Tern, Watu, Chaparral Stealth Ti, Manix XL & Rex45 G10, Shaman ZCarta, Wolfspyder, NC cf, N5 M4,
All-R-Crazy

Post by All-R-Crazy »

ChrisinHove wrote:I recently acquired a Military, to accompany my PM2, Manix LW, and Delica.

I'm utterly hooked on the Millie! I edc the sheeple friendly Delica, and use the LW as a weekend beater, but seriously now wondering where the PM2 fits.
As soon as I got my mili I had the same delima
:spyder: delica ffg,endura ffg,pm2 black/black,delica sb,caly3.5 g10,caly3 sb,S90V military:spyder:
JAfromMN wrote:My favorite Spyderco is the one that I used the most Today
tk59194

Post by tk59194 »

Anything in particular that is preferred of the Mili over the PM2?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The size, both of blade and handle ( I have spades for hands), plus the ergo's of the liner lock- it seems to need less manipulation within the hand to unlock. That's no disrespect to the PM2 - it's clearly a masterpiece, and more fun to flick about with!
Spyderco seems to hit the mark with so many of their knives, and the variations surely make it a certainty that everyone will find their perfect folder.
"Rules are for the adherence of fools, and the guidance of wise men". Except in a pandemic....
Military Kapara, Brouwer, UKPK (GIN1 CE, HH g10 & s110v), Delica IV SG, Caly 3 SE, Kiwi4, Lil Matriarch, Endura SG & SEW, Dragonfly Hap40, Manbug ZDP189 & SB, Ladybug 2, Vtoku & HB, Stretch HAP40, Squeak, Squeak Ti, Chicago440C, Ikuchi, Byrd Tern, Watu, Chaparral Stealth Ti, Manix XL & Rex45 G10, Shaman ZCarta, Wolfspyder, NC cf, N5 M4,
Jason1986

Post by Jason1986 »

Congratulations! Paramilitary 2 is my personal top 2!