the Serrata, what's its intended role?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tr4022

the Serrata, what's its intended role?

Post by tr4022 »

If this has been discussed elsewhere, my apologies. I did a cursory if not exhaustive search and didn't see anything.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew what role Mr. Ackerman had in mind for the Serrata when he was designing it? Obviously, there's no law that says, Thou shalt not use this blade for trimming stray threads from your clothing, but somehow I don't think that was the idea behind the knife. Any input welcome, and TIA.

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Mr tr4022!

AFAIK, and looking at the blade shape and edge grind, the Serrata is a modern interpretation of an Outdoors / Bushcraft Utility knife.

And giving it's FFG edge geometry, personally I kinda like it way better than the traditional Bushcraft blade.

I'm just waiting for the season to go hunting big game with my Serrata.
:D
Stay Sharp!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Probably a bit of everything you could use a wide blade for. Mainly though, cutting stuff :) .
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

What the others said...it is a knife that cuts fibrous stuff well, due to the mini serrated effect that the edge has...
But it is still a knife, a matter separator...( Sal's description about a knife, if he does not mind me using them here in this context?)

Intended function ?
To cut fibrous materials, all sorts of rope, all sorts of fabric, plant matter, food preparation, kitchen use, skinning animals...
Using the first Spyderco protoI I did chop polyethlene pipe tubing to test the edge for chipping and it was fine, no rolling, but edge would not cut hemp rope cleanly...a touch up one stroke each side on a 4 inch long med gray ceramic rod and and would cut well again...
Holland

Post by Holland »

dont forget, it can slay zombies as well ^ :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Blerv wrote:Probably a bit of everything you could use a wide blade for. Mainly though, cutting stuff :) .
[slaps forehead:] Now, see, I didn't think of that!! :D
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:What the others said...it is a knife that cuts fibrous stuff well, due to the mini serrated effect that the edge has...
But it is still a knife, a matter separator...( Sal's description about a knife, if he does not mind me using them here in this context?)

Intended function ?
To cut fibrous materials, all sorts of rope, all sorts of fabric, plant matter, food preparation, kitchen use, skinning animals...
Using the first Spyderco protoI I did chop polyethlene pipe tubing to test the edge for chipping and it was fine, no rolling, but edge would not cut hemp rope cleanly...a touch up one stroke each side on a 4 inch long med gray ceramic rod and and would cut well again...
Thanks so much for responding, Mr. Ackerman. Beautiful knife, btw.

Tod
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Holland wrote:dont forget, it can slay zombies as well ^ :D

Zombies--- ugh, I HATE those guys!

tod
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Holland wrote:dont forget, it can slay zombies as well ^ :D
Wouldn't be my first choice for this task, but it should work.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

blerv wrote:probably a bit of everything you could use a wide blade for. Mainly though, cutting stuff :) .
+1 :d
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.