Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

I'm just getting into acquiring Stretches (as I've only recently come into the obsession of knife collecting) and really like this knife. If there is going to be a new CF sprint with a redesigned choil then why not put it out in a steel that it hasn't seen yet? I also like M390 and would love to see a version of the Stretch with M390 or the Carpenter equivalent CTS 204P. There is already a Super Blue Stretch - which I will be getting as soon as it ships; I have the ZDP 189 already and am probably going to get the Damascus Nishijin (for a "prettified" VG10 version). There is already a ZDP-189 version in CF so why not M390 or CS 204P - it is a great steel!

Can anyone think of any drawbacks to making a version of this knife in this steel?
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

It's a Japan made model so they are limited to what the maker is willing to use in this case Japanese steels. Always been a limiting factor, I even asked Sal if he could move the Stretch to Taiwan to open up possibilities but he said that's not gonna happen. It would be disrespectful to do so which I understand. There's many steels I'd like to see on my favorite knife :) But I'll take what we can get at this point.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

FCM415 wrote:It's a Japan made model so they are limited to what the maker is willing to use in this case Japanese steels. Always been a limiting factor, I even asked Sal if he could move the Stretch to Taiwan to open up possibilities but he said that's not gonna happen. It would be disrespectful to do so which I understand. There's many steels I'd like to see on my favorite knife :) But I'll take what we can get at this point.
Ok - thanks for the explanation. I was hoping for a more stainless version in something more exotic than VG-10 but ZDP is still been fairly decent against corrosion so far for me. I guess that Japan is not willing to use anything but Japanese steel from what your saying - even if another steel is supplied to them?

I guess another VG-10 or ZDP-189 in carbon fiber would be nice especially since I don't have an original CF Stretch and I was considering picking one up. Getting the new and improved version in ZDP-189 with the new choil would give me a more upscale looking version of the FRN model that I already have but with better ergonomics. I still haven't got my Stretch Super Blue - which will be my first foray into that metal but think that I would prefer something more stainless for an EDC with more pocket time.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

I guess the upside of that is that means there is still hope for me to see a Domino Sprint run in S110V, M390 or CTS 204P :)

Unless there is some other factor that might prevent this that I'm unaware of :(
Please enlighten me if that is the case and I'll try to come to terms with the pain that thought causes me. :eek:
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

The Domino has quickly become my new favorite and will surely be inducted into my "hall of fame" along with the Stretch and Para2. I would love to see a Sprint or two of the Domino! They could do G-10 for the handle to mitigate some of the cost of more expensive steel.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
1965ford

Post by 1965ford »

How about H1 Stretch with yellow G10 or FRN and black coated blade. Many might find it fugly, but I think that it would look cool.
araneae

Post by araneae »

What's with all the chatter? I keep hoping for bombshells and get let down...
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
jvarn81

Post by jvarn81 »

araneae wrote:What's with all the chatter? I keep hoping for bombshells and get let down...
agreed.
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

1965ford wrote:How about H1 Stretch with yellow G10 or FRN and black coated blade. Many might find it fugly, but I think that it would look cool.
I would take one of those with the yellow! :)
araneae

Post by araneae »

This is a casual bombshell... Pingo sprint:
sal wrote:Elmax & Ti.

sal
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Spyderco/Strider collab:
sal wrote:We've spoken with Strider several times about a collaboration and we both are willing, just haven't been able to get together and make it happen. They do make great knives.

sal
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Spyderco/Strider collab:
ho.lee.chit.

want.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

[quote="Liquid Cobra"]Spyderco/Strider[/quote]

This is Awesome.[/font]
:D But just because it would be the only way I could ever get some Strider in my collection. :rolleyes:
Stay Sharp!
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Epic casual bombshell, in regards to future fixed blades:
sal wrote:We have, in-the-works; a Bob Taylor designed Pygmy Warrior, a Gayle Bradley fixed blade, a Phil Wilson B & T, a Sam Owens H1 neck knife, a Chris Claycomb "NASA" version of the Bushcraft model (full flat S90V, CF handle), a Design called the Dutchman designed for Bushcraft (still a ways off), a "Swick" leaf and several Mule Teams.

sal
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

araneae wrote:This is a casual bombshell... Pingo sprint:
Where is this in the forum?
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

mark greenman wrote:Epic casual bombshell, in regards to future fixed blades:
Thanks, so Sal confirmed it! Phil Wilson BT Sprig is a go!
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

In refering to the Native 5 lightweight-
"I know they're in production now. Mine gets quite a bit of carry time."
sal

Woooohooo. Now I will be spending all my time refreshing my favorite shop website to see when they drop.
I’ve come to conclude that Fettucini Alfredo is just Mac-and-Cheese for food snobs.
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

This is a dream of mine. Ti/integral compression lock Para2.
Sal Glesser wrote:Hi Tricker,

the term "Frame-lock" was created because makers didn't want to say Chris Reeve's "Integral lock". (which I believe Chris trademarked). We just call them "RIL" or Reeve Integral lock. We've been calling the the integral compression lock an integral compression lock.

On a para version, we have a proto that is very nice. It would be all new tooling, but it's on a back burner due to capacity issues at this time. Golden factory is being enlarged and we should be able to get it to a front burner next year. We'd probably do a sprint ATR in Seki.

The Dodo was very inconvenient to "squeeze in".

sal
Sal Glesser wrote:The Integral Compression Lock Para that we have is Ti. On the ATR, we'ved not decided what to make it out of. Still discussing with the maker.

sal
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Mr bearfacekiller!

[quote="bearfacedkiller"]This is a dream of mine. Ti/integral compression lock Para2.[/quote]

You're not alone Bro.

As a BombShell, this is a Nuke![/font]
:D
Stay Sharp!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Been waiting a while for an RIL/Ti Para2. Be still my heart!

TedP