Sharpmaker rod wobble acceptable?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sbaker345

Sharpmaker rod wobble acceptable?

Post by sbaker345 »

I love my sharp maker and I am getting great results however the rods do wobble in the base some they do settle when pressure is applied but is it something to worry about?
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

No.
Bradley Folder 2 CPM M4
Military ​​​CTS XHP​ - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​
Para Military 2CTS​ XHP - CTS 204P
Manix 2 CTS XHP - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​ - CPM​ M4
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

There is a bit of play in the slots, its normal. You could put a rubber band around the top of the stones, it will bring the angle down a touch and stop the rods from moving.
Ray Allen

Post by Ray Allen »

Hi,
I too have thought about this. I just make sure to apply a extra touch of sideways pressure to achieve consistency.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

sbaker345 wrote:I love my sharp maker and I am getting great results however the rods do wobble in the base some they do settle when pressure is applied but is it something to worry about?
when they're settled they sit at 15/20 degrees, if you pinch them they pinch to 13 and 17 degrees..... When I used to use the sharpmaker, I would use it at 17 or 13 degrees
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Ray Allen wrote:Hi,
I too have thought about this. I just make sure to apply a extra touch of sideways pressure to achieve consistency.
That will just force you to raise a heavy burr and stress your edge
Ray Allen

Post by Ray Allen »

razorsharp wrote:That will just force you to raise a heavy burr and stress your edge
Hi Travis,
Got to respectfully disagree with you on this one. I am talking about just a hair of pressure, just enough to prevent wobble. Never seen even the slightest hint of stress to the edge, verified using my 30 power loupe. Now if you really laid into the sideways pressure, I am with you all the way.
Cheers...
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

The wobble isn't really an issue but I would like to see a new system come out that is deeper (so rods can sit in further and remove play) and has more storage for the other sharpening stones.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Mine have a bit of play, but nothing that affects the act of sharpening. Nothing to be concerned about.