Kitchen Utility Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JerryIsAlive

Kitchen Utility Knife

Post by JerryIsAlive »

I am in the market for a kitchen knife. The spyderco offering looks great and is a great price. Anyone care to give some feedback? Also, I saw Sal mention the kitchen knife will be tweaked soon. Is there a timeframe for this? Any idea what the modifications will be? I just don't want to grab one and have them announce new version shortly after.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I am very pleased with mine. Paid SFO pricing and would do so again. One of the most versatile kitchen knives I have ever owned. Extremely thin behind the edge for a production knife. I would recommend to anyone who asks. They also make great gifts at that price point.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JerryIsAlive

Post by JerryIsAlive »

Does it come with a sheath or anything to hold it in while not in use? Also, why is the blue only offered with a SE?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

JerryIsAlive wrote:Does it come with a sheath or anything to hold it in while not in use? Also, why is the blue only offered with a SE?
No sheath to speak of, I just placed it in the butchers block where a useless no-name utility used to reside. I am not sure about the blue, but I like the idea that the colors help differentiate when it is in the knife block.
*Landon*
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I use the K05 more, but the K04 is also an excellent slicer due to it's thin blade. Easy to maintain as well, MBS-26 is easy to sharpen and takes a great edge Not sure why on the blue on the current SE ones but believe the original motivation was to make it easier for kitchen staff in restaurants to know they were grabbing a serrated knife. As with most kitchen knives, there's no sheath.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JerryIsAlive

Post by JerryIsAlive »

Does anybody know what the prospective changes to the knife will be or when the changes are expected?
Clip

Post by Clip »

Jerry, the handle has been changed to solid polypropylene from Sermollan. Other than that I think they're very similar. They are available now, Howes has them on overstock price for around $23.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Clip wrote:Jerry, the handle has been changed to solid polypropylene from Sermollan. Other than that I think they're very similar. They are available now, Howes has them on overstock price for around $23.
I can't believe they are still available for that price. I hope this isn't a sign of a poor selling item. I want to see a new version of the full set.
*Landon*
JerryIsAlive

Post by JerryIsAlive »

Clip wrote:Jerry, the handle has been changed to solid polypropylene from Sermollan. Other than that I think they're very similar. They are available now, Howes has them on overstock price for around $23.
Thanks for the reply. I was under the impression they brought back this knife with the plans to modify the design. Maybe the prices are so low because a new version is coming out. Can anybody confirm that a new version is coming out? If not, I'll just grab one of these
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

That price is insanity. These knives are crazy good at multiple times the price.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Blerv wrote:That price is insanity. These knives are crazy good at multiple times the price.
Yes it is, I'm seriously considering getting another one and having someone trim it down into a 4" mini-santoku.
Paul
JerryIsAlive

Post by JerryIsAlive »

Where are you seeing it for $23? Howes is listing $29
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JerryIsAlive wrote:Does anybody know what the prospective changes to the knife will be or when the changes are expected?
Here's a link to the thread where Sal discusses the changes.
Paul
Clip

Post by Clip »

JerryIsAlive wrote:Where are you seeing it for $23? Howes is listing $29
Apologies guys, I reread the email and they're back up to $29. Apparently it was a one-day sale. I picked mine up for $27 ea from CS early this month, free shipping code still works.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
JerryIsAlive

Post by JerryIsAlive »

The Deacon wrote:Here's a link to the thread where Sal discusses the changes.
Thank you very much. Looks like I'll grab a K04 and wait to see what they do with K05 and BD1 steel
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The Deacon wrote:Yes it is, I'm seriously considering getting another one and having someone trim it down into a 4" mini-santoku.
That would be pretty cool :D .
araneae

Post by araneae »

The Deacon wrote:Yes it is, I'm seriously considering getting another one and having someone trim it down into a 4" mini-santoku.
Interesting thought indeed.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

Clip wrote:I picked mine up for $27 ea from CS early this month, free shipping code still works.
Thanks - I just ordered one of each (plain and serrated) - these will be my first Spyderco kitchen knives :)
Wanted: Superhawk - Found!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I just ordered two each plain and serrated. Thin to win it! These should make great gifts, too, lots of value for the price.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

We bought two of the plain and one serrated from HKS. Both work quite well in our kitchen, the thin profile worked perfectly. Gifted one of the plane edges and gave the other one to a professional for evaluation. Waiting to hear his opinion, his preference is a 10' - 12" chief blade.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.