Simple mod/repair. Tip regrind.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Simple mod/repair. Tip regrind.

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Right off the bat I need to thank Surfingringo. His post on how he reground his Pacific Salt inspired me to save three of my knives which had lost their tips from sharpening. Here is his original thread:

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... th-photos)

Knife number one was my newly aquired Urban (wharncliffe). I sharpened it to a ridiculous angle on my Edge Pro Apex. The pointy tip was lost along with my interest in the knife. I know that sounds bad, but apparently a pointy tip is incredibly important to me. Who knew?

Here is what it looked like when I got started. Funny, the tip doesn't look too bad in this picture, but I wanted more. Lets get started.

I followed Surfingringo's advice and did everything he said. The tape started out as a guide and I was prepared to take off as much steel as you can see showing here. Once I got started I quickly realized that the tip would was getting repaired without removing all that much steel. I removed the tape and just eyeballed it.

I have a piece of glass that I use for sharpening with the Edge Pro, so I used it for the sand paper. I started with the 60 grit, taped it to the glass and went to work. For the 60 grit I was pushing pretty hard so having it taped down helped a lot and made progress easy. Once I got the blade looking like I wanted I moved up in grits on the spine of the blade just to get rid of the scratch marks. I moved from 60 all the way up to 600 grit sandpaper. When I was done, you couldn't see any kind of damage on the spine. Simply put, this is the easiest and most satisfying mod I've ever done. I'm a very happy camper.

So after the Urban was done, I started on my new Starmate. Another victim to the Edge Pro Apex. The blade is nice and sharp, but the tip wasn't as pointy as I'd like. I followed the same process as before and got fantastic results. I showed this one to the wife when I was done and she couldn't tell I did anything to it at all. She's got a pretty good eye for this stuff too.

The third knife is my new Paramilitary 2 CPM 154/S90V. I've sharpened this knife a couple times now. I've had a really hard time getting a mirror polish. I guess S90V is a **** of a steel as I haven't had much trouble with other steels since I got the Edge Pro. I've had a hard time enjoying this knife because it was so new, and the loss of the tip as described above seems to bother me quite a bit. But after today I've got the tip back and am enjoying the knife once again. This knife isn't a safe queen. I'm putting it to work everyday. I'll create a thread someday down the line describing my thoughts on the laminate if there is any interest in that. I know for the price, and the rarity of this knife a lot of you are probably thinking I'm crazy for doing this to my new Para. But I want to carry it, I want to use it. I have many knives that I consider grails, and none of them sit on a shelf. They all get used and enjoyed. Anyway, the pics..

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

So thats that. For the most part you can't really tell I did anything. The para probably sticks out the most, but I'm okay with that. Thanks again Surfingringo!

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Nice work!
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Revival

Post by Revival »

Nice job and nice pics!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Most of those tiny little chips will sharpen out over time. I have one on my Southard right now.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MadRookie

Post by MadRookie »

Good work - thx for the WIP pics.

:)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Thanks for sharing Liquid. The mod work looks excellent and so do your edges.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
wquiles

Post by wquiles »

Wow, nice work there man ;)
Wanted: Superhawk - Found!
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Nice knives!
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Nice. Ok, who's next. Swigert?? Where you at boy? ;)
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

When you come off the tip during the sharpening process try to focus on what you're doing so you don't round the tip off. Try to pull it off as soon as you get to the tip so you don't round it out. The Edge pro causes you to swipe down towards the end of the movement rounding the tip. The sharpmaker can do the same thing if you don't pay attention.
Holland

Post by Holland »

looks great! very well done
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE