Dear Spyderco, Mr Glesser & Mr Glesser,

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Sal,

Makes me feel good to hear that you had to "train" yourself to accept and use tip up. Great minds think alike. I hope it doesn't take me years to get used to tip up. Lol!!! I have been carrying my Sage3 all week though and absolutely love how smooth it is. This smoothness, fit and finish and ergos of this thing are forcing me to adjust. Thanks again for trying to make everyone happy.

Darby
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Donut

Post by Donut »

Safer depends on your use. I carry clipped to my front right pocket and prefer tip up for that, I carry clipped to my back right pocket and prefer tip down for that.

It is tough to find the right tip down model, sometimes.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

I wouldn't worry much about Spyderco following any particular trend. They create trends. Like Sal said, lots of customers with lots of desires, so they put out lots of options. Not every knife is going to fit the configuration you like, but the good news is that there probably is another one coming around the corner that will fit you just fine. I personally will carry either tip up or tip down and trust the judgement of the designers as far as what works best for the knife. I do lean towards tip up however since I carry in my front pocket.

With regards to the custom collaborations, be aware the clip design and location is usually at the discretion of the custom maker.
Current EDC rotation: Southard, Paramilitary 2, Sage 1, G10 DF2, Techno

On deck: Military, Caly 3.5, Air

Wish List: M4 Military, S90V PM2, Superblue Caly 3.5, G-10 Jester
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Threads like this are interesting, sometimes I learn something new. Seems like most of the Spydies I carry are tip-up, except my Military. I find I can deploy a tip-up faster. and I like what Sal said about the blade being captured by the pocket edge. I had a Kershaw Leek open in my pocket....If it was tip-up, not sure that would of been an issue.

But I will say, the holes for different carry positions never bothered me.
PM2(Camo/Satin) Military (Safety Orange, Camo), Endura (Wave, ZDP-189, Super Blue), Gayle Bradley, Techno, Pacific Salt PE, Tasman Salt SE, Harpy, Manbug ZDP-189, Dragonfly Aus 8, Ladybug (Red with CE...1990ish), Cricket SE, Civilian.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Tip up is the only way to go. Tip down is extremely dangerous, you're wearing your hand out you over that hump and all thoose rough edges when the back of the knife is perfectly round and smooth and the opening hole is on the wrong end when you comeout of yout pocket. That's exactly why I don't own a Military.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

gbelleh wrote:What's so terrible about tip-up anyway?
1. It's slower.
2. It's insecure.

(I feel like I'm like a lone crusader for truth and justice.) I have knives that work either way, and I'm carrying a tip up knife now. Every time I pull it out to use it I'm reminded how slow and insecure tip up carry is. I have read where people are afraid of a knife coming open in their pocket. I don't know why this would happen and I have never seen it happen. All of my knives are hard to open even when you want them to open.

I have big hands but I also carry large knives. When I pull out my tip up knife, the tip of my thumb is 1.5" from the thumb stud, I just measured with a ruler. I don't know how you can open that knife without sliding the knife down into your hand, and if you are in a hurry you might drop it. I was using my Manix 2 to open boxes so I had to use it one-handed, I learned to just toss it up in the air and catch it after it rotated a half turn. That's going to really be slow and insecure.

Years ago when I carried knives more the size of a Delica, my thumb could actually reach the thumb hole. With my Gayle Bradley or Vallotton, my thumb won't reach.
zidfeldts

Post by zidfeldts »

My most carried Spydercos are a Native and a Stretch 2. The clips on those 2 were taken off many years ago and will never be replaced. How about those of us who don't use pocket clips, why do we have to put up with the holes?
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

bdblue wrote:1. It's slower.
2. It's insecure.

(I feel like I'm like a lone crusader for truth and justice.)
Maybe you should practice more.... :rolleyes:
PM2(Camo/Satin) Military (Safety Orange, Camo), Endura (Wave, ZDP-189, Super Blue), Gayle Bradley, Techno, Pacific Salt PE, Tasman Salt SE, Harpy, Manbug ZDP-189, Dragonfly Aus 8, Ladybug (Red with CE...1990ish), Cricket SE, Civilian.
bearfacedkiller

sal wrote:
As you can see, There are different preferences for clip orientation and easch person has their reason for their preference. "All good, just different".

sal
Did you guys miss this, I don't believe this thread is meant to be a debate/argument about which is right but rather an opportunity to discuss our preferences.

Darby
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

zidfeldts wrote:My most carried Spydercos are a Native and a Stretch 2. The clips on those 2 were taken off many years ago and will never be replaced. How about those of us who don't use pocket clips, why do we have to put up with the holes?
I don't help any. I wish the Air had a clip and have mentioned it many times and it is just about the only knife without one. Lol!! Now I feel bad about complaining that it doesn't have a clip.
-Darby
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The primary reason I like tip up on most knives is because it gets the bulk of the knife (and center of mass) much lower in the pocket and away from the opening. This aids in pocket access and keep the knife safe & secure. I find this especially important on more bulky knives like the Manix 2.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

I don't mind the tip down orientation on the Military. I don't like the pocket clip positioning though. Too much of the handle sticks out of the pocket for me.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Screwdriver wrote:Maybe you should practice more....
I do. My Manix2 is probably my most-carried knife these days. All this week I'm carrying a different 4" tip-up knife.

I've been carrying knives with clips for over 20 years, starting with my first Spyderco. I've practiced until I can use either one, but the tip-down is 100% natural, the tip-up I have to work hard to make it work and it still doesn't work as well as tip-down.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

RanCoWeAla wrote:Tip up is the only way to go. Tip down is extremely dangerous, you're wearing your hand out you over that hump and all thoose rough edges when the back of the knife is perfectly round and smooth and the opening hole is on the wrong end when you comeout of yout pocket. That's exactly why I don't own a Military.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Funny - I'm a tip up guy, except for liner locks. Also funny how we all think the "other" tip orientation is dangerous. :)
Give me a back lock any day, tip up.
- best wishes, Jazz.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

This whole tip-up/tip-down debate is starting to sound like a chapter from Gulliver's Travels. :D
:bug-red-white
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

gbelleh wrote:This whole tip-up/tip-down debate is starting to sound like a chapter from Gulliver's Travels. :D
An interesting reference. I need a brush up. Good thing I needed a book for next month.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

xceptnl wrote:The primary reason I like tip up on most knives is because it gets the bulk of the knife (and center of mass) much lower in the pocket and away from the opening. This aids in pocket access and keep the knife safe & secure. I find this especially important on more bulky knives like the Manix 2.
This is a really good point.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

Everyone seems to have a preference, I am glad so many of the new ones have lanyard holes and the I believe all Spyderco clips are removable. I don't use clips and I add lanyards to all my knives. (I even went so far as to drill a hole in my Sage 2)

As much as I applaud Spyderco for having many knives with a 4 way clip, I too would rather not have a knife that with so many holes. Just look at the beautiful uncluttered lines of the Air...now if it only had a lanyard hole. :)

I would imagine it would be more difficult to use a model with a BBL like the Manix if it had a tip down clip... I imagine this is the case with more than just this model...the tip down option seems to lend itself mostly to backlocks, else the clip would interfere with the ease of using the lock.

Just want to take an opportunity to thank Syderco for the Wire clip. It leaves the least offensive holes when removed altogether.

Grizz
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

xceptnl wrote:The primary reason I like tip up on most knives is because it gets the bulk of the knife (and center of mass) much lower in the pocket and away from the opening. This aids in pocket access and keep the knife safe & secure. I find this especially important on more bulky knives like the Manix 2.
That is a factor for some people, especially with the knives that can be pretty tall to the top of the thumb hole like the Manix 2. I even have some thumb stud knives that are taller at the pivot end than the butt end. (I'm carrying one of those today, tip up.) Doesn't matter to me though, I have big hands and tight jeans and can barely get my hands into my pockets without a knife, clip a big knife in there and nothing goes in that pocket but the knife and cellphone since I can pull the cellphone out with thumb and one finger.

When I first got involved in these arguments about up or down carry I searched youtube for videos to show hot to do the complex manipulation for tip up carry. I thought it was funny that I was finding a bunch of videos with people carrying knives clipped in their pajamas or sweatpants and they were demonstrating that way. I don't own any pajamas or sweatpants, and mostly wear jeans. So what you wear seems to be another factor to consider in the up/down discussion.

As for how much knife sticks out of the pocket, since I can't get my hands into the pocket the amount of knife sticking out helps with the draw. I have a couple of knives with deep carry clips and they are very hard for me to draw since there is nothing to hold onto. Try to hold against the clip and the handle and you end up just pinching the clip tighter against the material of your pocket.