Amsterdam Meet 2014 Report of Upcoming Spyderco Prototypes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Do we have any idea how thick the blade will be on the Slysz Bowie?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Spydersense

Circle your "must have" knives.

Post by Spydersense »

Jazz wrote:With Wouter's approval, I collaged all the knives so we could see them at a glance. These are all his photos.

Thanks for the collage Jazz. I circled the ones that I must have. :)
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
CAMAROMAN

Post by CAMAROMAN »

^^Thanks for the great collage pic!
:spyder: Laci Szabo, Military (digital camo), Navaja,Centofante 3 , Persian 2,Lum Chinese, Ladybug ZDP, Tasman Salt, Native,Viele, Spin, Persistance, Dragonfly, Manix 2, Pingo, Impala, T-mag

"A knifeless man is a lifeless man" - old Nordic proverb
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Do we have any idea how thick the blade will be on the Slysz Bowie?
IIRC someone mentioned it's on the thick side ~4mm?

Ken
玉鋼
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Awesome collage pic, Jazz! Thank you!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Wouter did you see any new knives with compression or bbls?

Thanks again! Great thread.
There was a lightweight manix variation and Pekka Tuominen sent Sal a custom folder with a compression lock, those are the two I can recall right now.
jeru

Post by jeru »

I really hope, beg and pray that more folders come with a four-way swappable pocket-clip... I am getting sick and tired and very frustrated to see all these awesome new knives like the awesome Rubicon and Slysz without the possibility to carry them tip-down. I get the feeling that more and more companies don't care about that anymore. ZT is an excellent example: always had their entire line of folders with four-way swappable pocket-clips, but since the last couple of years all the awesome collabs and limited editions came strictly tip-up :(
Mallus

Post by Mallus »

I'd like to see Pekka's compression lock design brought towards production! Hopefully with as lean grind as originally was in Nilakka but with a steel better suited for it. What has stopped me from buying the Nilakka has been the high carbide steel given the otherwise superbly designed blade. On top of that, liner locks fall way behind compression locks in my preferences.
bearfacedkiller

kbuzbee wrote:IIRC someone mentioned it's on the thick side ~4mm?

Ken
I wasn't sure if with the "smallish" Techno being 4.5 mm if this would be the same or maybe even thicker. :eek: It looks so nice and I like the blade shape so much that I am torn. Tip up makes it a difficult decision for me so at this point the blade thickness may very well be the deciding factor.

The frontier looks like it is 3.5 inches of 2 mm blade which is very appealing to me but I do not see them adding a clip to the bolster for obvious aesthetic reasons and the thumb ramp built into the bolster, while probably functional, looks a little odd to me. Very interested in how it would feel in hand but again I am a tip down guy.

I am lucky enough to live 12 miles away from the SFO and works just 2 miles away so when they actually surface I get to check them out first person. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I am lucky enough to live 12 miles away from the SFO and works just 2 miles away so when they actually surface I get to check them out first person. :D
Rub it in why don't ya!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
bearfacedkiller

I moved out here about 7 years ago and that was about the time I re-gifted my sole Benchmade back to the person who had given it to me. It was a knife he was unable to acquire anymore and mentioned how much he missed it so I gave it back to him. Then knifeless and living so close to Spyderco I went to the SFO just to check it out and maybe buy a new knife. We all can probaly guess how that turned out. :D
-Darby
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Mr Blonde wrote:There was a lightweight manix variation and Pekka Tuominen sent Sal a custom folder with a compression lock, those are the two I can recall right now.
This must have been the new lightweight midnight blue FRCP with S110V steel? I wonder if anyone has heard whether the scales are translucent and when it is expected to debut.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

jeru wrote:I really hope, beg and pray that more folders come with a four-way swappable pocket-clip... I am getting sick and tired and very frustrated to see all these awesome new knives like the awesome Rubicon and Slysz without the possibility to carry them tip-down. I get the feeling that more and more companies don't care about that anymore. ZT is an excellent example: always had their entire line of folders with four-way swappable pocket-clips, but since the last couple of years all the awesome collabs and limited editions came strictly tip-up :(
I get where you're coming from, but the two you mentioned are also collaboration knives, so we just have to accept if the designer wanted the clip a certain way, just like the Southard clip only has one orientation option. Some would argue that a custom level knife like the Rubicon would sacrifice a lot of looks and appeal if it had a bunch of extra holes drilled in it, while even other like Paul would argue that holes and a clip at all are just in the way. I have no doubt there is much more demand for knives like the Military that are tip down only to be switched to tip up or at least 4 way option, so you may unfortunately be on the minority with this one. Also you have to expect anything with a wire clip to be tip up only. Still I don't think you have anything to fear, there are other models like the Native 5 that have gone from tip up only previous designs to 4 way clip, and knives like the Military 2 will no doubt be coming with 4 way clip options too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Evil D wrote:Also you have to expect anything with a wire clip to be tip up only.
The only exception at the moment is the Des Horn.

Really though, the fact that Spyderco has about 100 models in circulation is insanity. Not to mention coming with at least 10 more per year. If people want more knives in a specific configuration they really need to think of the global picture...Spyderco is probably losing money giving us variety instead of 10 ice cream flavors. Period.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Also,

You always have the option of designing your own dream knife and pitching it to Spyderco. This thread is proof that people do it every year.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

DougC-3 wrote:This must have been the new lightweight midnight blue FRCP with S110V steel? I wonder if anyone has heard whether the scales are translucent and when it is expected to debut.
Yes, I think you're right. I recall the scales being solid, not see through.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Mr Blonde wrote:Yes, I think you're right. I recall the scales being solid, not see through.
Good, I was hoping for opaque ones for this knife, though I think the translucent scales have their place. Thanks for the info :)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

For the record, the handle on the S110V Manix2 is FRN (fiberglass-reinforced nylon), not FRCP (fiberglass-reinforced co-polymer) like the previous Manix2 Lightweights. FRN is definitely opaque and is the same material used on all other Spyderco lightweight models.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
nccole

Post by nccole »

Michael Janich wrote:For the record, the handle on the S110V Manix2 is FRN (fiberglass-reinforced nylon), not FRCP (fiberglass-reinforced co-polymer) like the previous Manix2 Lightweights. FRN is definitely opaque and is the same material used on all other Spyderco lightweight models.

Stay safe,

Mike
Any reason why? Just to get the color that was desired perhaps?
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Michael Janich wrote:For the record, the handle on the S110V Manix2 is FRN (fiberglass-reinforced nylon), not FRCP (fiberglass-reinforced co-polymer) like the previous Manix2 Lightweights. FRN is definitely opaque and is the same material used on all other Spyderco lightweight models.

Stay safe,

Mike
Thanks for clarifying the confusion. I thought I'd heard somewhere that this one would have FRCP.

Doug