Calling all custom Caly's

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nccole

Post by nccole »

No where near Tap78's level of polishing (or photography skills!) but I think the Caly 3 is ripe for polishing for some reason.

Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Nice job dgebler.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Parkourdude

Post by Parkourdude »

Not mine but I found this one in the Australian blade forums.

- http://www.australianbladeforums.com/vb ... mped-today

[ATTACH]23369[/ATTACH]
Attachments
IMG_3888 (1280x853).jpg
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

dgebler wrote:I took this from 200 to 1500 grit and I think I may have gone a little too far in some areas...not quite as even and beautiful as the vallotton thats for sure, but it has a nice smooth feel and I did take the pins down flush with the scales and they seem to have plenty of material left. If any of you have any suggestions to get a more even or high polished look let me know.
[ATTACH]23365[/ATTACH]
I think this is going to carry great in my dress pants, although I may need to be a little more careful at first to make sure I have the same retention.

tap78, that is one beautiful knife!!! how do you do that???
What a difference! Peel ply G-10 is butt-ugly while polished G-10 looks great.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

One thing I could still use some help with is that while much smoother, the G-10 still does not have an even sheen. I polished up to 1500 grit wet sandpaper, and it feels like glass, but I can still see differences in the sheen of the G10, some looks shiny or wet and some looks dull, almost like the grain has some trapped powder from sanding. I think it may be that I did not have even pressure the entire time (partly due to sanding around pins) and I have gone deeper into the G-10 in some areas than others.

Does anyone know of a good way to make this look more consistent? Also, I do love the high polish of the Vallotton and would like to get closer to this, my 1500 grit wet sand still left this smooth, but dull looking. I don't have a dremel or polishing wheel but would love to know how to get a more even and shiny finish.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Satin finish, Convexed edge, Mirror polished

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
sok

Post by sok »

That looks good dgebler. You may have inspired me to try to do the same to my G10 version.

In the sprint run request thread, several people asked for some sort of denim micarta(including myself). What you are doing to yours is kind of what I was envisioning.

I don't mind the pinned construction of the Caly 3.5, but I now see how it can crimp the style of those that like to customize.
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

deleted
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

(something wrong first time I posted)
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

Reposting this...
sok wrote:That looks good dgebler. You may have inspired me to try to do the same to my G10 version.
I'm thinking the same thing because my black 3.5 hasn't had much pocket time lately. Polishing the g-10 seems like a perfect project for those like me who wish they had a micarta Calypso.

Also, not much of a mod but I bought a grey SB caly 3 dyed light blue by the previous user. I think it's quite attractive. Here's a photo

Mallus

Post by Mallus »

If you were willing to drill away the pins, would it be overly difficult to pin new scales on the Calys or G10 Persians? I have both and would consider a wood scale project, but the lack of already existing pimp jobs makes me think there's something in the construction of pinned knives that makes it too difficult. Pinning as such shouldn't be bad so maybe it's setting a correct tension for the pins that is the hard part? The wee Persian in particular would make a nice gents folder with polished edge and wooden scales.