stuck between purchases

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wmcilvain

stuck between purchases

Post by wmcilvain »

I can't decide between a manix 2 and a paramilitary 2…Help?

which one and why?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

This is a double post. We commented I the other one (even though it says 0 replies from the main overview page).
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Personally I don't care for either one and I have owned both. I have had two PM's , the original Manix that came from the Blade Show shottly after they were released, the Translucent Blue and a Manix 2 XL.
I didn't like the PM because of the compression lock that pinched me every time I opened it. The Manix in any form is too bulky but probably be my choice if the two if I was forced to buy one or the other and could find one with FFG Blade. I would take a Caly 3.5 10 to 1 over either one ..
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Personally I don't care for either one and I have owned both. I have had two PM's , the original Manix that came from the Blade Show shottly after they were released, the Translucent Blue and a Manix 2 XL.
I didn't like the PM because of the compression lock that pinched me every time I opened it. The Manix in any form is too bulky but probably be my choice if the two if I was forced to buy one or the other and could find one with FFG Blade. I would take a Caly 3.5 10 to 1 over either one ..
_centurio_

Post by _centurio_ »

Hey,

I own the Manix 2, Manix 2 XL and the PM 2. I do not like the Manix 2XL at the time (at the beginning I loved it). I love the normal sized Manix 2 and I like the PM2 very much. 2 great knives you can't go wrong with.

If I had to decide, I'd go for the Manix 2 S30V FFG. Because of the handle, the lock and the smoothness ;)

Oliver
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I have a Para2, Manix2 and Manix2 XL. I am interested in buying the Manix2 Lightweight.

My impression of Para2 vs. Manix2 is this-
The Manix2 is heavier and is a little taller so it takes more room in your pocket, but it feels a lot more solid.
The Para2 is trim and light.
Both have good locks and I have no problem operating either one with one hand.
If it is important to you, the Manix 2 is tip down only, the Para2 can be set up either way.

Note that the Para2 is harder to find and will cost a little bit more.

The Manix2 lightweight is very interesting and is light for its size.

The Manix2 XL is awesome and there are very few knives that can compare with it, but it is also pretty large.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

it all depends on what is your planned use for it, the ergonomics on the Para2 are hard to beat, but the Manix2 has a thicker blade. So it all depends what is it that you are going to cut or slice, now if weight is an issue the para is lighter but the manix feels sturdier. Now as far as resale options the para has many more buyers than the manix. You will end up getting both mark my words, just go for the Para first as it is harder to get.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
Sully

Post by Sully »

Para2 seems like the better one to start with now. One of the quintessential Spydercos, it seems. Plus, the compression lock came before the BBL, Sal before Eric. Not exactly the rationale you're looking for, but hope it helps.
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]