stuck between purchases

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wmcilvain

stuck between purchases

Post by wmcilvain »

I can't decide between a manix 2 and a paramilitary 2…Help?

which one and why?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The Para2 feels a bit more dimensionally efficient. The Manix2 is a bit fatter all around. There are people in both camps that love both knives. If pricing and availability aren't a problem the Para2 *seems* to be more universally received but we aren't privy to sales data so I could be wrong.

At the moment to get a Para2 it's going to cost you a premium. I would be tempted to buy the Manix2 until Spyderco gets caught up. You can get a cheaper knife from a quality dealer, ie save money by not supporting scalpers and know it's not a fake.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Whichever is available now at the best price and the knowledge that you will get the other eventually anyway.

I have both, and prefer the Manix 2. I prefer the blade shape, handle and lock making the Manix 2 the clear winner for me.

Bradley Folder 2 CPM M4
Military ​​​CTS XHP​ - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​
Para Military 2CTS​ XHP - CTS 204P
Manix 2 CTS XHP - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​ - CPM​ M4
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Both are great, but the Para 2 is the clear winner for me. I prefer the lock, blade shape, and handle shape. But they are hard to find.
:bug-red-white
Kylems11

Post by Kylems11 »

Those are my 2 favorite knives. I would buy them both i have doubles of each but if i were you i would buy the manix 2 lightweight first. The regular manix 2 is very heavy. Big weight difference. Then second would buy the pm2 and then the regular manix 2. Knifeworks.com have both in stock last i saw.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

To me at least, a FFG manix 2 is better in every way then a Para 2, and I've owned and handled many of both. A better, less problematic lock, and a better performing blade, about the same ergos, and a much cheaper price point. Keep in mind this is my opinion.
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

They're surprisingly different. I love my PM2, and really like the compression lock, but find the cbbl on my Manix LW slightly awkward, even though the lock-up feels remarkably solid. If disaster should befall and either were taken away, I would still be left with a great knife.
"Rules are for the adherence of fools, and the guidance of wise men". Except in a pandemic....
Military Kapara, Brouwer, UKPK (GIN1 CE, HH g10 & s110v), Delica IV SG, Caly 3 SE, Kiwi4, Lil Matriarch, Endura SG & SEW, Dragonfly Hap40, Manbug ZDP189 & SB, Ladybug 2, Vtoku & HB, Stretch HAP40, Squeak, Squeak Ti, Chicago440C, Ikuchi, Byrd Tern, Watu, Chaparral Stealth Ti, Manix XL & Rex45 G10, Shaman ZCarta, Wolfspyder, NC cf, N5 M4,
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

I think some people just don't know how to use the different locks and simply think one is harder than the other when is reality...

[video=youtube;2NvDvCmKuZs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NvDvCmKuZs[/video]
Bradley Folder 2 CPM M4
Military ​​​CTS XHP​ - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​
Para Military 2CTS​ XHP - CTS 204P
Manix 2 CTS XHP - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​ - CPM​ M4