Edge (play)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dbcad

Edge (play)

Post by dbcad »

Does anyone else get a bit obsessive about sharp edges :eek: ;)

The Native is running an SM 40° microbevel after 20 or so strokes on the UF stones, The PPT is running around the same, but the apex was put on using the DMT fine stone. The D'Fly and Urban have no micro bevel :eek:

All are extremely sharp and much more than adequate for my relatively light use :D The bounty of Spyderco materials and knowledge gained from this forum has overfilled my cup, yet I still strive for more, and always a bit sharper edge :eek:

The ability to manipulate this property of "sharp" is enormously gratifying :D

Who else shares this obsession?
Attachments
edge play1.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

So long as it cuts cleanly, I don't care.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
salmonkiller

Post by salmonkiller »

My wife is convinced I am obsessed.I am convinced that I can always get my knives sharper.I keep finding some twists and turns as I travel down the road.Good luck on your journey.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

For a while there, this is how I played with edges. :)

[video=youtube;mcwNRwQhHFw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcwNRwQhHFw[/video]
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

double post
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like my edc to be very sharp. I am obsessed. I consider whittling hair to be sharp enough and when it won't shave anymore to be dull. I have knives for camping that do not need to be that sharp because that isn't what they were designed for and I also find that level of sharpness to be less than ideal in the kitchen. My pocket knives on the other hand are laser beams.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I'm with you guys. The sharpmaker wasn't enough so I graduated to the edge pro. About half my knives now have a mirror polish. Anything in my pocket cuts like a light saber and I can't get enough. It took a lot of practice, trial and error but it's a skill I wouldn't want to be without.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
drichardson67

Post by drichardson67 »

I got the a Wicked Edge Propak 2 a couple of weeks ago, with extras. That alone probably qualifies me as obsessive. And now that the hones are breaking in, I'm getting some laser edges. I've been sharpening my knives for over 40 years, but I've never had edges like I'm beginning to get now. That Wicked Edge is an OCD's Nirvana. :rolleyes:
Cereal_killer

Post by Cereal_killer »

Not a spyderco but I just sharpened my Sebenza by hand on a spyderco stone I honed to be ultra fine. 18DPS, bevel set on my XC DMT then taken up threw EF on my Dia-sharps, after than onto my spyderco ceramic combo-stone. This is just from the stone, not yet stropped.

(Not the best pic, iphone and low light make it hard to get good edge pic's)

Some others I've done but only up to an un-lapped fine ceramic before stropping, I'll redo them now that my stone is finished.

GB also @ 18DPS

My fingers got pretty bad reprofiling the M4

More, sorry for the lack of spyder content
Sebbi/BM 707

Testing
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I'm with you, Charlie. Always trying for a sharper edge!
drichardson67 wrote:I got the a Wicked Edge Propak 2 a couple of weeks ago, with extras.
Just wait until you have all the Chosera, Super Stone, Shapton & Atoma sets ;) Now we're talking obsession! ;)

Ken
玉鋼
Nick D.

Post by Nick D. »

I'm with all of you gentlemen. I'm constantly fiddling with my knives trying to improve the edge. Although they'll shave hair and cut thin ribbons of paper with only a wisp of drag, I'm never satisfied. I also am looking at the Edge Pro.
De Profundous Ad Lucem!
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Love me some super thin grinds and steep super sharp edges :D

This one is 13 degrees per side with a 0.25 micron edge finish

this one is about 14 degrees per side polished to 5 microns with a 18dps microbevel at 600 grit

Love me some mirror edges and coarse microbevels

ill show you my latest mirror edge once I find a decent replacement for photobucket... they turned to ****e
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

[video=youtube;0zM2C4HQGTI]https://youtu.be/0zM2C4H ... hZ4v8XhaDA[/video]
bearfacedkiller

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Steepened this one up just a tad. Not sure how much because I did it by hand but now I just give it a few passes on the UF rods every couple of days at 30 degrees and it cuts very well. I carry it a lot. It mostly cuts apples so it stays very sharp. I usually have a second larger knife for harder use.

Straight out of my pocket it can whittle a white beard hair that I didn't need anyway. Lol!!!

-Darby
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

razorsharp wrote:[video=youtube;0zM2C4HQGTI]https://youtu.be/0zM2C4H ... hZ4v8XhaDA[/video]
Great looking mirror (as we have come to expect from you Travis).
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I've become obsessive about the sharpness I get. I think you could say I've always been amazed and desired sharp edges. I've also felt good about being able to sharpen a knife. I thought I was obsessive back then. I also thought I was getting my knives very sharp. And I was getting them sharp based on a non-knife person's expectation. Then I got more active in the knife hobby. All I wanted was a knife that would stay sharp longer. After getting over the shock of knife prices I bought some. Then I found out my old dirty stones wouldn't sharpen the harder steels. So after getting over the shock of sharpening stone prices ( :) ) I started buying stones, systems, strops, etc. As I was buying, selling, using tools trying to establish a set I was happy with I learned a lot about edges and how to get them. As dbcad said, I've learned tons from people on this forum. After putting all that together along with a lot of practice my edges got sharper and sharper. Also trying differen't angles on a given steel and/or for specific use in addition to just being sharp.

Now I am not happy with the knife in my pocket unless it is as sharp as I can get it. No more using my knife untill it was dull and almost useless. I will often just hit the edge of my EDC knives after carrying them with a Spyderco UF stone. Two - three passes will return the edge sharpness. When people consider my knife very, very sharp and I want to apologize because it isn't cutting good enough I think I have become obsessive.

I have learned there is much more to this sharpening game than just sharpness. You have edge angle, edge smoothness (or coarseness), bevel finish, multiple bevels, etc. Even though I am not an expert I can put an edge on a knife that is more appropriate for the intended use of the knife. This is very satisfying. But when someone changes an edge back bevel from 13° per side to 12° that is considered obsessive because they know it won't improve the performance enough to matter. Of course I would never do anything like that ( :) ) but some people would. :)

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

xceptnl wrote:Great looking mirror (as we have come to expect from you Travis).
Great mirror finish. in addition to seeing the reflection of the surroundings in the video I even think I saw a reflection of me sitting here watching. :D

Jack
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

xceptnl wrote:Great looking mirror (as we have come to expect from you Travis).
Great mirror finish. in addition to seeing the reflection of the surroundings in the video I even think I saw a reflection of me sitting here watching. :D

Jack
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

jackknifeh wrote:I've become obsessive about the sharpness I get. I think you could say I've always been amazed and desired sharp edges. I've also felt good about being able to sharpen a knife. I thought I was obsessive back then. I also thought I was getting my knives very sharp. And I was getting them sharp based on a non-knife person's expectation. Then I got more active in the knife hobby. All I wanted was a knife that would stay sharp longer. After getting over the shock of knife prices I bought some. Then I found out my old dirty stones wouldn't sharpen the harder steels. So after getting over the shock of sharpening stone prices ( :) ) I started buying stones, systems, strops, etc. As I was buying, selling, using tools trying to establish a set I was happy with I learned a lot about edges and how to get them. As dbcad said, I've learned tons from people on this forum. After putting all that together along with a lot of practice my edges got sharper and sharper. Also trying differen't angles on a given steel and/or for specific use in addition to just being sharp.

Now I am not happy with the knife in my pocket unless it is as sharp as I can get it. No more using my knife untill it was dull and almost useless. I will often just hit the edge of my EDC knives after carrying them with a Spyderco UF stone. Two - three passes will return the edge sharpness. When people consider my knife very, very sharp and I want to apologize because it isn't cutting good enough I think I have become obsessive.

I have learned there is much more to this sharpening game than just sharpness. You have edge angle, edge smoothness (or coarseness), bevel finish, multiple bevels, etc. Even though I am not an expert I can put an edge on a knife that is more appropriate for the intended use of the knife. This is very satisfying. But when someone changes an edge back bevel from 13° per side to 12° that is considered obsessive because they know it won't improve the performance enough to matter. Of course I would never do anything like that ( :) ) but some people would. :)

Jack
Your story and mine are quite similar Jack :) The real fun is that the journey never really ends :eek: So many other factors like material, geometry, surface finish, interaction of sharpening medium and blade material etc................ continue to chime in and keep the lessons much more interesting than just making edges meeting in the middle :D

Sharpening is a very satisfying and useful skill to have in your set :D

Anyone new challenged in sharpening as I was:

Get a Sharpmaker, lose your fear, and over time enjoy your edges. It's a journey as enjoyable as the knives themselves :D
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]