Amsterdam Meet 2014 Report of Upcoming Spyderco Prototypes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nccole

Post by nccole »

paladin wrote:+1 on TipDownWireClips , it would be a bear to engineer around most pivots however I bet...

I'm guessing the scales on the PITS are stainless? Really like the beveled forward faces on the front of the scales where blade/scale transition meets in open position...nice touch!
PITS is Ti per Sal on BF. I am a little bummed as the price may be a bit more than I want to spend on a SLIPIT.
Blue Possum

Post by Blue Possum »

Roadie and PITS - now that gets the blood flowing. But I agree with the previous comment on the paperclip-please no.
Blue Possum
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Love the wire clip.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

Wow. This is such an impressive lineup.

I have the most recent tanto (the burgandy), and it is beautiful and comfortable and the fit and finish are perfect. I look forward to checking out that new lum tanto.

I find that TSA knife very very intersting. Looks very small and lightweight with an extremely low profile. It reminds me of nail-nick knives, which i am not fond of, but that spydie-"dimple" might just remedy my issues with nail-nicks.
So many spydies, not enough pockets.

"No one else could ever be admitted here, since this gate was made only for you. I am now going to shut it." Before the Law, Franz Kafka

Spydernation #1990
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The PITS knife looks like a fancy non locking tenacious. Sign me up and how! Canada doesn't have any laws agains locking knives, but I'll still get this blade. I find slipits to be incredibly useful tools. Not every task needs a lock, I'd even go as far as saying most don't.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Mallus

Post by Mallus »

I don't know what's up with the PITS, but it's very tempting despite it's lack of lock and that I don't generally fancy metal handles! Maybe it's the holes in the handle with their promise of making it less slippery? I like the wire clip on it too, both from visual and functional points of view. Somehow the stamped clips tend to dig into my palms when whittling or during some other more strenuous tasks any longer period.

I wonder if the design could possibly yield to integral compression lock in the future, à la ATR?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Liquid Cobra wrote:The PITS knife looks like a fancy non locking tenacious. Sign me up and how! Canada doesn't have any laws agains locking knives, but I'll still get this blade. I find slipits to be incredibly useful tools. Not every task needs a lock, I'd even go as far as saying most don't.
I've had work situations where locks actually slow me down because I have to frequently draw/open/cutcut/close/pocket, but i think in those situations I would actually prefer a friction folder over a traditional slipit that has a very strong detent and stiff opening. Of course a small fixed blade would be even better, but I enjoy my folders. I found that a compression lock worked best for those times if I was going to have a lock at all since you can drop the blade closed without having to touch it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Not every task needs a lock, I'd even go as far as saying most don't.
From an "immobilizes the blade" POV, I agree with you. What I like about locking knives is how smooth the action can be, especially with liner/frame/comp/bbl etc locks. It really enhances the "knife using experience" (seriously? ;) ) Okay, but you know what I mean. All the slipits I've tried were much stiffer than, say, the Cento Memory. I just like that a lot better.

Ken
玉鋼
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

kbuzbee wrote:From an "immobilizes the blade" POV, I agree with you. What I like about locking knives is how smooth the action can be, especially with liner/frame/comp/bbl etc locks. It really enhances the "knife using experience" (seriously? ;) ) Okay, but you know what I mean. All the slipits I've tried were much stiffer than, say, the Cento Memory. I just like that a lot better.

Ken
Exactly Ken, it's a lot easier to build a locking folder that's easy to open and also easy to close once the lock is released than to build a slipjoint that opens easily but has enough resistance to closing to inspire confidence. The T-Mag opened easily, but its blade also started to swing shut if you breathed on it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
earthman

Post by earthman »

Blue Possum wrote:Roadie and PITS - now that gets the blood flowing. But I agree with the previous comment on the paperclip-please no.
Liquid Cobra wrote:Love the wire clip.
I think the first knife that I bought, that had a wire clip was a G10 UKPK, I really didn't like it, so wished that it had a solid clip, I really like the one that's on my Manix for example. Anyhow, after carrying it in my pocket for X amount of time I kind of got use to it, I know own a Ti UKPK and Tern, they have a wire clip too.

For us guys in the UK who don't want to advertise that we are carrying a knife, I think that it's a pretty good design of clip really.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I thought the PITS was an A.T.R sprint or a second generation model and started panicking :p . It still looks amazing and I'll check if out. The Slipit part is a bit (personally) disappointing but it makes sense. :)
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2014 Production Prototype – Serge Panchenko Roc

Post by Mr Blonde »

I’m afraid I don’t remember many details about the Roc by Serge Panchenko, as I focused on photographing all those knives that came by my table at the Meet. The Roc has a striking look, but the ergos were very good. I’m sure my fellow attendees can share more details about the Roc prototype.

My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 5-30-2024 Instagram
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2014 Production Sample – Peter Carey Rubicon

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Peter Carey Rubicon was just a beautiful custom folder….made by Spyderco. I’m not a big custom knife expert, but this knife had me do a double take to make sure this wasn’t the original custom knife, being used as a concept model. The Rubicon pictured here was a production sample.

I remember it being a solid feeling folder, without it being too heavy. The lines of this flipper design were very striking, with an orange G-10 accent around the pivot and an orange G-10 spacer. The handle was made of full carbon fiber scales that were rounded for a more 3D ergonomic grip.

The approximate specifications of the Rubicon are:

Overall Length: 19 cm / 7.48 inches
Edge Length: 7,5 cm / 2.95 inches
Blade Length: 7,8 cm / 3.07 inches
Blade Thickness: 0,35 cm / 0.14 inches

Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2014 Production Prototype – Slysz Bowie

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Slysz Bowie folder was a very attractive folder to me. It’s a straightforward 'simple' folding knife design, but it had some refined touches.

The spine of the blade was rounded. The integral lock operated very smooth and the blade locked up very well. There's also a G-10 spacer that features jimping to enhance the grip. Compared to Slysz’s Techno design, this seemed like a much more light and elegant design. Still, this Bowie folder looked and handled like it should be a hard working knife.

Unfortunately, we didn’t get around to taking some measurements of the Slysz Bowie. I recall the blade being in the 3.2 – 3.5 inch territory, but I could be off on that. I can’t wait to see this design hitting production and becoming available. I want one!

Raylas

Post by Raylas »

Love the Roc, only wish it wasn't bead blasted.....
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I'm working on one more batch for tomorrow and then I covered all the protos I could share, unfortunately. :)
Invective

Post by Invective »

Holy cow that Rubicon looks amazing :eek:

I never knew it until now but I need one
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

That Peter Carey Rubicon looks awesome! I may be wrong, but this will be the first solid CF knife coming out of Taiwan, correct? I believe they have all been laminates until now.

I've also liked the Roc ever since I first saw it and will certainly be picking one up. I've already got a few ideas for replacing those plain black scales... :D
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
nccole

Post by nccole »

The Peter Carey Rubicon will probably be a hot one. It is a bit small for me personally, but I will most likely have one. The Slysz Bowie looks really nice. Nothing stands out as "gotta have" it though. It's bigger size, wire clip, and simplicity may make it one I grab.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

So far the only compression lock shown is on a knife that will never be available? :(

@liquid_cobra