Spyderco Stretch "issue"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Strong-Dog

Spyderco Stretch "issue"

Post by Strong-Dog »

I want to preface this that the word "issue" is used lightly, as I use my knives and this doesn't affect that. However, on a Stretch I received maybe a year ago (in ZDP and FRN), it seems as if the the FRN up by the front choil is slightly oversized, so that it rubs on the blade and adds a lot of extra friction. No big deal, and since then I got another Stretch of the same variety and it didn't have this issue. Today, I got my Superblue Stretch in, and exactly the same thing happens.

So, do I just have bad luck? Or has anyone else experienced this? Thanks
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I can see daylight on both sides of the blade, forward of the pivots, on my blue FRN/ZDP one and all of my black FRN ones. That's not the case with my green FRN/ZDP Stretch, its blade appears to rub on the FRN. I can think of two possible causes. First would be one cavity in the gang mold being a bit deeper than the other. Second would be slight variations in the thickness of the steel liners. Either could result in the "lip" on the FRN scales extending past the liners for more than the thickness of the washers. OTOH, at least in my case, I can't say there's any noticeable difference in opening/closing resistance.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

The Deacon wrote:I can see daylight on both sides of the blade, forward of the pivots, on my blue FRN/ZDP one and all of my black FRN ones. That's not the case with my green FRN/ZDP Stretch, its blade appears to rub on the FRN. I can think of two possible causes. First would be one cavity in the gang mold being a bit deeper than the other. Second would be slight variations in the thickness of the steel liners. Either could result in the "lip" on the FRN scales extending past the liners for more than the thickness of the washers. OTOH, at least in my case, I can't say there's any noticeable difference in opening/closing resistance.
That's exactly what's happening to me, just explained much better. I guess the difference is I can feel all of the extra friction from the FRN rubbing
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am not noticing any extra friction but the 420j2 which scratches very easy is showing the rubbing.

Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I am not noticing any extra friction but the 420j2 which scratches very easy is showing the rubbing.
I've owned a gray VG-10 endura, and a VG-10 delica. Didn't have this. Handled my friend's VG-10 delica, didn't have this. Currently have a Superblue endura, doesn't have this. I have two ZDP Stretches, one of them has this where the friction from rubbing affects opening. Just got my Superblue Stretch, also has this where the FRN friction affects opening. O well. Doesn't affect usefulness, but now I know that these knives don't have the potential to wear in to the point of dropping when the lock is disengaged like my old VG-10 endura.

-Henry Hill
bearfacedkiller

It doesn't change how much I like the color of the frn or how much I like the super blue. I also love black clips and swap most of mine so this knife coming with a black clip is a plus. The only thing I don't like is how easy the 420j2 scratches but that really is the last thing I worry about.

I really love this knife!
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

bearfacedkiller wrote:It doesn't change how much I like the color of the frn or how much I like the super blue. I also love black clips and swap most of mine so this knife coming with a black clip is a plus. The only thing I don't like is how easy the 420j2 scratches but that really is the last thing I worry about.

I really love this knife!
Ditto. In terms of overall design, the Stretch is probably my favorite knife. Plus, I really love Superblue. Easy to sharpen, gets ridiculously sharp, and holds that fine edge for a long time.

-Henry Hill
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Don't use it on Salami..it might get a scratch..
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Philo Beddoe wrote:Don't use it on Salami..it might get a scratch..
I think that's common knowledge around here! ;)
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

philo beddoe wrote:don't use it on salami..it might get a scratch..
Haha I won't

-Henry Hill
Blackhawk30

Post by Blackhawk30 »

Most knives get rub marks in that area.I think its unusual NOT to have rub marks.My Delica, which I've carried for 2 years has rub marks like that.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Blackhawk30 wrote:Most knives get rub marks in that area.I think its unusual NOT to have rub marks.My Delica, which I've carried for 2 years has rub marks like that.
Every FRN knife I own has rub marks, but only the Stretches have excessive friction while opening from the FRN

-Henry Hill
bearfacedkiller

I haven't had a lot of frn knives because I used to think I didn't like them but this is the only one I have had that has shown rub marks. I assumed it was that the 420j2 just showed it more than the vg10 or zdp.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Maybe the knife needs to be lubed and you're mistaking that for friction caused by the FRN?
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

Cujobob wrote:Maybe the knife needs to be lubed and you're mistaking that for friction caused by the FRN?
No, it's definitely friction caused by the FRN. I've lubed it, taken it apart, even tried to sand the FRN down and that helped a little. On my Endura I can see space in between the liners and the ricasso, on the Stretches I can't and it just feels like it's rubbing on the FRN

-Henry Hill
Barkdog

Post by Barkdog »

I had that 'rub' (FRN on blade, when opening) w/ my VG-10 Stretch 2. A little careful sanding took care of it, permanently (and dramatically increased the opening speed!). It's the only FRN Spyderco that I've had w/ this issue - and now that it's fixed, doesn't bother me at all (and yes I love my stretch 2).
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

-Henry Hill
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

I got stretch marks also!!!! I noticed it right away when I got my ZDP189 stretch, I let up some tension from pivot but didn't help much. I took it apart and I was thinking it was the FRN but it is actually the blade, maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me but the bottom part of the blade where the jimping is, it just seems a little thicker. With mine the friction don't start until it hits that part, but it doesn't affect its ability.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE