Tactical folder by Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
akapennypincher

Tactical folder by Spyderco

Post by akapennypincher »

Nephew is going to be deployed, and I want to send him away with a Dependable, Sturdy, and last Spyderco Tactical folder.

Suggestions
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Get him a Military. That's what it was designed for.

My other suggestion would be a Manix XL. But if he's carrying his gear, the Military is lighter.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

TomAiello wrote:Get him a Military. That's what it was designed for.

My other suggestion would be a Manix XL. But if he's carrying his gear, the Military is lighter.
I'd suggest either of those two as well, except if I were deployed I'd want the Manix XL. Just preference though
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Get him a Military. That's what it was designed for.

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Strong-Dog wrote:I'd suggest either of those two as well, except if I were deployed I'd want the Manix XL. Just preference though
I prefer the Manix XL to the military personally as well. I just know that when your gear is moving by calorie power, ounces can feel like tons.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

I would take a Manix 2 XL for a folder and a good robust 6-7" fixed blade.

Cameron
Bradley Folder 2 CPM M4
Military ​​​CTS XHP​ - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​
Para Military 2CTS​ XHP - CTS 204P
Manix 2 CTS XHP - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​ - CPM​ M4
Clip

Post by Clip »

I'd prefer the Military, but never had the chance to play with the M2XL
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Icky Thump

Post by Icky Thump »

Manix 2 XL, nice knife. Broad/wide when closed. Holster/pouch would make carry easier/more efficient...more real estate used. Military and Para would work well. I like the Gayle Bradley for this role. Stout, slim when closed. Strong tip, more versatile blade shape. Only hit I can think of is traction of scales. Easy enough mod, done right in the field if need be.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Military or pm2. Personally I would prefer the Millie if I were shipping out. One suggestion...a cool small engraving might be nice. Nothing crazy, just a little something to remind him of home. :)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Icky Thump wrote:I like the Gayle Bradley for this role. Stout, slim when closed. Strong tip, more versatile blade shape. Only hit I can think of is traction of scales. Easy enough mod, done right in the field if need be.
I wouldn't want to send a non-stainless blade off on deployment with a young soldier without knowing if he was a "knife guy" and if he would be in a position to take care of it.
shu

Post by shu »

Non-stainless is a non-issue... GI's have carried 1095 et al for decades without issue. Military life is about constant maintenance--rifles, gear, barracks, everything. If maintaining a pocket knife is too much it's unlikely they will thrive in a service environment.

I carried a variety of knives during my tour but if I had to do it again I would take an Endura (C10FG). Big enough to handle just about everything, small and light enough not to get left behind, and doesn't cost enough to feel bad about when it gets lost or damaged.
All-R-Crazy

Post by All-R-Crazy »

I would suggest the endura.
:spyder: delica ffg,endura ffg,pm2 black/black,delica sb,caly3.5 g10,caly3 sb,S90V military:spyder:
JAfromMN wrote:My favorite Spyderco is the one that I used the most Today
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

I began a similar thread roughly a year ago. The best advice I got was a Serrated Edge Pacific Salt. By nature, the serrations have more surface area and dull less quickly than a plain edge. Likewise the serrated edges of the H1 Steel are work hardened and are slower to dull than most all other serrated edged steels. These two attributes mean the blade would require infrequent sharpening or maybe none at all. Depending on what sharpening education your nephew has, the Serrated H1 may be the best bet, as it may not need sharpening during his entire deployment, and would remain sharp and usable during his time overseas. It is also inexpensive enough he could "abuse" it without remorse. I'd recommend this inexpensive, low-maintenance, rust-proof, incredibly sharp blade.

Please thank him for his service for me.
James
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I would agree with many above, the Military would be pound for pound very hard to beat. I sent a good friend to war with a solid fixed blade and a folder years ago. Neither returned from the desert, but he did tell me the folder gave out long before he had to sharpen the fixed blade. Perhaps looking into a Southfork, Temperance II, or Schempp Rock could be a more solid and dependable option. I know I wouldn't go without both a folder and a fixed blade, but the FB would be a MUST HAVE.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Having deployed a couple times myself (USAF) I'd get a Manix 2 LW. It's very strong but only weighs 3 oz. The Manix 2 XL and the full size Millie are huge, and would get in the way. The Manix 2 LW is also thin enough to clip in the waist band of PT Shorts / PT Pants when off duty. He could even throw it on his dog tag chain in the showers. The CBB lock on the Manix 2 LW is easier to close one handed than a back lock, which is also important in a duty knife. The Para 2 at just under four ounces would be my very close second choice. Otherwise I like the Salt suggestions for the thin profile, light weight, and corrosion proof blade.
jeru

Post by jeru »

The Spyderco Military is my GOAT production EDC. I am EDC'ing one (of my four Millies) almost non-stop since 2008. The handling- and carrying-comfort is almost unprecedented, same can be said about its weight: 4.2 ounces(!?) for the standard G10 Millie. And with those 4.2 ounces you get one of the most (if not the most) utilitarian 4 inch S30V blades money can buy below 200 USD, in my humble opinion.

That said, personally I'd rather deploy with a fixed blade and a multi-tool though. I'm thinking about a Survive! GSO 4.1 in CPM 3V and a Victorinox Swisstool RS. Or if the GSO 4.1 is above your budget, for half the price I would go with an ESEE-4. Still, if I could only pick one, I'd deploy with a Swisstool RS.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Personally I would recommend the Tuff for the stouter tip and the prying ability.

If I am going to veer way out into other suggestions, A leatherman Charge TTI, and an Esse Izula2

I recommend the tuff the msot though :p
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

vaisforlovers wrote:I began a similar thread roughly a year ago. The best advice I got was a Serrated Edge Pacific Salt. By nature, the serrations have more surface area and dull less quickly than a plain edge. Likewise the serrated edges of the H1 Steel are work hardened and are slower to dull than most all other serrated edged steels. These two attributes mean the blade would require infrequent sharpening or maybe none at all. Depending on what sharpening education your nephew has, the Serrated H1 may be the best bet, as it may not need sharpening during his entire deployment, and would remain sharp and usable during his time overseas. It is also inexpensive enough he could "abuse" it without remorse. I'd recommend this inexpensive, low-maintenance, rust-proof, incredibly sharp blade.

Please thank him for his service for me.
James
H1 has to be the forgotten ticket
salmonkiller

Post by salmonkiller »

Military
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Another vote for the Military model.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder: