Schempp knives..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jmh58

Schempp knives..

Post by jmh58 »

So as I was sitting watching tv and fondeling my CF Balance I thought this Schempp dude designed a cool little knife.. So while looking thru the catalog I noticed that 2 of the "Some Day" knives on my list (Tuff, Rock) were also Schempp designed!! Seems he has my style in designing!! And the Equilibrium too.. Did I miss any?? John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Ha, yes there are quite a few more Schempp designs out there. I'm not the one to list them, but others will chime in shortly.
NeverEnough

Post by NeverEnough »

... c83 persian(bolstered micarta,bolstered g10,ffg black g10),mini persian (bolstered micarta,ffg black g10),kris,barong,kukhuri,rock salt,schempp rock,navaja,balance(cf,ss),tuff and equilibrium ...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm sure more in the works, but:

* Persian micarta/large (disc)
* Persian 79mm micarta (disc)
* Persian micarta/large red sprint (disc)
* Kris (disc)
* Barong (disc)
* Khukuri (disc)
* Persian 2 large g10 (disc)
* Persian 2 79mm g10 (disc)
* Rock Salt (disc)
* Balance cf (disc)
* Balance SS (disc)

* Equilibrium
* Navaja
* Schempp Rock
* Tuff

Edit: Never beat me! :o
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Blerv wrote: * Persian micarta/large red sprint (disc)
This is actually buffed red G-10, not Micarta.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

jabba359 wrote:This is actually buffed red G-10, not Micarta.
Oh of course! I was on auto-pilot :) . Thanks Kyle~
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I'm pretty big into Schempp designs myself...

Not pictured: the Equilibrium.
:bug-red-white
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Sal and Eric showed two new Schempp designs in Amsterdam today.
The Frontier, was a kind of mix of the handle of the big Persian with a modified blade of the Navaja; bolsters, CF and wired clip.
And the Retract, looked like a slightly bigger Khukuri without a choil.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

gbelleh wrote:I'm pretty big into Schempp designs myself...

Not pictured: the Equilibrium.
Thanks all for the info!! And the pice too!! WOW!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

MarcusH wrote:Sal and Eric showed two new Schempp designs in Amsterdam today.
The Frontier, was a kind of mix of the handle of the big Persian with a modified blade of the Navaja; bolsters, CF and wired clip.
And the Retract, looked like a slightly bigger Khukuri without a choil.
Both of those tidbits are amazing.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Invective

Post by Invective »

MarcusH wrote:And the Retract, looked like a slightly bigger Khukuri without a choil.
Oh my this is amazing news *drool*

I really regret having to sell my Khuk, so I will definitely be picking this one up when it comes out!
BD583

Post by BD583 »

The two best Ed Schempp knives (and two of the best Spyderco knives) are the Barong (C124) and the Khukuri (Kuhkri) (C125). They are worth the hunt and the price to add to your Spyderco or Schempp collection.
Prof68

Post by Prof68 »

jabba359 wrote:This is actually buffed red G-10, not Micarta.
This knife has been on my wish list for a long time, and I had no idea that this was the case. Guess I always just assumed it was the same as the C83 and C105. Do any other Spyderco models use buffed G-10? Does it have a similar feel to Micarta?
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Hang on, feeling them now.
I would say that, yes the polished or buffed G-10 & micarta feel very similar but the micarta is a little sort of dryer, grippier.
Then the main grip is the hand hugging shape of the big Persian C83 & not so much the scale material.
O.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

BD583 wrote:the Khukuri (Kuhkri) (C125).
This is the only knife in recent history I didn't buy and wish I had. Maybe we'll see a sprint run

Ken
玉鋼
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I like few of Ed Schempp designs, but only original C83 made to my top three list. I carried it daily for many years. Still carry it, but mostly on weekends. I used to own five of them :) (plus four sprints).
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Prof68

Post by Prof68 »

O,just,O wrote:Hang on, feeling them now.
I would say that, yes the polished or buffed G-10 & micarta feel very similar but the micarta is a little sort of dryer, grippier.
Then the main grip is the hand hugging shape of the big Persian C83 & not so much the scale material.
O.
Heh, thanks. Never miss out on an opportunity to fondle your knives, I say. (Although not too loudly, because it tends to scare people.) Seriously, I appreciate the info.

Really looking forward to the Frontier, as previewed at the Amsterdam Meet. I'm not quite sure why it's part of the Ethnic Series, seeing as the Bowie design is quintessentially American, but it looks so great I'm certainly not going to quibble.
Mallus

Post by Mallus »

I have a couple of Schempps, a Khukuri, Rock Salt and a G10 Mini Persian. I sure like the design of those knives, even if there are a few nit to pick: The sharp point over the trademark hole in Rock Salt bugs me when I choke up on the blade, and the grind in Khukuri if way too fat - it's not a chopping blade despite its historical ideals.

I'm very glad that the Frontier is of very thin stock (2 mm), even if I would have preferred it with a high edge stability steel instead of the high carbide volume steel chosen(S30V). I hope the design does well enough in the market to warrant a sprint run with a steel more to my liking. :)

The upper blade guard looks to be sneaking bites from the table of ergonomics, especially in hammer grip with index finger on the front choil - a bit like with the Rock Salt. I wonder why Ed does this? I'm not much of a whittler, but any time I put a point to a stake I try and grip the knife as close to the cutting edge as possible for maximum leverage. Anything that impedes with this feels funny to me, especially if it doesn't serve any other usable function. Sure, I understand that some see a thumb rest as somehow useful, but having grown with puukko in my hand (no fingerguard, no choil), I consider it largely unnecessary. I mean, how many time do you need to stab anything vs. whittle something? And further, both Rock Salt and Frontier have very contoured scales and are not likely to slip even if they had no thumb rest at all.
derrelw

Post by derrelw »

Ed is not only a world class designer but also a world class act, a very good guy.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

derrelw wrote:Ed is not only a world class designer but also a world class act, a very good guy.
+1 and a wheat farmer too.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.