What type and size driver for the pocket clip screws ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
coonan

What type and size driver for the pocket clip screws ?

Post by coonan »

Thanks
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

T6 Torx for standard clips, or T8 for wire clips. I'm not sure if that covers 100%, but it covers everything I have.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Size is a Torx T6 for most clips. Most guys here seem to favor the Wiha brand drivers. I still use the Blue Box knife tools from Spyderco's butterfly logo competitor. Any Torx T6 or T5 through T10 set from a reputable tool brand will handle most knife screws.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Home Depot.. Husky HD-74502 AB.. Its about 6-7$$.. I got 2 of these and they work just fine.. John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
coonan

Post by coonan »

To home depot I go thanks people
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

coonan wrote:To home depot I go thanks people
There is a similar tool available at Lowes.

If you get into some of the screws that are loctited into place, that is where you need a better driver. I've read too many stories of the tools and screws getting stripped while using inferior tools.
opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

Well in my experience I got a set from Lowes Kobalt brand and they work ok but not very good quality I bent the T6 tips, I also got a titan its better quality but not that great either, still looking for a better quality set of Torx screwdrivers or keys. Spyderco should sell their own brand Torx key set with better tool steel.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bdblue wrote:There is a similar tool available at Lowes.

If you get into some of the screws that are loctited into place, that is where you need a better driver. I've read too many stories of the tools and screws getting stripped while using inferior tools.
Or just poor technique. I've been tinkering with small mechanical devices for about sixty years and, in my experience, brute force and small fittings almost never play well together. If a screw won't turn with reasonable force, assume thread locker has been used, apply some heat, and try again. I've been using the same Home Depot Husky HD-74502 set for nine years and the T-6 driver has loosened a few dozen clips in that time without damaging itself or any screws. That's not to say there aren't some inferior tools out there, just that, IMHO, the Husky set is not one of them. Wiha tools are great for someone who'll get a lot of use out of them, but for someone whose only use is to move (or remove) an occasional clip, the Husky is perfectly capable of doing the job.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sig Savvy

Post by Sig Savvy »

I used a little screwdriver called a Teeny Turner. It has multiple mini bits and seemed to do the trick. The thick handle helped a lot. I would agree that technique plays a huge part in trashing or not trashing hardware and tools. I turn with the least amount of force and speed to get the screws to loosen a bit and then it's fine. Knowing when to stop tightening is a trick but I try to stop just before I think it's "tight enough". Giving it that last bit of torque is usually the death turn for me..
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

opusxpn wrote:Well in my experience I got a set from Lowes Kobalt brand and they work ok but not very good quality I bent the T6 tips, I also got a titan its better quality but not that great either, still looking for a better quality set of Torx screwdrivers or keys. Spyderco should sell their own brand Torx key set with better tool steel.
Wiha is supposed to be one of the best. I got this set on ebay for about $15. (I thought I was being smart by buying a set that had twice as many tips of each size.)