Most anticipated knife from the Amsterdam meet?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

The Ark and Kiwi. That's it so far.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

So far, I just need 1

... of everything :) .

I was able to talk to Gayle Bradley at the Lone Star Symposium last year and he discussed the possibility of 2 fixed blade collaborations with Spyderco, glad to see this one coming out!
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Paynter

Post by Paynter »

Of the ones we've seen: Dice and Lil'LionSpy
nccole

Post by nccole »

The Firefly is growing on me, we will see. The Battlestation is still a big no go for me. The Chubby needs to be held first. That sentence sounds a bit wierd :rolleyes: If I grab a Dice, it will be given to my wife. The Lil'LionSpy may be my first Italian Spydie. I like the 10V folder, but not digging the 4.5" monster part of it, it will be heavy too. The Bradley fixed blade looks good. With all that being said, the little Dog Tag will be the most likely to be picked up.
salmonkiller

Post by salmonkiller »

Are there any new models from Golden?
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

salmonkiller wrote:Are there any new models from Golden?

There is still quite a few to go so maybe. Then again the Golden plant has been at capacity for awhile now...paramilitary model still isn't exactly abundant. I'm with others in that I'd love to see another knife with a compression lock.

Grizz
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Bradley fixed and Kiwi for sure, Firefly maybe ...

Gordon
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Popsickle wrote:burch chubby, s110v lightweight manix 2, frontier, marcin slyzs bowie........ still too early to make a complete list. all I know is its a good time to be a spyderco fan! Looks like Taichung is taking on a massive word load!
Looking forward to seeing that one. Only seen it with a nail nick or stud so I'm trying to imagine it with a hole.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

So far I'm liking the Burch Chubby and the Serge Dog Tag the most. Might pick up a super blue D-fly.

I have one nitpicky question about the Dice and that is why do we need 3 standoffs on such a small knife? Seems to me like a waste of parts and labor and unnecessarily clutters up the back side of the knife. With 2 slabs of Ti it should be plenty strong without that 3rd standoff (ex. Sage 2). I will probably pick up a dice when it comes out but there may be some modding in its future.
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

senorsquare wrote:So far I'm liking the Burch Chubby and the Serge Dog Tag the most. Might pick up a super blue D-fly.

I have one nitpicky question about the Dice and that is why do we need 3 standoffs on such a small knife? Seems to me like a waste of parts and labor and unnecessarily clutters up the back side of the knife. With 2 slabs of Ti it should be plenty strong without that 3rd standoff (ex. Sage 2). I will probably pick up a dice when it comes out but there may be some modding in its future.
Along that same vein, The K2 only has 2 screws for being such a beast. Pivot and the bottom of the handle. It makes for a clean looking knife but it is not what I am used to seeing. Even the chubby has one more. I would like to see a pic of the K2 along the back, I wonder if is open or has hidden standoffs or a backspacer like the techno.

Grizz
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

I really like the look of the Chubby, but the more I look the more I wonder. It doesn't look like it would be easy to unlock. There is no cutout for the thumb to catch the lockbar, and the lockbar only appears to stick out just a little past the other scale. I wonder how sharp that edge will be, and how comfortable to use?

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The chubby confuses me like the techno. Why do you need blade stock so thick on a blade so small? Not bashing, just curious. The reviews I have read of the techno have been good and people seem to like it. I would like to see more longer blades with thinner stock and am confused why you would need 4-4.5 mm stock on 2-2.5 inch blades. It looks as though the frontier may actually be 2mm stock on a 3.5 inch blade and if this is true that is exciting for me(except the s30v and tip up). The grind on the chubby looks nice as does the style of the knife in general but if it is 4.5 mm stock than I have to assume it is just to give the feel of beefiness even if it is not needed.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

gdwtvb wrote:I really like the look of the Chubby, but the more I look the more I wonder. It doesn't look like it would be easy to unlock. There is no cutout for the thumb to catch the lockbar, and the lockbar only appears to stick out just a little past the other scale. I wonder how sharp that edge will be, and how comfortable to use?
I would think the larger gap between the frames created by the blade stock would make it easier to get between and disengage. Just my $.02
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Luckily for my finances there are only 2 I'm interested in - the new Kiwi and the Firefly. Sadly I've still not gotten the Domino that I dearly want so I'm still behind.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

bearfacedkiller wrote:The chubby confuses me like the techno. Why do you need blade stock so thick on a blade so small? Not bashing, just curious. The reviews I have read of the techno have been good and people seem to like it. I would like to see more longer blades with thinner stock and am confused why you would need 4-4.5 mm stock on 2-2.5 inch blades. It looks as though the frontier may actually be 2mm stock on a 3.5 inch blade and if this is true that is exciting for me(except the s30v and tip up). The grind on the chubby looks nice as does the style of the knife in general but if it is 4.5 mm stock than I have to assume it is just to give the feel of beefiness even if it is not needed.
I actually 100% agree with you...even though I EDC a Techno. It has been more than just a few years ago that I stopped liking and using thicker blades. Once I grew up and stopped trying to use a knife as a screwdriver, I paid greater attention to how my knives actually work. Thick blade stock isn't real good at cutting apples, cardboard, and many other things. I thought it was a giant step backward when Chris Reeve introduced the Umnumzaan with a thicker bladestock than the Sebenza...I think it was a decision based on what sells instead of what works best. (Look at the popularity of ZT, strider, and you understand that many people are fans of 'sharpened prybars.')

As far as the techno, it's thickness is somewhat mitigated by a wide blade with a full flat grind. Part of its charm is fact that it feels like a solid little tank. If they went with a thinner blade material, then they would need to compensate with thicker ti stock for the liners. Honestly, I carry it mostly for looks, and second because it was designed by a Polish knifemaker. (I am of Polish descent, last name Rzepkowski.) I carry other knives for the things the techno can't handle. (It is horrible at cutting a sub sandwich in half.) Yes I know I could just not carry the techno and then I wouldn't to carry more than one knife...which is ridiculous, between my pockets and my bag, I have 6 or more blades available at any time. My wife says I'm not right either.

Spyderco sells lot's of knives that are primarily designed to work well...more than most other makers. If a company is to be successful, they also must make things that people want. I don't think a Chubby will cut anything better than some of the knives I already own. Honestly a dragonfly will most probably outcut it, carry better, be more comfortable to use, cost less, etc. Still, I like the way it looks, and will probably end up getting one. At least I am aware that I'm a hypocrite.

Grizz
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I like this thread but I'm waiting until all the knives have been posted to make my decision.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

There are so many crazy models in the works (and in the mid-year supplement) it's tough to keep up!

Of the ones shown by Wouter though, the odd ones like the Introvert and Dogtag are instabuys for me. The others are surely tempting, just practical enough to take a moment and consider them. :p
Mutt

Post by Mutt »

I've looked at this thread a couple times on different forums and I can't find anything I'm more psyched about than the frontier. The bigger they make it the better. The K2 is bigger but it's a frame lock and I'll take a liner lock over frame lock EVERY time. The dog tag is interesting if you want a small knife. The Dice, yo guys I want a bigger Domino not a smaller one. I know that a" three finger knife " is all the rage, but I want an all four fingers and my thumb knife thank you all the same. And please don't quote some insanely stupid law about blade length i know manufacturers have to worry about these things.
1965ford

Post by 1965ford »

For some reason I like the Chubby even though I don't normally like short stubby blade designs. Not sure that I could tell the wife that I got a chubby from Spyderco though, she thinks I have a knife problem as it is.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

1965ford wrote:For some reason I like the Chubby even though I don't normally like short stubby blade designs. Not sure that I could tell the wife that I got a chubby from Spyderco though, she thinks I have a knife problem as it is.
Hahahaha hilarious.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra