Matriarch 2 EDC?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
thelock

Post by thelock »

I do not own the knife, but just by looking at it I think it is just a collectors piece, a beautiful knife. People say it is a self defense knife, but if it can't handle EDC use, then how can it handle being used in self defense (God forbid)?! Imagine yourself fighting against somebody with a thick jacket or something. The strongest point of this knife and the civilian in my opinion is the intimidation factor, which will scare away 99% of attackers, but then again, there is that 1%.
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
:spyder: Anso Zulu
:spyder: Szabo Folder
:spyder: Delica ZDP-189
:spyder: SS Kiwi
:spyder: SS Bug set
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

The idea behind most dedicated self defense knives is that they are almost never used, so the odds of breaking a tip during those occasions would be fairly low - many self defense folks also will tell you that the blade steel is not as paramount as it should be ready, unused and sharp as **** when needed. the tip of a knife like the Matriarch might be more likely to snap on bone or similar, but for the kinds of soft tissue slashes it is designed for, it should be more than sufficiently strong.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not to mention that because they're intended for slashing, rather than stabbing, a Civilian or Matriarch is still quite effective as a weapon, even with a good half inch of the tip snapped off. I look at them the same way I look at motorcycle helmets, if either saves your life once, it's done its job.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
thelock

Post by thelock »

defenestrate wrote:The idea behind most dedicated self defense knives is that they are almost never used, so the odds of breaking a tip during those occasions would be fairly low - many self defense folks also will tell you that the blade steel is not as paramount as it should be ready, unused and sharp as **** when needed. the tip of a knife like the Matriarch might be more likely to snap on bone or similar, but for the kinds of soft tissue slashes it is designed for, it should be more than sufficiently strong.
I agree, but people don't walk around naked lol I still see that tip snapping of during a fast and powerful slash on a leather jacket or something, I might be wrong.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

thelock wrote:I agree, but people don't walk around naked lol I still see that tip snapping of during a fast and powerful slash on a leather jacket or something, I might be wrong.
A sharp blade doesn't have much resistance for things like leather, cloth, or flesh. In fact, without formal testing I would assume it would go through many leather jackets prior to snapping.

Even if bad luck rears it's ugly head and the tip does snap, it would have done so buried in something. It also leaves the remaining 80% of a wicked blade as Paul said. Kinda like when a cat's claw breaks inside it's prey... :eek:

The only thing I see stopping this is a Kevlar vest. It might even need a stab plate. If you're attacking things wearing these vests though chances are you are on the wrong side of the law.
thelock

Post by thelock »

I will do some tests when I get the civilian ;)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

thelock wrote:I will do some tests when I get the civilian ;)
Cool! I'll be sure to not wear a leather jacket around your neighborhood, hehe.
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

IMHO the CIV / Matriarch are truly specialized SD/H2H designs that will only see optimum performance in these roles if the user is specifically trained in use / application of the knife. Targeting with either is soft tissue / muscle meaning face, eyes, nose, cheeks, mouth, ears. Throat / windpipe, as well. Lightly covered soft tissue / muscle groups (fingers, backs of hands, palms, wrists and forearms/upper arms). Inside of upper thighs, lower legs, back of heels, feet (i.e. toes).

Using a CIV or Matriarch for everyday utility purposes is like hunting chipmunks with a S&W Model 29 .44 Magnum.
GW
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Right, but the Civilian was designed to be used by those without training. Just a slash and dash weapon. It's a wicked as heck of a blade, and anything it catches.... that S shape will pretty much trap and shred the flesh (oooh nasty images.) I mean, there's really no "need" to specifically target. I'm probably going to get bit for saying that, but for the untrained user, slashing around with the Civilian may not be as useful as a martial artist using the blade, but it was designed to be an "adequate" self-defense tool, or as adequate as self defense can get. Also, I don't think the civilian's tip is really that useful. You lose a tip on something meant for stabbing, like an icepick, and you're a little bit in trouble. But slashing does not really use the tip, and at worst, you lose a bit of depth in your slashes.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

Have to disagree ref the Civilian. Specifically designed. It was very low profile knife for Spyderco when it came out. Very low profile. When I included it in my sentry removal video from Paladin (Mike Janich was the producer) in '96 or so - and ran it on the cover of the packaging - I heard Sal was kinda uneasy/unhappy about it. Jimmy Keating began specific training in how to use the Civilian about the same time - and that brought it even further into the limelight.

Anyone can "slash and dash" with any sharp edge - the Civilian was originally designed to be used in skilled hands and with specific Intent.

A very close friend of mine, Special Forces with multiple combat tours, has long favored the Civilian and owns about a half dozen. During one deployment he used his Civilian to take forensic samples for DNA testing and registration off a suicide bomber. He shared the Civilian performs very well in this tasking - to include some specific cutting and sawing that needed to be done.

Over multiple deployments and near daily use for one thing or another he's never had a tip malform or snap off.

At times, dependent on the mission, he's carried double Civilians, one clipped into his uniform pants pocket and another on his body armor/kit.

And yes, he's very, very skilled with the Civilian.

I just received my Matriarch 2 from Spyderco this last week (Thank you, Sal). It is a nice evolution for all the right reasons and for low profile carry it is, in my opinion, a nicer "fit" than the Civilian. And it costs alot less to replace.

As noted in an earlier post - the Civilian and now Matriarch are - again in my opinion - the most well designed and made specialty close quarters folders available. If you're trained, and trained well in their specific applications, tactics and techniques they are like race car being driver by a professional driver.

A very, very scary bit of kit :spyder:
GW
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Again Greg, your stories are worth their weight in gold. Thanks for sharing
Harry1922

Post by Harry1922 »

Bumping the up - anyone have more feedback after prolonged use of the matriarch 2 for EDC?

I'm debating between one or a endura to replace my EDC spyderedge Delica.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I love the Emerson "waved" M2.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

Without comparing it in person, that tip looks no more fragile than the tip on some of my old wharncliffe blades which have seen some heavy use.

It should be one of those things where you note the likelihood of failure, remember that you're using a knife, and not try and shmooze a free knife out of anyone if you do end up breaking it. All tools have limits, if you think you can utilize its strong points without stressing its weak point, go for it. I would personally have no qualms about using it for some light shrub and gardening work.
DansGunBlog

Re: Matriarch 2 EDC?

Post by DansGunBlog »

Guys, this was an excellent thread... but the last post was a while back.

Does anyone have some more recent feedback they can share about using the Matriarch (or even Civilian) for EDC / general utility tasks (i.e. in a way, as a larger Tasman Salt)?

Thanks!
Dan
Dan's Gun Blogon TwitterBlogPress

"Do. Or do not. There is no Try." -- Yoda
"Be happy, but never satisfied." -- Bruce Lee
kennethsime

Re: Matriarch 2 EDC?

Post by kennethsime »

DansGunBlog wrote:Guys, this was an excellent thread... but the last post was a while back.

Does anyone have some more recent feedback they can share about using the Matriarch (or even Civilian) for EDC / general utility tasks (i.e. in a way, as a larger Tasman Salt)?

Thanks!
Dan
Hi Dan. I wrote a short thread about my experiences awhile back.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.