Best large folder for food prep

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Yup, Resilience. I don't have one but I'm certain it is one of the, if not the best because I used the Tenacious for food prep before and it's the best at 3.4 inches so the bigger Resilience should get the nod.

With what I own, my ManixXL S90v I just got has surpassed my Millies in the food prep dept. XL and Resilience are very similar bladeshape-wise so those are the two best.

I also use me Endura ZDP and Pacific Salt Serrated... Stretch ZDP is an excellent paring style knife and great overall kitchen slicer.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Unless you're planning a 6 course meal the Endura or one of the Salts would work fine. For extended outdoors I would go with the h1 although vg-10 is quite corrosion resistant.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Nate

Post by Nate »

Now that I think of it, the Endura would be a nice choice if you needed to keep weight down.

Blanked on the Resilience earlier, I like the 4.25" of cutting edge and price.
Cereal_killer

Post by Cereal_killer »

Can't believe no one's mentioned the Chokwe yet. Great blade shape with very little belly, great for dicing and slicing.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

I second the ZDP Stretch. Flat ground 3.5" blade with a nice curve in an awesome steel that's stainless enough. Though a Military feels like it could do pretty well boning out a chicken, I don't see you doing that a whole lot outside. I've never used a Resilience, so I may be missing out.

P.S. First post! Hi guys!
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Military gets my vote.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cereal_killer wrote:Can't believe no one's mentioned the Chokwe yet. Great blade shape with very little belly, great for dicing and slicing.
How well can you get the flat of the blade into a cutting board? Seems like even in a pinch grip it wouldn't work very well.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Of the folders I've owned I'd go with the military.
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

The Endura is a great kitchen knife.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I'm sure the military would work great for soft food. Bread, meat, cheese and stuff because the blade is long enough but when I try to cut an apple or a pepper or something else with it it just breaks it as if I am driving a wedge through it. I need to cut from the tip back and use less of the base of the blade which defeats the purpose of having four inches of blade. As a heavy produce eater it just doesn't work for me like an edura or police would. I don't own either of them but usually carry a para2 and a delica with me and have used both of them extensively. I do food prep with my pocket knives everyday multiple times due to my diet of mostly raw produce. What you are going to be cutting is really the big question. A millie can make a sandwich as good as any knife if not better. It would certainly cut up some stew meat just fine too. A precision food slicer it is not.

The correct answer to this question is different for everybody.

Real kitchen knives have thin stock.

I am different than most as I use my edc knives for food prep more than anything else. I cut up fruit and veggies 10 times more than I cut anything else.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I'm sure the military would work great for soft food. Bread, meat, cheese and stuff because the blade is long enough but ... As a heavy produce eater it just doesn't work for me like an edura or police would. I don't own either of them but usually carry a para2 and a delica with me and have used both of them extensively. I do food prep with my pocket knives everyday multiple times due to my diet of mostly raw produce. ....

Real kitchen knives have thin stock.
So. BFK - are you satisfied with your PM2 or delica for your EDC food chores, or what in spyderco's current line up would you buy (if you were inclined to buy another)? You mentioned endura and police3... one of those or would nothing get you what you would prefer (catcherman or something else)? I don't really see a true folding kitchen knife, but would love a good folding parer.
bearfacedkiller

They work well but are not ideal. An EDC knife is a compromise from the git go. A knife to do a number of different things fairly well so I do not expect them to behave like a kitchen knife. The Super Blue Delica is a great parer. That combo works well for me but i'm sure there is better. Catcherman is the only knife over 3 inches and 2mm or less. Never used one though. People love them. There are multiple threads lately talking about a large folder with thin stock. Google folding fillet knife and you will find some nice options.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... by-MarcinS

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... Any-Chance

There is obvious interest in a larger knife with thinner stock mainly for this purpose.

I do suggest a non spydie in one of these but don't usually like to on here.

I will drag my dead horse out. I would love a Police3 in Super Blue with 2mm stock. You could leave the tang at 3mm and just grind the blade down to 2.5mm or better 2mm. Or an all new knife sharing a lot of those quailties.

I will be buying a Super Blue Stretch but it is still not my dream. Thin is key. All kitchen knives are thin. (well not cleavers but most all)
bearfacedkiller

For me the para2 is ergonomic perfection. That is why it is my very favorite edc knife.

If I find a used catcherman for a good price and I have the money I will jump on it. I fish a lot too.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I love the PM2 as well (I have 2), and have several delicas and enduras, including SB. But I get that all are a little thick for a lot of what I want a kitchen knife for (same as you it sounds), which is why I was wondering if you (or anyone else) had found a better alternative. I think a police in SB that fits your specs would be ideal. Wishing...
bearfacedkiller

All this talk. I pulled the trigger.

http://www.opinel-usa.com/collections/o ... xUbwvmKWuI

I need a catcherman!
Nate

Post by Nate »

bearfacedkiller wrote:All this talk. I pulled the trigger.
Thanks for posting that link. I was not familiar with the "slim" Opinels. A 4" blade weighing in at 1.5oz sounds pretty sweet for lightweight backpacking kit.

I actually just ordered a couple of their carbon paring knives last week, but they're taking forever to get here...
bearfacedkiller

I just want that blade in spyderco knife.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

A spyderco take on the Opinel as one of the ethnic series would be pretty cool.
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

I've used my Military and Resilience as kitchen knives and they work fine as expected. If you keep them clean you won't have any problem.
Nate

Post by Nate »

TomAiello wrote:A spyderco take on the Opinel as one of the ethnic series would be pretty cool.
That would be Awesome!

I actually had a similar idea. If they did one in carbon, they could use the same XC90 as Opinel but run it up to 66 hrc or wherever it maxes out. The name even has some cache' "9090" :D