C65FGP Lum Chinese Sprint Run. V-Numbered vs No Number

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knives_r'us

C65FGP Lum Chinese Sprint Run. V-Numbered vs No Number

Post by knives_r'us »

Hello, I have these 2 Sprint Run Chinese Folders with foliage green aluminum handles. Although the knives have the same model number and look the same to me, they are labeled differently. V-numbered is marked FI, and another one is marked GI on the box label. As far as the "V" is concerned, I've heard that "V" stands for Variation. But I have no idea what this variation is in my particular case. Can somebody please explain to me the difference between those two if there is any, and also if one has better value over the other? Thank you very much!
[ATTACH]23345[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]23346[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]23347[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]23348[/ATTACH]
Attachments
5.jpg
4.jpg
2.JPG
1.jpg
paladin

Post by paladin »

I believe that's a Foliage Green Lum made for Moeteng(sp.?)...it is a great little knife, I think about 600 were made around 2009...FI is the date code, it was manuf. in May 2009...F= 5th letter = 5th month (May), I = 9th letter = 2009...

QUIZ TIME, now interpret your other date code for me... :)
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

The numbered one with the V was part of the first production batch that goes to the collector's club members. The collector who got yours was collector #19. The V means it is a variant of an earlier release (as you noted). Since the first C65 Lum first came out in 2001 as a green aluminum handle, yours is the same model (C65), but a Variation (foliage green). Hope that helps.

The non-numbered one is just part of the regular production run and wasn't set aside for a collector's club member. As for value, it can go either way. Sometime the numbered ones sell for more. Sometimes they sell for less.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Cereal_killer

Post by Cereal_killer »

Usually the collectors club numbers add no value but with it being such a low number it may be a little extra but not much. Your best bet is to search out someone else who has another #19 and see if they want it. I know just recent on BFC there was a guy searching out #100's (be had 3 different ones), about the only person it would be worth extra to is the original (or current) collector's club member #19 who wanted it back or someone else who likes the number 19.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

As noted by others, both your knives are from a Distributor Exclusive run made for Moteng and the presence/absence of a Spyderco Collectors Club number is the only difference between them. As for relative value, some will argue that a CC# increases value by increasing the perception of "rarity". Others will argue the opposite, that CC#'s decrease value by limiting the potential buyer pool, since some folks avoid numbered knives like the plague. Both sides will cite eBay auctions that "prove" their view to be correct, but I don't think there's really any definitive proof either way. Personally, I think that with all the counterfeiting going on these days, there will come a time when numbered knives are the only ones which more savvy (or at least risk averse) buyers will purchase on the secondary market. However, that day may still be a ways off.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Not that far off Paul, that is my exact buying methodology already...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
knives_r'us

Post by knives_r'us »

Thanks a lot!
knives_r'us

Post by knives_r'us »

Thank you Kyle! Your response was very helpful and greatly appreciated.
knives_r'us

Post by knives_r'us »

Thank you so much! Your response was very helpful and greatly appreciated.