Pygmy Warrior Update T&E

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
THFH

Pygmy Warrior Update T&E

Post by THFH »

Let’s keep this thread on topic. The Warrior Knife history and MDE history has been well covered in the other threads.
The latest Pygmy sample I received from Spyderco was a production model for evaluation of both the knife and sheath.

The workmanship on the knife was excellent with matching grind lines and excellent finish. In order to test out the “stackable handles I had to get three extra #6-32 X .5” LG X 82 degree Flat Head; Black. The local hardware only had these in hex head. The .5 is necessary to stack three (two spacers and one handle) on one side. Prior to leaving for the Shot Show Sal assured they will be included with the possibility of another G-10 handle for a going to three handle plates on each side.
The entire reason for the stackable handles was the weakest link in a CQB edged weapon is the human hand. Being able to tailor the handle to fit ones hand not only increases the grip strength but in utilizing the knife to its fullest potential, grip strength is paramount in plane of attack. Testing seven different people was done by taping the blade and a wearing heavy glove if the knife could be moved out of position we changed the handle configuration. Only one person with freakishly large hands wished there was a triple handle on both sides, although it wasn’t a necessity. With a double stack on the inside (palm side) it was possible to cap off the handle to increase security another advantage.
The factory sheath was excellent with the G clip it allows for a multitude of carry options I don’t know if Spyderco will offer an IWB strap. In place of an IWB strap a para-cord pull draw works as well. This knife is going out to Mike Sastre for some River City Sheath Magic and when I get two I will have Mike make a Gemini sheath ala the ones he did for the Pikuni for me. While you might lose some in the grip department the dual carry has a distinct advantage. Nothing beats the surprise factor of having dual Pygmy’s in a serious social encounter.
Does it work? Oh **** yea. I took a six pound pork roast prior to cooking it in the pressure cooker to make pulled pork. Suspending it so it was free hanging and covering it with an old BDU pant leg, with both overhand and side strikes it buried the blade to the hand and upon withdraw, which required holding the roast with the free hand it gave new meaning to shredded pork. Like all the Warrior designs with the teeth the wound channel looks like a chainsaw cut.
Sorry for the delay but physical therapy and rehab after surgery was at the top of my list.

I sent the photos of the knife to Kristy to post when she gets around to it. Being an analog man in a digital world, the web and posting isn’t my forte.

Any questions about price and release date I defer to Spyderco.

Bob Taylor DSP
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Thanks for the info Bob...it is an honour to see you involved with this little beauty... :)

The stackable handle option is a great idea...I have medium size hands, and the original Al Mar Warrior handle was a tad too wide for me...

I await the pics of this offering by Sal and Co with antici......................................pation... :)
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Images as promised...

Pygmy Warrior:

Pikuni Images:

There is nothing more important than this one day.
Stuart Ackerman

Thank you Taz...that was rather rapid...
Stuart Ackerman

The Pikuni knives are interesting too...
Mike157

Post by Mike157 »

Thank you for the update and pictures Bob. Thank you for posting those pictures Kristi. I'm definitely in for one of these. Mike
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Soon I hope :)
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

whats this pikuni set you've shown? Is that a production set thats coming out? I'm guessing this means it's close to production
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

That's a mean little bugger. Sign me up!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

Thanks for the post, Bob!! Pygmy looks great when seen in the hand - lotta Fugly Attitude to it! If you have a picture post, then they should be coming soon. Can't wait!!
THFH

Post by THFH »

It appears that I committed a Forum sin. Showing a photo of a knife on the Forum from another manufacture. The Pikuni was a Rob Simonich design manufactured by REKAT. The only reason it was shown was to illustrate a double knife in a sheath. The double knife in the sheath configuration was made by Mike Sastre for me. Sorry for the confusion.
Bob Taylor DSP
Brother_Grimm

Post by Brother_Grimm »

Great looking knife guys!! I have a couple versions of this knife and can't wait to get my hands on this one. Looks like a whole lotta concealable nastiness.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limitations.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I'm a little confused by the Pygmy warrior. Is it a new design? Or a design being given the spyderco treatment? I see it listed in my 2014 catalog but there is no "new" sticker next to it.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

The design has been around for a while, but never put into production. Before REKAT decided to close its doors, the Pygmy Warrior was the last project to hit the prototype stage, but that's as far as it got. 3 protos were made, I did the sheaths for them, but then REKAT chose to go out of business. When Sal and Mike Janich visited Bob Taylor to find the true history of the Warrior knife's development, they were shown the Pygmy protos, and Sal expressed an interest in making it. So it is an old design given the Spyderco treatment, but new because it never went into production. It is also listed in the 2012 catalog, so does not warrant a "new" tag. It just has taken this long to make sure that the original concept of the Pygmy's design is delivered with the customary Spyderco quality. I have wanted one of these since doing the sheaths on the original prototypes, so have been waiting many, many years. I am very happy now that these are coming out.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Thank you for the history. That makes a lot of sense to me now as I've tried to piece this stuff together on my own from the various threads.

So it's possible we will be seeing these this year?

@liquid_cobra
Brother_Grimm

Post by Brother_Grimm »

Will that be the production sheath? It looks like you can't get a full combat grip on the handle as the sheath blocks the finger grove closest to the edge ofthe Pygmy. If it does block a full grip prior to the draw, does it impede the draw at all?

Thanks in advance.

Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

I may actually get the Pygmy. The full sized Warrior is a tad bit too large for my purposes, not to mention the upswept blade doesn't appeal to me.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Bob and Taz. Good stuff.

No prob on the Pikuni, Rob was a great guy.

Just got back to town and wading through stuff.

sal
THFH

Post by THFH »

Brother_Grim
To the best of my knowledge thats the production sheath. There is no problem with tthe draw and finger placement, there is a very slight adjustment, but nothing that practice won't cure for a production sheath it rates very good to excellent.

Bob Taylor DSP
Brother_Grimm

Post by Brother_Grimm »

Thanks for the reply Mr. Taylor. Being that this blade is designed for social encounters you don't want to have to do much readjustment of your grip once your hand is on it. I have a couple variations of this knife from other manufacturers and I'm looking forward to getting at least two of the Pygmy. Again, thanks for the input and the pics.